Lifters replaced, other issues popping up

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Hello everyone, seems like its becoming constant that I'm posting about something with my TB haha.

I made a post in Mooseman's thread that lists the sensors that deactivate the DoD, and its been about a week so far and I've noticed a few things.

Here's what happened which will lead up to my next few questions:

I was on a trip to Toronto, ON and spent the night in Cleveland, got onto the highway 10 minutes after leaving the city when my SES light was flashing. Pulled off at the nearest ramp and felt the the acceleration drop off a long with the truck lurching due to the misfire. I pulled out the bluetooth reader and connected to torque that showed a pending misfire on Cylinder #4. I let it sit for a bit to cool off and checked all the wires, oil and whatever else I could. Cleared the code, fired it up and.....it was knocking. Called a tow truck and had it towed to a GM dealership about 15 minutes away, the service writer and mechanic came out to look it over and confirmed it was a collapsed lifter, then they said cylinder #3 was showing a pending misfire along with a misfire on #2. They gave me the quote and since it was cheaper to have it repaired there then to find someone with a car hauler to bring the TB back to Indiana.

2 weeks go by, and the news from the dealer was the cam survived, and they had to send the head out to a machine shop to have a broken bolt removed as well as replace the exhaust manifold. I received a call Satuday (June 11th), so I get my train ticket and leave for Cleveland the following day, I arrived Monday morning and got a ride to the dealer from their porter. They just pulled the TB out after washing it and the first thing that caught my eye was the passenger side hubcap being..off. When I say off, I mean, there are hit marks like someone took a mallet to it and it pretty much fell off the rim when I went to touch it, they somehow broke the the plastic locking tabs on the inside. While waiting for the service writer to come outside after I mentioned the hub cap, I popped the hood open and found my washer fluid cap missing, and 4 bolts for the driver side ignition coils sitting on the battery.

Of course, the first thing the service writer and mechanic do is blame me for the damage, apparently I "brought" the truck in with the hubcap damaged and the washer fluid cap missing, and the mechanic goes "Ooh, oops, I must of missed those" when I showed him the bolts. Spent about an hour outside arguing and went to find a service manager who got the cap replaced and sent an order out to ship a new hubcap to me. I leave the dealer, made it home and noticed a few more things wrong, ignition coil on the left in the far break has some of the plastic broken off near the locking tab for the connector, A/C lines running along the passenger side aren't bolted to the frame like they should be, the plastic piece of the wheel well that bolts to the bumper wasn't bolted and it was flapping around and rubbing against the tire for the duration of the ride back and I found a rubber hose/connector that was cut off and sitting at the bottom of the engine bay near the oil filter. I have no idea what it is or where it goes to.

Ended up calling GM to find out what they're willing to do (long shot I know), so they opened a case and I have the TB going into the dealer we usually go to this upcoming Tuesday to have another inspection done to find out if the work was done properly etc etc.

They also changed the oil but left my old oil filter on......ugh.

So here's where my questions come back into play. During the ride back, I stuck to doing 80 mph and didn't feel the DoD/engage or disengage and averaged about 16-16.5 MPG. I pulled the sensor near the brake booster to disable the DoD (like mooseman's thread) and did some driving into the city at about 60-65 and got about 14 MPG or so give or take. I plugged the sensor back in and went out of town for a few days, and I kept it at 65 (mostly open highway) and averaged 19 MPG, before I was able to get 22 MPG easily. I can also feel when it switches into DoD, before when it would switch it was hardly noticeable but now....can't find the right word but it feels like "jerking" type motion now when it switches between the modes.

I should go on record and say I pushed several times to have the lifters on both sides replaced, but the dealer refused and only did the passenger side because it there was no reason to pull the driver side and replace all of them, and the excuse was that it would only cause more "problems".

Wow this turned out longer then I thought it would, but here's the whole story what has happened these past 3 weeks and....thoughts anyone?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well it sure sounds like they are mighty incompetent!

Surprised you saw that much of a MPG drop by disabling AFM. I turned mine off via tune and saw very little MPG change with my Silverado (same 5.3L AFM engine you have).

I can't help but think they did a crappy job. I'm curious what they'll find on Tuesday.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Well it sure sounds like they are mighty incompetent!

Surprised you saw that much of a MPG drop by disabling AFM. I turned mine off via tune and saw very little MPG change with my Silverado (same 5.3L AFM engine you have).

I can't help but think they did a crappy job. I'm curious what they'll find on Tuesday.

I'm just wondering what could be causing the issue. I wasn't expecting such a drop in MPG either, I don't really consider myself heavy footed, especially when it comes to city driving. Everything was fine up until this point. I do fear what they'll find Tuesday, hopefully nothing too bad.

Incompetent ain't the word for it, they claimed they hardly get any Envoy/TB's, especially ever see one with the 5.3.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So it was a dealer in Cleveland, not Toronto, right? Otherwise, it's a cross-border nightmare.

Definitely incompetent. Found a copy of the bulletin for AFM failure
http://www.silveradosierra.com/vort...500-failed-lifter-or-t309594-10.html#p3219714

With the portion related to lifter replacement:

If SI diagnosis or any of the steps above indicate that any AFM lifters are unlocking or collapsed as described above, follow the applicable notes below and replace the VLOM, all AFM lifters, and all plastic lifter guides.

Did they even replace the VLOM? Bet ya they didn't. That is the root cause of the lifter failures.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
So it was a dealer in Cleveland, not Toronto, right? Otherwise, it's a cross-border nightmare.

Definitely incompetent. Found a copy of the bulletin for AFM failure
http://www.silveradosierra.com/vort...500-failed-lifter-or-t309594-10.html#p3219714

With the portion related to lifter replacement:

Did they even replace the VLOM? Bet ya they didn't. That is the root cause of the lifter failures.

Yes it was a dealer in Ohio, I'd hate to imagine what would of happened with a dealer in Toronto.

I can post the invoice of what was done, they weren't very detailed when I questioned them on the phone or in person on the work performed. It's great to be able to read over the tech bulletin, I'm very curious about the VLOM now.

Inferno333

Oct 9, 2014
Would the VLOM be the valley cover that I replaced when I did the DOD elimination kit?

And OP. I had a DOD lifter break in November last year. It sucks big time.

Mike534x

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Here is the invoice, doesn't appear the VLOM was replaced. I'm just wondering if the dealer will look at that tech bulletin even though it doesn't list the 05 model year, but I will show them to see what they say.

10u3cgW.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online