Lime-Swap Turbo Up-pipe Prototype Complete

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
After people seeing the turbo setup ConeKilrAutoX was running for a while, I'm sure this thread will generate much interest. :popcorn:

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
I agree I cant wait to see the end results. Are you planning on producing turbo kits for out platforms?

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
There are a few questions i have about this that i will probably email about. Woudlnt the engine need to be built to take advantage of the hx40. Even the trans? Interested in this big time. I loved the steedspeed but too out of range. Nice design not too turbulent. I have to throw i new manifold on soon anyways so why not...

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
With the weight of the turbo and accelerated EGT's I am skeptical of this design. You will need a strong bracket to take the weight off of the manifold. It would be much better to design a completely new turbo manifold. IMO

I'm digging the idea though.

Reactions: Mounce

limequat

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
IllogicTC said:
Will there be "complete package" deals? Like ordering the turbo install parts and a proper PCM tune in one bundle?

Not at this time, but maybe in the future.

Nexus1155 said:
There are a few questions i have about this that i will probably email about. Woudlnt the engine need to be built to take advantage of the hx40. Even the trans? Interested in this big time. I loved the steedspeed but too out of range. Nice design not too turbulent. I have to throw i new manifold on soon anyways so why not...
At low boost, no. There are several us on vortec4200 and 355nation that are running 10-15 psi on stock motors. Trans will be fine on low boost.

BlazingTrails said:
With the weight of the turbo and accelerated EGT's I am skeptical of this design. You will need a strong bracket to take the weight off of the manifold. It would be much better to design a completely new turbo manifold. IMO

I'm digging the idea though.
A new manifold is better, but look at the amount of takers that Steedspeed is getting. The idea of an uppipe is to make turbocharging much more attainable. Agreed, a bracket to hold the weight of the turbo is a good idea. However, builds by Autoroc and Jeff Weiser use similar uppipes with no additional support. I guess it would be up to the end user how to support the turbo. Regardless, it wouldn't be the uppipe or manifold.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
A lot of money and time? Holset oil cooled only all you need is a head feed and drain. The only real thing would be dump pipe. Injectors and tuning. The cold side could easily be accomplished by thick flexible hose that can hold pressure. Turbocharging is simple. People make it complicated...

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
And how much would that turbo cost? $1-500?

Then the tune would be $90-150 if he sent the pcm somewhere, if he only had to have it tuned once (unlikely) and more $ if he had it tuned locally. Then injectors aren't cheap, can't remember how much they cost off the top of my head but they can be found on limequat's website and Brandon doesn't half-a$$ anything, he'd fab up a proper metal pipe.

Not trying to bash you, Nexus, but it won't be a cheap (to me, at least), nor quick process. If it's cheap, quick, and easy, volunteer, Nexus. :yes: :wooot:

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Holsets are fairly cheap and workhorses. I have found them anywhere from $150 - $400 working. Tunes are a little more pricey, for a properly tuned vehicle. I usually won't touch someones ecu for under $250 and thats a hookup... Inj are around $200-$300. It's just the little things that add up and get yah.

I would if my dad didn't drive the truck, especially in the snow. I already have enough headaches with my twin turbo s4. I don't really feel like another one, but if i MUST...

Reactions: Mounce

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Nexus1155 said:
Holsets are fairly cheap and workhorses. I have found them anywhere from $150 - $400 working. Tunes are a little more pricey, for a properly tuned vehicle. I usually won't touch someones ecu for under $250 and thats a hookup... Inj are around $200-$300. It's just the little things that add up and get yah.

I would if my dad didn't drive the truck, especially in the snow. I already have enough headaches with my twin turbo s4. I don't really feel like another one, but if i MUST...
I have built several turbo cars, you obviously don't understand all the aspects that go into it. You can't just hook the turbo to the intake you need an intercooler. Hot air causes detonation and also way less power.

And the following

Bigger injectors
Fmic setup
Turbo
Oil lines
Drain tube
Pull oil pan tap Drain line into it
Remote oil cooler
Gauge pod
Wideband o2 sensor
Wideband air/fuel gauge
Oil temp gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Different map sensor
E-fans
Dyno tune. You can't mail order a turbo tune safely.
Boost controller
Turbo timer.

If I do a turbo set up it WILL be done right.

And you will always have to run premium gas to keep detonation to a minimum.

And I would be fabbing an aluminum intake because I don't trust that plastic one.

Sound cheap? How old are you? Just curious.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
BlazingTrails said:
I have built several turbo cars, you obviously don't understand all the aspects that go into it. You can't just hook the turbo to the intake you need an intercooler. Hot air causes detonation and also way less power.

And the following

Bigger injectors
Fmic setup
Turbo
Oil lines
Drain tube
Pull oil pan tap Drain line into it
Remote oil cooler
Gauge pod
Wideband o2 sensor
Wideband air/fuel gauge
Oil temp gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Different map sensor
E-fans
Dyno tune. You can't mail order a turbo tune safely.
Boost controller
Turbo timer.

If I do a turbo set up it WILL be done right.

And you will always have to run premium gas to keep detonation to a minimum.

And I would be fabbing an aluminum intake because I don't trust that plastic one.

Sound cheap? How old are you? Just curious.
[emoji38] [emoji122]

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
I'm 28. Built or pieced together? I have fabricated new manifolds and put turbos where they don't belong as well. What you sound like you are talking about is putting turbos on dsms. You are going to length on the install and there are easier ways to do so.

Bigger injectors - yes
Fmic setup - smic would work fine
Turbo - of course
Oil lines - yes
Drain tube - yes
Pull oil pan tap Drain line into it - ^^
Remote oil cooler - not necessary
Gauge pod - not necessary
Wideband o2 sensor - not necessary
Wideband air/fuel gauge - not necessary ^^
Oil temp gauge - not necessary
Oil pressure gauge - not necessary
Different map sensor - scaling, but yes if not maf
E-fans - not necessary
Dyno tune. You can't mail order a turbo tune safely. - or street, but definately true
Boost controller - yes
Turbo timer. - not necessary
Tons of cars come turbocharged with bare minimum no frills. its an in and out system. as long as it holds pressure its fine. some don't even need intercoolers if low enough boost and efficiency. not even methanol/water/alky.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
The cars I have done were non turbo from the factory. Hondas as Nissans usually. I'm not saying it can't be done the way you are saying, my point is if you want your engine to last more than a few weeks it needs to be done right. Which would require the things I mentioned above.

My Honda accord 2.2 was putting down 470 whp and I used to drag race it and it was my dd for 5 years with that setup.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
I have owned an f22 and now a k24 as well. I loved my accord. I bought an h22 head to g franken and then turbo but decided to keep it stock. Also had a ka 240. I traded up to an s4. Fastest thing on the streets around us besides a z06. The one thing i have learned is keep it simple stupid. KISS. The more shit installed more to go wrong. I also would rather supercharge this behemouth than turbo but whatever works. Tried sourcing a vortech adapter.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Nexus1155 said:
I have owned an f22 and now a k24 as well. I loved my accord. I bought an h22 head to g franken and then turbo but decided to keep it stock. Also had a ka 240. I traded up to an s4. Fastest thing on the streets around us besides a z06. The one thing i have learned is keep it simple stupid. KISS. The more shit installed more to go wrong. I also would rather supercharge this behemouth than turbo but whatever works. Tried sourcing a vortech adapter.
http://imgur.com/HkRRtSQ

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nexus1155 said:
Everything (except for the pipe in the thread now) has to be custom made, pipe/manifold wise. There was someone who put a supercharger on one though. It was off of some Ford.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Yeah bruhaba. Cool guy but sooo much custom work. I was going to put one on the opposite side and just run ducting. More people go for the directly attached intake method. It will still compress the air regardless. Silfab flexhose has a high heat and pressure rating to use for custom made intercooler hosing. Marine grade. Tried and true. Heres some cost savings.
dirty30101.jpg

Reactions: Capote and dmanns67

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
I'm just trying to get an estimated price out of him and an update, its been a while. That site sells them for I5's and kind of the same concept.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Maybe extra $$ and throw a wastegate flange somewhere on there? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Ridiculously tempting when HXs are $75 on CL. Shit even on 7psi this motor can handle without being intercooled. Straight throw the compressor outlet right to the throttle body!

limequat

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Nexus1155 said:
Maybe extra $$ and throw a wastegate flange somewhere on there? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Ridiculously tempting when HXs are $75 on CL. Shit even on 7psi this motor can handle without being intercooled. Straight throw the compressor outlet right to the throttle body!
That's the idea. There's also chinese HX40 knock offs on ebay for under $300.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Ok guys...Keep it on topic and stop with the bickering back and forth. Lime wanted imput on his product not a fight about how to turbo an engine...

On a side note...a GM-X (GM-4,GM-6 GM-8) turbo from a 6.5 Diesel GM truck will fit this nicely as well as it is oil cooled and has the same flange type as the HX40....Also the HX35 from the Cummins Diesel trucks will work as well for the same reason. There are a few guys who have swapped out their GM-X series turbos for the Holsets...

ssgpate

Jul 8, 2014
I want one of these kits so when you get it ready for sale let me know.

At low boost all I see the need for is bigger injectors, possibly a fuel pump and intercooler oil feed, oil drain lines and a tune. no need for an oil cooler ETC. No need to pull the pan to tap for a drain line you can tap the pan with a chisel and a hammer Ive done this multiple times installing supercharger drain lines Per Vortechs instructions.

ssgpate

Jul 8, 2014
What are you doing for a down pipe? how do you plan on connecting it to the stock exhaust?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm