License Plate Bulb Cover Bolts

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Kind of a foolish problem, but I went to take out the screws today to on the clear lenses over the plate bulbs on my 05 TB and the phillips heads are rotted away so bad that there is nothing to grab with the screwdriver. It all just rounded right out when I tried. These are the original screws and the original bulbs. It is sticker time so I need to replace the bulbs. I could get into drilling them out or something but I am wondering if someone here can tell me if I can replace the bulbs by taking off the inside cover on the hatch? I have never had that panel off so I don't know what it looks like from that side. If the sockets are accessible, will be the bulbs be able to be removed from the sockets on that side with the lenses still screwed into place from the outside? This is a case where a small item has the makings of turning into a big headache. Thanks for all replies.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Good question. I never took the back apart, but I do my screws were rusty as well so I bet this could be a more common problem with these getting older.

psa55

Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
I have had the same issue with the cover screws. I had to drill mine out. I couldn't find an exact match to replace them, so I went with one size larger screw and proceeded with caution. You cannot change the bulbs without removing the outside bulb cover.

Both of my lamp sockets on the license plate have been replaced. I had the strip the cover on both occasions. I am confident you would break both new bulbs trying to install this way. The first one went five years ago, and the other I had to replace this spring. They are a bit of bitch to frig with by stipping the inside cover but it can be done. If you need the bulb sockets, one side was easier than the other. On the first one I think I cut the wires and harness on the new socket and soldered them to wires on the old socket. The alternative is removing the wiper assembly, etc. which you will want avoid.

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I might have to go to the hardware store and buy a set of the double ended drill style screw extractors and see how it goes. I am figuring the screws thread into plastic, so they should thread out once the tool grabs the head, but I could be wrong.

psa55

Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Once you drill the caps off of both cover screws, the plastic cover will come off the bulb. That should leave enough end of the screw thread exposed to grab the top with a set of pliers and back it out.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You could possibly take the inside panel off, and remove the plate pocket piece from the lift gate, then remove the bulb socket from the backside to remove the bulb perhaps, or at least use vise grips to start backing the screw out from the back side, then get a hold of it from the front to finish removing it.

At least, that was my plan on mine, until I just didn't do anything about it.

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Good suggestions guys. I may try the double ended extractors. One side drills and the other side removes. They have a regular set at Lowes for $20 and a titanium coated set by the same company (Speed Out) for $15 at Home Depot. Seems the titanium should be more expensive but it's not.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And use stainless screws to replace them :biggrin:

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online