lowering for performance

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
OK what is the most y'all would lower these vehicles a far as a performance aspect goes, also when it comes to rims what's the biggest y'all would run, I want to have the SLEEPER look if y'all know what I mean, so no big rims, I just don't know what size I would run, I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 20 inch rim
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
My truck has the belltech lowering kit. 2/3 drop. Springs and street performance shocks in rear. Up front stock springs and belltech lowering struts. Awesome daily driver. If ur 2wd...i'd go with the djm 2/4 drop just because an inch lower in ass end and u get the uca for alignment with the kit. ( u can also use the djm uca for any lowering kit) awesome handling. I also have 20's for wheels size. Won't go any bigger.
441e62e6-8448-d082.jpg
441e62e6-8455-c422.jpg
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
psycho91 said:
Will the weight of the bigger rims make any difference

Yes..
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Well I see u have an xuv w/ the 4.2. Well ur not dragging the strip so if ur gonna lower 20's would look damn good. Mostly guys that race down the strip wuld go with the smaller wheels.
 

ItsOnVoy

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,401
silvernclean said:
Well I see u have an xuv w/ the 4.2. Well ur not dragging the strip so if ur gonna lower 20's would look damn good. Mostly guys that race down the strip wuld go with the smaller wheels.

:iagree: Hopefully your not taking your truck to a strip lol but 20" rims and a lower kit like silvernclean has would look the best!! Now performance wise not sure what your looking for but speed wise our I6's are quick but nothing special so I wouldn't make speed an issue and worry about it with the 20's, I would get the rims! SS rims look the best on our trucks IMO but that is up to you of course on that! :thumbsup:
 

03envoy

Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
[SUP][/SUP]
ItsOnVoy said:
:iagree: Hopefully your not taking your truck to a strip lol but 20" rims and a lower kit like silvernclean has would look the best!! Now performance wise not sure what your looking for but speed wise our I6's are quick but nothing special so I wouldn't make speed an issue and worry about it with the 20's, I would get the rims! SS rims look the best on our trucks IMO but that is up to you of course on that! :thumbsup:


Taking and I6 4.2 and an XUV being that heavy, would be rediculas. I wouldn't even consider taking my SWB to a strip. Lmao sorry thought that it was funny. I pictured a bus going down the strip :raspberry::rotfl:
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Now if ur talking performance as in cornering ability ...u should pm NORCAL SS. He owns and operates tbssowners.com. he knows his shit. So contact him.
 

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
Did I say it was going down the strip, I want to be able to spank any punk ass kid ass when they think their hot shit and want to race, hence why I was going to go with the sleeper look, and a bus, that's a good one I will agree on that, the xuv is so long
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Well big ed has a lowered lwb 360. Check his ride out. Xuv's are rare so u prolly won't find a lot of those on the forum. Few and far between. But it'd look nice lowered.
 

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
Xuv's are rare, I didn't know that, I'm actually stick between lowering it or raising it, I like the look of both, but the lack of xuv pics makes it hard
 

03envoy

Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
psycho91 said:
Xuv's are rare, I didn't know that, I'm actually stick between lowering it or raising it, I like the look of both, but the lack of xuv pics makes it hard


There was a guy on the OS that had a lifted XUV and honestly if I was you, I would lift it. I don't think you will get the results you want being lowered. But, that's my opinion. I love the lowered look and I love Silvernclean's lowered envoy. I would drop mine but I need to get through some deep snow...:frown:

Silvernclean
How does it ride lowered? Stiffer than stock or the same? Has cornering and drive ability changed?
 

MDBT

Member
Jan 26, 2012
223
03envoy said:

I have typed this reply about 10 times, I can't find a good way to explain how stuipid I think that XUV owner is for the rhino lining and how horrible it looks. As for the lift, he's running the same half-worn all terrain tires both before and after. So please OP only look at the height difference and don't copy anything else that guy did.

There is a member out there somewhere with an XUV on SS wheels and an oversized tire. He's at stock height but had to do some "trimming" to get it to fit. I think it looks great, but perhaps would have been better off with a lift.

You have a large SUV with a 0-60 time over 8 seconds; you're not going to be beating much of anyone in a straight line street race unless they're driving a mid-90's honda four cylinder sedan. I like the lifted idea, I think it'd look great and I think it's a better idea to focus on the looks than straight line performance which isn't likely to be helped with any lowering kit or lift.
 

03envoy

Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
MDBT said:
I have typed this reply about 10 times, I can't find a good way to explain how stuipid I think that XUV owner is for the rhino lining and how horrible it looks. As for the lift, he's running the same half-worn all terrain tires both before and after. So please OP only look at the height difference and don't copy anything else that guy did.

There is a member out there somewhere with an XUV on SS wheels and an oversized tire. He's at stock height but had to do some "trimming" to get it to fit. I think it looks great, but perhaps would have been better off with a lift.

You have a large SUV with a 0-60 time over 8 seconds; you're not going to be beating much of anyone in a straight line street race unless they're driving a mid-90's honda four cylinder sedan. I like the lifted idea, I think it'd look great and I think it's a better idea to focus on the looks than straight line performance which isn't likely to be helped with any lowering kit or lift.



:iagree: but, if you decide to get the rims I wouldn't go any less than 20's.

If you go lifted, don't rhino line the damn thing. It will look like shit if you do it over half the way up the doors. I would go with marks original kit. And if you wanted to put some 20's on with the lift and run some large tires that would look great! Thats the way you should go:yes:
 

NORCAL SS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
165
psycho91 said:
OK what is the most y'all would lower these vehicles a far as a performance aspect goes, also when it comes to rims what's the biggest y'all would run, I want to have the SLEEPER look if y'all know what I mean, so no big rims, I just don't know what size I would run, I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 20 inch rim

you want it to handle well here we go done many trucks liek this

my front modified uppers
TBSSowners.com Store - Modified Trailblazer DJM A -Arms wo/drop (Powered by CubeCart)

kw complete suspension set up
TBSSowners.com Store - Belltech Coilovers/Shocks/3 Inch Rear Drop Spring (Powered by CubeCart)


then the djm rear bar i helped design
TBSSowners.com Store - DJM Trailblazer Rear Swaybar (Powered by CubeCart)


do that and thing will handle like on rails.
 

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
That's way more then I would pay to lower it, and there's way more out there that I could beat besides a Honda, LOL, but I will agree with y'all there to, my envoy isn't exactly a sports car, it more of a suv station wagon, lol
 

NORCAL SS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
165
psycho91 said:
That's way more then I would pay to lower it, and there's way more out there that I could beat besides a Honda, LOL, but I will agree with y'all there to, my envoy isn't exactly a sports car, it more of a suv station wagon, lol


ok what is the max budget you want to spend on lowering and I can dial in a kit for you.
 

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
Wow, I would never do that to my envoy, why rhino line it, and his would look so much better with bigger tires
 

psycho91

Original poster
Member
Mar 27, 2012
62
NORCAL SS said:
ok what is the max budget you want to spend on lowering and I can dial in a kit for you.

Whether I lower it or lift it I want yo do is as cheap as possible, but I want it to be safe and reliable, I know rims and tires if I go either way is going to be an arm and a leg
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
He still needs to know ur max budget. If u go for the minimum (not to be a smart ass) letting air outta ur tires will lower it. Lol. He just wants to know ur max budget cuz there is more than one way to lower it. And only 1 right way and I am not even to that yet. If u get ur envoy lowered or lifted) u might hafta replace tie rods...ball joints if they are worn b4 u get an alignment. I spent about $1000 just for lowering kit 2 new tie rods and ubj. (Upper ball joint). And that's doing the replacement parts myself. (Well regulator and I).
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
psycho91 said:
Wow, I would never do that to my envoy, why rhino line it, and his would look so much better with bigger tires

He rhino lined it cuz if he got damge from being on a trail he didn't wanna care about rusting etc..some people that actually lift there trucks go trailing and are not mall crawlers.
 

NORCAL SS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
165
psycho91 said:
Whether I lower it or lift it I want yo do is as cheap as possible, but I want it to be safe and reliable, I know rims and tires if I go either way is going to be an arm and a leg

please explain cheap as possible. My cheap as possible is 800 dollars but might be the same for you.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Ur best bet is to go with some eibach springs or just lower the ass to match the stock height in the front. That's just for springs. U should also upgrade your struts and shocks also. Stock compenents aren't ment to be lowered with. Do u have coils in the ass end??
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Just pay attention to the classifieds on here .... and someone soon enuf will sell a lowering or lift kit.
 

NORCAL SS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
165
psycho91 said:
Around $200/$300



Front belltech drop springs
rear belltech drop springs
rear belltech sp shocks
$415 shipped

That would at least give you a great ride in rear and fresh start with shocks
 

03envoy

Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
NORCAL SS said:
Front belltech drop springs
rear belltech drop springs
rear belltech sp shocks
$415 shipped

That would at least give you a great ride in rear and fresh start with shocks

Wish what I used the truck for allowed me to lower:frown: I would definitly jump on this deal!:thumbsup:
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Wht do u use ur truck for. U can tow....use 4wd. My 4wd works perfectly in snow and does great.
 

NORCAL SS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
165
03envoy said:
Wish what I used the truck for allowed me to lower:frown: I would definitly jump on this deal!:thumbsup:

so you know i have a customer that tows his grand national with the same set up no issues.
 

03envoy

Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
NORCAL SS said:
so you know i have a customer that tows his grand national with the same set up no issues.


I tow in snow though:frown:
 

03envoy

Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
silvernclean said:
Wht do u use ur truck for. U can tow....use 4wd. My 4wd works perfectly in snow and does great.



I tow my two sleds currently through about 20" of snow on average. I got stuck twice just in one trip. I am currently the only vechical in my family that has 4wd and can usually get through that stuff. So lowering really isnt an option at the time:sadcry: I love the look of the lowered. But, Hopefully my family gets a couple 4wd for there next couple trucks.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
03envoy said:
Once I get my dad to get a 4wd, I will join the party!!!:yes:

Bad ass man!! Can't wait to help. (Its not that bad of a job). Just keep ur eye open for a kit in the classifieds.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
When I bought my kit I paid $100 per lowering strut(belltech) and $60 per shock(belltech street performance) locally. I bought some lowering springs from a guy off the os. But only used the rear springs since I bought the lowering struts for the front. Bought new strut mounts. Thanks to tony for talkin me into using the dropstruts instead of the coils. The struts also lower the front a lil more than the springs do and a better ride. Now I need to get the djm uca's to align a lil better.if u have any ??'s ask tony (aka NORCAL SS)
 

03envoy

Member
Dec 25, 2011
537
silvernclean said:
When I bought my kit I paid $100 per lowering strut(belltech) and $60 per shock(belltech street performance) locally. I bought some lowering springs from a guy off the os. But only used the rear springs since I bought the lowering struts for the front. Bought new strut mounts. Thanks to tony for talkin me into using the dropstruts instead of the coils. The struts also lower the front a lil more than the springs do and a better ride. Now I need to get the djm uca's to align a lil better.if u have any ??'s ask tony (aka NORCAL SS)


Will do! I am going to keep my eye out for some lowering parts.... Yea, Tony is great I asked a couple questions and he got right back with me. I am seriously considering it.

Sorry OP for the HIJACK!
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,397
Posts
638,826
Members
18,611
Latest member
DirtEater73

Members Online