Looking for opinions on oil and oil filters

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
The Trailblazer is due for an oil change soon. It has 290,xxx miles on it.
I'm curious what oil filters you all use?
I want to use a good filter but not break the bank.
I was using Purolator oil filters since they were cheap. But Walmart stopped carrying them for some reason. My next choice would be a NAPA filter (I believe they are a wix filter, correct?).
I won't use Fram filters.
Are the Walmart brand super tech filters the same as Fram?
I have been using the super tech conventional oil. Is there any benefit to using the "high mileage" oil?

Thanks for any opinions/input.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I believe NAPA filters are Wix. I personally use M1 filters because I get them in the oil change specials with the M1 oil I use.

If you have 290k miles on your vehicle I'd just keep doing what you've been doing. Obviously it is working :biggrin:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
My Walmart carries acdelco oe filters, in theory they should be just about the best. Something like 4-5 bucks.

I, myself, wouldn't use cheap oil like supertech. I always use valvoline myself for conventional. Of course synthetic blend or full synthetic is better, depends how much you wanna spend though.

Most important thing is changing the oil when it needs to be changed.

Reactions: dmanns67

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I also use Purolator, or AC Delco if I Can't get Purolator.

I am not an oil snob. So long as the oil meets the SAE standards I generally just buy what's on sale. I run most of my vehicles to 160k to 200k. Engines always run top notch. In my experience the key is less about the brand you use, and as Mounce said, more about the regularity of changing the oil.

My Sierra had a lifter tick. Last oil change I saw a generic (store brand) of synthetic oil on sale for less than than $3 a quart. I was never sold on the idea of synthetic, but for that price I thought, why not? Wow! What a difference. The tick is gone and the engine is very quiet now. I'm sold on synthetic now. Going to try it my HHR this weekend.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Supertech oil is GM approved for even new vehicles with the high standards. My buddy was amazed enough he had to tell me just yesterday.

I have religiously used the cheapest oil I can find on all my vehicles for a couple decades and have surpassed 200K miles and 300K on some.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The super tech filters are made by champion labs, the same company that makes Delco and a lot of other brands. In my experience the E-core Delco filters are exactly the same as the Walmart filters. I wouldn't be worried. The older version of the delco, PF61 not PF61e is in fact a different filter with a metal core. Purolator is nice, there is one fram that is good the rest are meh. Regular bosch is made by Purolator... or Wix, I forget.

As for oil, whatever works, I use mobil 1 but have used conventional as well.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
I've changed over pretty much exclusively to full synthetic oils at this point. The first 5w whatever oil change I did, I kinda freaked a little bit at how thin the stuff was, and just can't imagine a conventional motor oil holding up. I do go back and forth on the high mileage stuff though. At this point, I don't own a vehicle with less than 150k miles, so if the difference in price between regular synthetic and high mileage synthetic is less than $1/qt, I'll buy the high mileage stuff. Probably won't buy conventional oil again, unless I'm doing a seafoam treatment in the crankcase, and I know I'm going to be doing another oil change in 500 miles.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I have religiously used the cheapest oil I can find on all my vehicles for a couple decades and have surpassed 200K miles and 300K on some.

Same here. I have switched to synthetic now for both vehicles, but I still buy the cheapest. If there is a store brand that is cheaper than any other, into the cart it goes. It's not like that store drills, pumps, refines and bottles their own oil. It is made by the big boys somewhere, just like the filters.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Once I hit 100,000 miles on the TB, I switched over to Mobil1 full synthetic high mileage and also use a Mobil1 oil filter. Walmart sells Mobil1 very cheap. I change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles.

Oil is personal preference whether conventional or synthetic and brand. More importantly is changing the oil/filter regularly like Mounce mentioned.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I run Mobil 1 and Wix filters. I used to use the SuperTech filters but the Wally Worlds around me don't stock them anymore.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oil: I use synthetic whatever is on sale, usually Mobil 1. My main reason for using synth is it makes pumpability easier in cold weather here, which can get downright frigid, and turn oil into caramel. And I have been using it since they first came out and have had good results.

Filter: Used to use ACDelco until I found out they were made by Champion Labs and saw these test results. They are the worst at filtering.
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

List of all filters with rankings:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm

Funny thing though is that the Fram Xtended Guard scored the highest and I have used it, though pricey.

Here's another thread with good info:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/counterfeit-oil-filter-alert.12557/

Reactions: dmanns67

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
One exception to the store brand oil is apparently Dollar General oil is some really ancient formulated stuff from the 80s. Not sure if they found some old stock someplace or they have some podunk place actually making the stuff, but regardless I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Apparently in the fine print it says it isn't suitable for vehicles made after 1988 or something like that.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
I change my oil every 3,000 miles with Penzoil and a Purolator Filter. For me though, my driving is indeed "severe service" so I stick to the 3k miles and ignore my DIC.

Oil changes are something I'm very lazy about doing, and since this truck takes seven quarts. It's cheaper to have my mechanic do it for $24.95 than it is to do it myself. He only uses Penzoil and Valvoline, and has Purolator filters in stock.

swede

Jun 22, 2014

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even though it's dated, it is interesting that only a few manufacturers make all filters, even designer brands like Amsoil and K&N.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I figured that. Most things are like that. Only about 4 or 5 machines in world that make Scope glass for rifles n such, but 1000s of scope brands out there.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I believe amsoil says wix makes their filters... or they at least imply it. Why else would they list Wix part numbers for ones they don't have?

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
An interesting thing I noted is that most of the responses in this post aren't stuck on a brand of oil. Most of us are apparently realists. I was really expecting a bunch of "Mobil1 Synthetic or nothing" posts. I see that a lot on rv.net.

One exception to the store brand oil is apparently Dollar General oil is some really ancient formulated stuff from the 80s.

Yikes! I didn't even know they sold motor oil.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am anti-synthetic for motor oil really unless it is a blend. I might buy it for same price but even then I know what works for me and have seen synthetic cause leaks and oil consumption I have no reason to deal with.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I've seen conventional changed every 3k cause leaks too. :wink: The problem is there, it just hides it better. Synthetic shows everything.

Oh and everyone uses synthetic in a way because those awesome plastic bottles oil comes in is made from the same (or very very similar) base material.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So the plastic bottle makes it synthetic oil? interesting

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
:goodpost:Science

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If the plastic bottle is getting into my oil...something is wrong. Science...

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It's a carrier, not the product. Conventional oil is synthesized now too but that's a whole different ball game.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
But your implication above was that I would use synthetic oil due to the plastic bottle, which is false.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
But your implication above was that I would use synthetic oil due to the plastic bottle, which is false.

I took his comment as you "use" synthetic oil to carry your conventional oil around in.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I dont use oil to carry oil...I use plastic made from polymers

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
Any thoughts on the "high mileage" oils? Or is it mostly hype from oil companies? In other words a pointless added expense?

There is a small oil leak somewhere (haven't had time to diagnose it yet, nothing more than a maybe a few drops in the driveway). Would full synthetic make this leak worse?

Thank you for the info. Honestly, I probably won't spend $10+ on just a filter like k&n. But I will probably look for a filter that costs a little more than $4 or $5.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Any thoughts on the "high mileage" oils? Or is it mostly hype from oil companies? In other words a pointless added expense?

There is a small oil leak somewhere (haven't had time to diagnose it yet, nothing more than a maybe a few drops in the driveway). Would full synthetic make this leak worse?

Thank you for the info. Honestly, I probably won't spend $10+ on just a filter like k&n. But I will probably look for a filter that costs a little more than $4 or $5.

Speaking to Mobil1, there is no price difference (at Walmart) between their 5W-30 basic synthetic and their high mileage synthetic oils. The price only increases with their Extended Performance line which is rated at 15,000 miles between oil changes, but that is only $3 more speaking about the 5qt jugs.

This statement is from Mobil1 and is in regards to their High Mileage synthetic oil.
"High Mileage Mobil 1 Motor Oil is made with a proprietary blend of high-performance synthetic base stocks fortified with an additive system designed especially for higher mileage vehicles. This oil is especially recommended for high mileage vehicles that have used lower quality conventional oils. The advanced full synthetic formula provides excellent overall lubrication and wear protection for your vehicle and outperforms other conventional oils. This Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5W-30, also features an extra anti-wear additive that helps to protect critical engine parts in higher mileage engines, as well as an extra cleaning additive that helps to reduce the sludge and deposits that conventional oils can leave behind. It also contains a seal conditioner that helps to prevent leaks."

I have always used Mobil1 filters just by chance because I use their oil. The filter always seems to be ranked very well on any filter rankings I have seen, so I stayed with their filter. The filter is only $13 at Advance Auto and $11 on Amazon. I only change my oil twice a year, so the filter price is not a big deal for me.

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Filter: Used to use ACDelco until I found out they were made by Champion Labs and saw these test results. They are the worst at filtering.
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

List of all filters with rankings:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm

Funny thing though is that the Fram Xtended Guard scored the highest and I have used it, though pricey.

Here's another thread with good info:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/counterfeit-oil-filter-alert.12557/

I'm thinking you got those great links from a thread a long time ago.

You can find the XG at Amazon pretty well priced, and free shipping if you have Prime.

nvoy04MJIN

Jan 21, 2015
I believe that high mileage synthetic oils contain conditioners that are supposed to soften seals thus helping them seal. I've been told a problem can then arise if the high mileage oil use is then discontinued the seals can shrink and cause some problems not sealing... I have 220k miles on my envoy and use Mobil 1 high mileage and ac Delco filters and change the oil around 6 - 7000 miles. She runs as well as ever with same power as ever (bought my xuv 4.2 with 70k 7yrs ago).

Last edited:

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
I use our Trailblazer for work. I deliver 300-400 news papers to residential customers. The TB does a lot of idling. I travel roughly 40-50 miles a day, 3am to roughly 7am, 7days a week.
How often would it be recommended that I change the oil?
More often than every 3,000 miles?
With this kind of work/idling, should I use conventional, high mileage, or full synthetic?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Drec

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I use our Trailblazer for work. I deliver 300-400 news papers to residential customers. The TB does a lot of idling. I travel roughly 40-50 miles a day, 3am to roughly 7am, 7days a week.
How often would it be recommended that I change the oil?
More often than every 3,000 miles?
With this kind of work/idling, should I use conventional, high mileage, or full synthetic?

Thank you in advance.

Changing your oil every 3,000 miles is the old school mindset and not necessary with the improvements in engine oil chemistry and engine technology IMO.

Most newer vehicles are equipped with an Oil Life Monitoring (OLM) system. This system is not based on miles. There are electronic sensors throughout the drivetrain and they send information about engine RPMs, temps, and driving time to the vehicle's computer. That data is taken and ran through some complex mathematical algorithm that predicts when the engine oil will begin to degrade. If you have a DIC, this will be displayed as a percentage. If you dont have a DIC, you will have a change engine oil light illuminate on your dash to let you know that the OLM is recommending an oil change.

Mileage will vary when using the OLM based on the data taken into account for the algorithm. Example, when I change my engine oil at 6,000 miles, my OLM is in between 40% and 43%. I could easily go 9k to 10k miles, but I just stick with 6,000 miles which is two oil changes a year for me.

The OLM system does not differentiate in engine oils being used. Meaning, the data used to tell you when the oil is degrading does not factor whether you are using conventional or synthetic oils.

How many miles do you have on your TB now? I have always been a fan of Mobil1 and have been using their full synthetic high mileage oil for the last 70,000 miles. Switched over at the 100,000 mile mark from conventional oil.

Last edited:

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
It has 290,000 miles on it. We bought it from a used car lot last year so I don't know what the previous owner used or did as far as maintenance. Whatever they did, they were doing something right.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm surprised that with this much discussion about oil, that no one has mentioned BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy). If you're really curious about the subject, that site has everything you'd ever want to know about lubricants (of all types). Filters, too. And I know there are posts there concerning the engines in our vehicles. I did research on that site before I decided to go with the GMT360 platform for my current truck (actually, I chose a GMT370, for the extra cargo capacity).

If you want to know the general condition of your engine, there are companies (Blackstone Labs is one) that perform analysis of your used oil. They send a collection kit at no charge (a plastic bottle, and a container to ship it in), and you pay them for the service (about $20 or so, the last time I used them some years ago) - they e-mail you a detailed analysis indicating things like wear (bearings, etc.) intermingling of fluids at trace amounts (e.g. coolant, etc) - before they become bigger problems - or confirm your suspicions, if you know you likely have an issue. I've used them in the past, and plan to get a sample in to them for my Envoy at the next oil change.

As far as what I use myself... I use Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage in the Voy - it's considered to have a good additive pack, has the seal swellers / conditioners you probably want, and it's not terribly expensive. For filters, the Fram Extended Performance (XP -?) is supposed to be very good (not the regular Fram). I used to love Purolator One filters, until they started putting that grippy coating on the ones I used - which came off on your hands - and you could see the stuff *inside* the filters. Looks like they've discontinued that coating, though - so I may try them again. I have a OEM filter on the Envoy right now - you'll hear mixed opinions on these, depending on the type. I use OEM filters on my Hondas (the good ones, made by Filtech, not the Fram-manufactured ones).

I love Pennzoil Platinum, and I find my Hondas tend to run quieter with it than with M1 - plus it has a fantastic additive (anti-wear) package. I don't use it in the Envoy because: a) - I don't think it has the seal conditioners as a 'high-mileage' oil traditionally does, and b) - I had no knowledge of whether the vehicle consumed a lot of oil when I got it. Once I get an analysis done at my next oil change, I'll re-evaluate.

Wal-Mart tends to have the best prices on oil, from what I see around here, at least. Get two 5-quart jugs of whatever you like to use (you'll have enough for top-ups), and you'll be set.

As someone else said - if you've got 290K on the clock, someone took halfway decent care of that engine.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
After servicing a dozen vehicles a day for the last 6 months, I really don't trust the OLM systems in vehicles. By the time most of the computers across different manufacturers say to change the oil, the oil is black and looks overdue for a change to me. Not only that but most people don't check their oil level once between changes and run them quarts low.

Last time I changed the oil in the TB the oil change light had not came on yet and I have no idea how many miles were on the oil but I know for sure I'm likely never going by the OLM on the TB again. Shit was nasty that came out. My DD I don't really care about and I'm 4.5k deep in its current oil but I treat the TB better.

Not telling anyone to not go by the OLM, just saying that after 13 years of depending on it telling us when to change the oil (two different GM's), I no longer trust it. Just my opinion, you make your own after observing the oil a few times when you change it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That's where the analysis comes in handy - you'll know whether the oil was 'used up' or not, and get recommendations on how long to safely run it.

From what I understand, GMs OLM system is supposed to be pretty darned good. I'll find out for myself soon - I've got 44% remaining, and I've had the oil in there about 9 months now. I know a lot of people here don't like the system.

I wait until I see the change indicator activate in my DD - it kicks off at 15%. That system is calibrated for conventional oil, so I know I'm definitely in the safe range using a synthetic. I generally get about 6000-6500mi per interval with that one.

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
While we are talking about DIY oil changes, does anyone happen to know where to get a roll of oil change stickers?
My wife primarily drives our Dodge Charger, I rarely drive it. I prefer the TB myself. I'd like to be able to put a sticker or reminder on the windshield for her. I usually write the mileage of each vehicle when I do an oil change or repair but with 3 kids running around, my car maintenance/repair logs usually disappear and everyone suddenly developes amnesia lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online