Looking for power in the tailgate

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
Does anyone know if there's a switched power source inside the tailgate?

I'm installing a backup camera specifically for trailer hookup & would like to be able to have it simply powered up when the ignition is on. I'm kind of hoping not to have to run a separate power source.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The LGM is powered full time, listening for a signal from the key fob to (un)lock the vehicle. Here's a schematic, you'll probably have to run your own signal to the camera, if you want it mounted in the gate.

Clip_5.jpg

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
The LGM is powered full time, listening for a signal from the key fob to (un)lock the vehicle. Here's a schematic, you'll probably have to run your own signal to the camera, if you want it mounted in the gate.

View attachment 102161
Kinda where I'm at ATM...
Don't really want to run another wire just for switched power.

One option I'm considering is powering the camera off the licence plate light circuit. At least that'll avoid useless drain on the battery when the truck is parked.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well you have to run one for the camera video feed and the power wire is usually inside the video wire. Those wires run all the way to the head unit so you can hook up the power to the radio power wire.

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
The video cable DOES have a signal wire...
Seems to be about 28 AWG...
If all else fails, I may try it. But over that distance, my expectations are low.

Tinker

Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Southern Ontario
Not having any interest in controlling the camera with the reverse circuit, that particular item is a non-issue.
OTOH... seriously detest parasitic power draws when the truck is parked.

I did make a bizarre discovery while wiring the camera to the licence plate light circuit. The tailgate of this thing is not actually grounded. WTH? Circuits are grounded through the wiring harness only. That's odd...
Still need to dig out a switch for the screen power.

Meanwhile, I'm deeply impressed with the cheapest available camera & screen from Amazon.

Attachments

• 2021-11-07 16.05.43.jpg
    2021-11-07 16.05.43.jpg
    700 KB · Views: 6
  • 2021-11-07 16.03.31.jpg
    2021-11-07 16.03.31.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 6

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The tailgate of this thing is not actually grounded. WTH? Circuits are grounded through the wiring harness only. That's odd...

:undecided: If the body, or gate itself, were painted before the hinges went on, there isn't direct metal to metal contact for a good ground. That's the best explanation I can think of.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Pretty good paint job... retained it's insulative properties for 14 years...
:rotfl:
Come on now, this is a GM.. Thats just not possible!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online