Looking to replace Michelin Cross Terrain's at 130K

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've got about 4/32nd's left on my tires and I read that in the snow belt you should have at least 6/32 on the tires during the winter. But what gets me is that these Michelins come new with only about 11/32. So given that I can only really use them for a few years until 5 of those 32nd's are gone puts a bitter taste in my mouth. Also to add insult to injury the Michelin Cross Terrains are still high at about $185 a piece. This is even with a $70 REBATE at Costco. However on TireRack.com owners give the Cross Terrains good reviews and Michelin is consistently given praise due to the fact their tires last into the 80-100k mile range which sounds good but dunno how soon they wear to that 6/32 level.

since I am looking for another set( same brand if worth it) i am having a hard time with all the choices. Just wondering what you think I should go with. I don't do any off road and certainly want good fuel economy but yet able to tow 5k. So my options are to go with highway All Season tires and stay away from All Terrain. I would like to keep the price lower at around $600 for the 4. I appreciate any comments you might have.:smile:

Tire size is 245/65 17

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Before I bought my snow plow, I was looking to go Highway All Season. I had decided on Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S. Take a look, you might like em, and I really like to research tires... so they have my :thumbsup:
links for 16'' rims:
Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051

Tire Details - Discount Tire

In the end I bought another set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR, a more aggressive tire, which treated me well and lasted 50k.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I'm sure you know, the wear bar is used to tell when the thread is worn off the tire. The wear bar, is at a height of 2/32. I think if you have 6/32 (out of only 11/32 to start with) you still have a lot of good rubber on the tires.

Yes, worn tires will increase the winter stopping distance, but so will tires that get too hard in the cold. The only real way to improve winter stopping distance is to use a tire that is considered an ice tire.

If stopping is not the main concern, I think 6/32 is lots of rubber for lateral stability.

If traction is the concern, I use 4wd.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
RayVoy said:
I'm sure you know, the wear bar is used to tell when the thread is worn off the tire. The wear bar, is at a height of 2/32. I think if you have 6/32 (out of only 11/32 to start with) you still have a lot of good rubber on the tires.

Yes, worn tires will increase the winter stopping distance, but so will tires that get too hard in the cold. The only real way to improve winter stopping distance is to use a tire that is considered an ice tire.

If stopping is not the main concern, I think 6/32 is lots of rubber for lateral stability.

If traction is the concern, I use 4wd.

Hmm. Yeah thinking about waiting until next year. Will give me some time to save up some cash.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I had cross terrains on last winter with 7/32 and had no problems what do ever. I'd have them on this winter only someone was nice enough to provide ventilation in the side wall :-( with a knife. Arseholes

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Holy cow. Taking a closer look at these things and they look old. The sidewall is cracking. I wonder if they are the originals? Nah, they wouldn't last 130K would they? These have to be the second set.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I had the same tires you had and I have all that stuff through discount tire and when I went to them I have like 4 and 3 on the tires so they had to be changed. Crappy part I only drove 30k miles on them when they should last like 65k. So they discounted the new tires 30k so they were half the price to replace and I got the michelin latitude which should be more quiet and so far so good. They are smooth and good tires

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
I had the same tires you had and I have all that stuff through discount tire and when I went to them I have like 4 and 3 on the tires so they had to be changed. Crappy part I only drove 30k miles on them when they should last like 65k. So they discounted the new tires 30k so they were half the price to replace and I got the michelin latitude which should be more quiet and so far so good. They are smooth and good tires

Yeah I think I am going to go with the Latitudes or some Cross Terrains next year about this time. I looked on the inside sidewall and the tires are dated 1208. Which is December 2008. The spare is 0505

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The Cross-terrains are good tires in comparison to a lot of Goodyears and other less-quality makes. But users who rate them highly have probably never tried the LTX M/S. I have.

In my opinion, the LTX M/S are the best street/highway tires for our platforms that I have ever found. There was a noticeable improvement over the previous Cross-terrains. (Handling is very very important to me and I spend a lot of time and energy scientifically balancing the handling of my Trailblazer to as neutral as possible.)

One set of LTX M/S tires on my previous Blazer were replaced because of sidewall cracks after 6 years, not from wear.

On the day I bought my Trailblazer, I drove it straight to the tire shop for new shocks, rims and a set of Michelin LTX M/S. Living in Canada, I also bought a set of Latitude X-ice winter tires too for the stock wheels.

Best tires ever.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
For an all terrain, Ive had great luck with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo and Revo 2s on both my 02 and 08 SS. Honestly right now the Kumho Road Venture APT KL61s that are on the 02 are excellent in snow, have good dry and wet traction. Im glad I didnt spend the extra $$ to get the Revos, these Kumho tires have been absolutely fantastic.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Chickenhawk said:
In my opinion, the LTX M/S are the best street/highway tires for our platforms that I have ever found. There was a noticeable improvement over the previous Cross-terrains. /QUOTE]

I put 255/65/17 LTX MS2's on, great tire.

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Yeah I think I am going to go with the Latitudes or some Cross Terrains next year about this time. I looked on the inside sidewall and the tires are dated 1208. Which is December 2008. The spare is 0505

The date code you have is not Dec 08, it is the 12th week of 08 or around April 08. Therefor your spare is the 5th week of 05 or Feb 08. Took me a long time to figure this out, just thought you might like to know.

Also thought I read where someone was saying the sidewalls are checked. My tire guy says this is very common with Michelin's but nothing to worry about. Keep in mind I live in Canada and we don't have the really long hot periods like you guys do in the deep south. I think the heat kills more old tires rather than the cold. :twocents:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I liked my OE cross-terrains and they were smooth with decent fuel economy. However in the snow here they seemed lacking and were almost worthless uphill without 4WD.

I had a set of the Latitude Tours and they are hands-down, the best highway tire you can put on that wheel in OE size. I don't think I will go with the Latitude's anymore after a few nervous moments in the rain, snow traction was decent.

I am running the Continental Cross Contack LX-20 now and IMO, Michelin doesn't have anything that can touch these in the handling and braking department. Wet traction and torrential rain style driving I have used nothing better. They don't have the pillow-top, plushness of the Latitude and if I had to rate them in smoothness to the Latitude I would give the Latitude a 95 and the LX-20 a 92....not much difference but the extra sidewall strength, superior wet performance, and handling make up for any "plushness"

At 50-60 MPH I don't even hear them if that matters, they are amazingly quiet.

Capt... if you get alot of snow and ice, I would highly recommend the Blizzak DM-V1. I use these on a set of steel wheels when the first snow hits and let me tell you something.....you will be blown away what these do in 2WD, let alone 4WD. Braking is unbelievable and that's no exaggeration, first time I tested the braking was on very packed snow and was practically iced over but had some powder on top. I nailed the brakes and my coffee cup flipped out of the cup holder, the fact you can avoid accidents is paramount when it comes to snow and these tires have given me a level of confidence I have never had with winter tires.

I can do in 2WD with the Blizzaks that I couldn't do in 4WD with the Cross-Terrains.

Problem is they don't last long if you don't rotate them and drive them hard...tread is very soft but I'm looking at about 5 seasons for them easy.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Check out Cooper tires. Have heard some good things about them. Was going to put them on the truck this time but got a deal on a set of Bridgestones Desert duelers that I could not turn down. Really like them so far.

Dec 4, 2011
Fire06 said:
Check out Cooper tires. Have heard some good things about them. Was going to put them on the truck this time but got a deal on a set of Bridgestones Desert duelers that I could not turn down. Really like them so far.

I too have had Coopers in the past and when my Cross Terrains finally give up the ghost I will put a set on. The only problem is that when I got my truck they had 275/55x18's. I really like the size upgrade from the 245/60X18's but the 275's are as scarce as hen's teeth. Cooper makes a 255/55X18 Discover CTS that leading the pack for now unless something else comes along before next summer.

My son-in-law just put a set of Cooper Discover AT3's on his Pathfinder and seems to like them, but they only have a few months on them.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
jbones said:
Chickenhawk said:
In my opinion, the LTX M/S are the best street/highway tires for our platforms that I have ever found. There was a noticeable improvement over the previous Cross-terrains. /QUOTE]

I put 255/65/17 LTX MS2's on, great tire.

Man I wish they offered that in the OE size.

I hear the + size works well and fills the wheelwell nicely. That was definately an option.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
gmcman said:
I liked my OE cross-terrains and they were smooth with decent fuel economy. However in the snow here they seemed lacking and were almost worthless uphill without 4WD.

I had a set of the Latitude Tours and they are hands-down, the best highway tire you can put on that wheel in OE size. I don't think I will go with the Latitude's anymore after a few nervous moments in the rain, snow traction was decent.

I am running the Continental Cross Contack LX-20 now and IMO, Michelin doesn't have anything that can touch these in the handling and braking department. Wet traction and torrential rain style driving I have used nothing better. They don't have the pillow-top, plushness of the Latitude and if I had to rate them in smoothness to the Latitude I would give the Latitude a 95 and the LX-20 a 92....not much difference but the extra sidewall strength, superior wet performance, and handling make up for any "plushness"

At 50-60 MPH I don't even hear them if that matters, they are amazingly quiet.

Capt... if you get alot of snow and ice, I would highly recommend the Blizzak DM-V1. I use these on a set of steel wheels when the first snow hits and let me tell you something.....you will be blown away what these do in 2WD, let alone 4WD. Braking is unbelievable and that's no exaggeration, first time I tested the braking was on very packed snow and was practically iced over but had some powder on top. I nailed the brakes and my coffee cup flipped out of the cup holder, the fact you can avoid accidents is paramount when it comes to snow and these tires have given me a level of confidence I have never had with winter tires.

I can do in 2WD with the Blizzaks that I couldn't do in 4WD with the Cross-Terrains.

Problem is they don't last long if you don't rotate them and drive them hard...tread is very soft but I'm looking at about 5 seasons for them easy.

where did you get your continentals? I am looking at Tirerack.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
When I need tires, one of the first places I check is the dealer........................................no, not to pay full off the shelf price.

Ask the parts/tire guy if the have any "take offs" in your size.

Take offs are the oem tires a new truck (or car) buyer doesn't want on the truck, ie: "I'll take the truck if you put off-road tires on it"

No miles, just like a new tire; but sold as used.

About 1/2 the $ of a new one.

But, also no choice, your probably buying highway (mild all season) tires that will perform very well at 75 mph and give good mpg

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
I am running Cooper CTS on my 07 TB and Cooper CS4 on my 07 Grand Prix. Both tires are great in both the snow and rain. Each set has 20K on them and still look like new. They are rotated every 7500 miles.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
meerschm said:
where did you get your continentals? I am looking at Tirerack.

Local shop can get them, I was going to purchase from Tire Rack but they're price was the same as the Rack plus shipping. Really best choice if something is wrong with them, I don't like dealing with returns via shipping when tires are concerned.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
I got a set of 245/70/17 Michelin ltx ms2 in December. They have over 13k miles on them now and look new still. Expensive tire but worth the money imo. A friend has 65k on theirs and it still has plenty of tread. Traction is great even in a couple inches of water, ride is good, and there quiet. Only problem is the price. The larger size looks good as it fills the wheel wells a bit. (Edit: the initial cost is high but out of the tires I was looking at they were cheepest per mile assuming they all get there warantied ammount)

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
tblazerdude said:
Before I bought my snow plow, I was looking to go Highway All Season. I had decided on Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S. Take a look, you might like em, and I really like to research tires... so they have my :thumbsup:
links for 16'' rims:
Yokohama*Geolandar H/T-S G051

Tire Details - Discount Tire

In the end I bought another set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR, a more aggressive tire, which treated me well and lasted 50k.

i owned these tires and i can say that they really suck in the snow.. they also did not have much of a life to them.. only got 40k out of them.. for the price i feel it's not worth the tire.. goodyear makes a really good tire for the same price that will get you over 60k.. just a thought from somone who had the yokohama geolander's.:no:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FWIW My Firestone Destination ATs have been great tires. They have 46k miles miles on them now, rated for 50k, but there is a lot more than 4k left on them (I haven't measure the actual depth). Traction has been really good too. Just a thought.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sparky said:
FWIW My Firestone Destination ATs have been great tires. They have 46k miles miles on them now, rated for 50k, but there is a lot more than 4k left on them (I haven't measure the actual depth). Traction has been really good too. Just a thought.

That just reminded me that Firestone now has the Destination LE2 now, looking at it at least the tread design looks promising. Maybe something to look into if they offer it in our size, I haven't researched it but did read alot of good reviews about the original Destination LE.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
One more thing, you may want to contact Michelin and see when the Cross Terrains were discontinued....I'm almost positive they have been out of production and anything left is old stock. Tire Rack had them earlier this year for just over $220 each and are now back down in price.

I'm not 100% on that but double-check first.

However for $169 each the LX-20 gets my vote.

Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
jbones said:
Man I wish they offered that in the OE size.

I hear the + size works well and fills the wheelwell nicely. That was definately an option.

Check out this link, it let's you put in your stock tire size and then anything else you can dream up and compares the two on several different parameters. The site also goes on to explain that you should stay within 3% of your stock size for best results.

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing :thumbsup:

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I noticed last year that my spare is a full size Michelin Cross Terrain on a steel wheel. The tire looks brand new. I was wondering if I should use it up and only buy three new tires and put a used tire in the spare spot? Or should I get four new tires and put one of the new in the spare spot?

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I would get four new tires. The Mich being used as a spare is (assuming that it is original) 7 years old. Not sure how it would stand up to every day use but I think would be disappointed . That spare tire has been 7 years in the elements under the truck.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Holy cow. Taking a closer look at these things and they look old. The sidewall is cracking. I wonder if they are the originals? Nah, they wouldn't last 130K would they? These have to be the second set.

Definitely not original to the truck-they would have never lasted that long.

Sounds like you encountered one of the problems those tires are known for-not resisting weather checking :yes:

They absoultely suck in the snow and the rain.

We bought our truck used at 23,000 miles, and I religiously kept up on the tire pressure. They didn't make 40,000 miles before they were down to the wear bars :frown:

Much happier with the Goodyear Fortera HL's that we replaced them with. Don't know how they do in the snow, we use a set of studded Nokian Nordman SUV's in the winter :wootwoot:

Nimrod

Dec 12, 2012
We got about 50k miles on the original Crossovers. Just replaced them with Uni Royal Laredo tires. Uni Royals are now owned by Michelle tires. So far so good. Very quiet and good traction, can't comment on the snow.
Originally from Grand Rapids but relocated in 69.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
My cross terrains went for about 60000 miles and had mileage left when I put a nail in the side wall

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I have a set of Michelin Harmony tires on the van, installed just over 2 years ago and have 54K on them. Love those tires and have about 15-20K left. The sidewalls on all 4 are starting to crack.

The Cross-Terrains that were OE on the envoy were cracking after 3 years. My Latitude Tours were cracking at 60K after 3 1/2 years. The Michelin Pilot XGT tires on my Grand Am were installed in 1998 and have absoultely ZERO cracks in the sidewalls. They also have a big Made in the USA stamp on them as well.

Not sure what's up with these tires nowadays but they don't command their price for this type of QC IMO. Many reviews state sidewall cracking issues with Michelin but prob the case with many tires.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
My Cross Terrains were original to the vehicle from 2006. I replaced them about 1.5 years ago with another set of Cross Terrains since the first set lasted 72,000 miles. Discount Tire price matched (and ultimately beat) a Sam's Club quote I had presented them. IIRC, Michelin pushed out the CT's in many of its sizes as the Latitude Tours were the official replacement. Don't know about the GMT 360's stock 17 inch tire size though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online