LED Switchbacks

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Hello all. I would like to change my front bulbs to LED Switchbacks but have a few questions about the upgrade/mod.

1. Would the factory bulb Socket need to be modified for Switchbacks?

2. What brand/manufacturer of Switchbacks are the best based on Longevity and Output/Performance?

3. Does Switchbacks required a special Relay or Fuse?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
1.) Factory incandescent bulb socket does NOT need modified. As you know, the factory incandescent bulb for the main front turn signals are a 3757, but with LED you will want to search for a 3157 LED. Same base on the bulb.

2.) You have many options for manufacturers from EBay to Amazon. Most sellers on EBay offer a 60 days warranty. I have found sellers on Amazon that offer a 2-3 year warranty on their LEDs. VLEDS, http://www.vleds.com/ and Diode Dynamics, http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/ offer quality LEDs, but they are very pricey as compared to EBay and Amazon LEDs. VLEDS offers a 1 year warranty and Diode Dynamics offers a 3 year warranty.

There are also two different versions of switchbacks offered. One is AO (Amber-Off) and the other is AW (Amber-White). That signifies how the switchback operates.

Example, for the AO, when turning on your turn signal, the AO switchback will blink amber, turn off, blink amber, turn off, etc. With the AW, when you turn your turn signal on, it will blink amber, then white, amber, white, etc. To me, the AW switchback looks like a strobe light and is hard to tell that your turn signal is on. I prefer the AO so that only the amber LEDs blink while the turn signal is on and the white LEDs are for the running lights only. That is up to you. Just make your you know how the switchbacks act before buying them. Some sellers state AO or AW, some sellers you will have to contact.

From personal experience, the EBay and Amazon LEDs are hit or miss on quality. Currently, my main front LED turn signals are from EBay and have been installed for about 2 years now with no issues. I have had other 194 LEDs purchased from EBay, that I use for my interior lights, burn out in 6 months. For brightness, I like to use the LEDs with 5630 chips which are roughly 45-50 lumens per chip. When searching on EBay or Amazon, you can type in "3157 5630 switchback LEDs".

3.) No special relay or fuse needed, BUT you will need (2) 50w 6 ohm load resistors, one for each turn signal. The load resistors wire inline with the wires running to the plug for the turn signal. The load resistors are to prevent the "hyper flash". Basically with LEDs in the turn signals, your indicator light on the dash will blink very fast as it would if one of your incandescent bulbs had burned out. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UNG3EXQ/?tag=gmtnation-20

Same concept for the tail lights if you decide to install LEDs in the turn signals, you will need the same load resistors as well.

Just to note, the small 194 side marker lights in the headlights does NOT require a load resistor if you decide to replace the incandescent 194 with an LED. Also the same applies if you have mirror turn signals which is a 194 incandescent bulb. You can swap both out without using a load resistor as they are plug and play. Same goes for any of the interior lights and license plate lights, all are straight LED swaps, plug and plays. Just some info in case you decide to do a full LED swap.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Hold the phone on that @dmanns67 the switch backs I have been installing all have been A/W and do not flash amber then white when turn signal is activated. Only amber. I'm not sure if it's brand specific but I've put in jdm astar led swith backs in and they have a small delay when going back to white.20160210_183700.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Just to add to dmanns post. If you're going change both the front and rear indicators with LED's, then you'll only need 1 50w 3 ohm resistor per side. It'll take care of front and back.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
@dmanns67 hit multiple nails on the head with his explanation. Only things I can add, are the types of switchbacks are also advertised as type 1 (AW) and type 2 (AO), that may help when you see some ads out there.

As an alternative to the load resistors, you can swap out your stock flasher module for an LED one. The old complaint with the LM487 (which I have) was that you would sometimes lose cruise control if you had LED brake light bulbs. A newer version, the LM486 came out, which fixes that issue.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQV1J4O/?tag=gmtnation-20

It's located just above and to the left of the brake pedal, clipped into the knee bolster panel.

20150113_170227.jpg

all have been A/W and do not flash amber then white when turn signal is activated. Only amber.

lol, by definition, that is the AO style :twocents:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Example, for the AO, when turning on your turn signal, the AO switchback will blink amber, turn off, blink amber, turn off, etc. With the AW, when you turn your turn signal on, it will blink amber, then white, amber, white, etc. To me, the AW switchback looks like a strobe light and is hard to tell that your turn signal is on.

lol, by definition, that is the AO style :twocents:

EDIT..... I MISS REED @dmanns67 POST ALL TOGETHER. DISREGARD MY LAST POST GENTS.

Last edited:

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Thanks to everyone for the input.

@dmanns67, great info. Thank you

I'm thinking I will get the Amber-Off (AO) style. I have just a few more questions...

1. Would I need to install the Load Resistors and the LED Flasher (under kick panel: @Blckshdw post) for the Switchbacks to function properly?

2. Is there a Switchback Lumen Chip size/capacity i should look for or avoid?

3. Are the Switchbacks legal in all States for road/street use?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
1. Would I need to install the Load Resistors and the LED Flasher (under kick panel: @Blckshdw post) for the Switchbacks to function properly?

2. Is there a Switchback Lumen Chip size/capacity i should look for or avoid?

3. Are the Switchbacks legal in all States for road/street use?

1) you need one or the other, not both.

2) if you go with a bulb with the 5630 chips in them, you shouldn't need to worry about the overall lumen rating

3) check your local laws, but generally as long as the lights are white or amber, you're OK. If you had red or blue going on, that's when you can have issues with :popo:

Reactions: UsernameIsTaken

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Ok, thanks Blckshdw.

So the Load Resistors would require splicing into factory wiring... does the LED Flasher Module required splicing as well or is it just Plug N Play?

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I have led switchbacks up front only and I didn't need any resistors. No hyperflash, I get hyperflash when my rear bulbs break though.-2002 ext

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Ok, thanks Blckshdw.

So the Load Resistors would require splicing into factory wiring... does the LED Flasher Module required splicing as well or is it just Plug N Play?

The LM487 module is a straight plug and play swap. It will replace your OE flasher module. The only down side is that the module is is quite expensive as compared to load resistors. I have seen flasher modules from $45.00 to $80.00.

I went this route with the wife's F150. Flasher module was only $10.00 though.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Awesome, thanks everyone for your input.

Looks like I will be purchasing a set of LED 5630 AO (Amber-Off) Switchbacks and a Flasher Module :thumbsup:

I know, I know...another step to entering the Mod Addiction Thread :biggrin:

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Awesome, thanks everyone for your input.

Looks like I will be purchasing a set of LED 5630 AO (Amber-Off) Switchbacks and a Flasher Module :thumbsup:

I know, I know...another step to entering the Mod Addiction Thread :biggrin:

I think you are already there my friend :yes: It starts with LEDs then you will be doing a HID conversion, then you will want to have the 4/6 hi mod... It never ends.

At least going with the module you can replace all your incandescent bulbs with LEDs and not have to worry about splicing into your factory wiring.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I think you are already there my friend :yes: It starts with LEDs then you will be doing a HID conversion, then you will want to have the 4/6 hi mod... It never ends.

At least going with the module you can replace all your incandescent bulbs with LEDs and not have to worry about splicing into your factory wiring.
Lol, funny you mentioned the 4/6 Hi Mod...I purchased and installed the Quad Beam Headlight Diode Kit (with fogs) from Midnyteryder196 just a few days before I purchased a set of LED Inserts from TXBLAZER.
Just a few more Mods before I admit my addiction :smile:...what's 10 more Mods anyway, right?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Any 194 recommendations for the marker in LED? My new headlights could use some brightness there and I am sure my cheap ebay inside 194 wont last there.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Any 194 recommendations for the marker in LED? My new headlights could use some brightness there and I am sure my cheap ebay inside 194 wont last there.
I have yet to find a switch back 194 for sale. I belive Carlton fabed his up himself. If you are okay with a single color, I'd highly recommend the Samsung 194s with the opaque lens. I've had em since October in all 194 sockets and haven't had to touch one.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No need for a switchback in the marker for me. Got a link to the ones you bought? I need something bright with the setup in these headlight.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Thats cheap for 20.. I only need two unless I do some interior swapping.

Are they really bright as marker lights?

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Are they really bright as marker lights?
I'd say they are brighter. If Chris didn't give me such a deal on everything (shocks, springs, and inserts for $200 shipped) I would have popped these guys in the mirror inserts. They are the best quality for the price that I've found. Others report the trunk lights failing but I haven't had that issue yet.

Attachments

• 20160325_210143.jpg
    20160325_210143.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I have yet to find a switch back 194 for sale. I belive Carlton fabed his up himself.

They are out there, just not as widely advertised because they are not plug and play.

Because the park and turn signals feed opposite pins on the bulb, and use the other for ground, you can't get true switchback function. You would either need to build, or buy, a switchback module that has a separate ground connection, and then either splice it into the harness or add connectors to make it modular. I chose for the 2nd option, and run my grounds to the fender ground on each side.

The ones I fabbed up are my mirror inserts. :twocents:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio

If you are looking for amber LEDs, I personally have these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-T10-92...ash=item2ed4361540:g:iesAAOSwW1ZTxIp6&vxp=mtr

They are very bright, more than twice the lumen output of what SB posted. The 194 is also offered in white as well if you do not want amber. Not bad for $5, free shipping, and a US seller.

Reactions: RTTBLT1

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
If you are looking for amber LEDs, I personally have these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-T10-92...ash=item2ed4361540:g:iesAAOSwW1ZTxIp6&vxp=mtr

They are very bright, more than twice the lumen output of what SB posted. The 194 is also offered in white as well if you do not want amber. Not bad for $5, free shipping, and a US seller.

I will be picking up a set of these to go with the Led Switchbacks. I wanted to convert all the front but couldn't find a Led 194...in till now! Thanks

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I will be picking up a set of these to go with the Led Switchbacks. I wanted to convert all the front but couldn't find a Led 194...in till now! Thanks

LEDs are easy to find. When you search on EBay or Amazon, just type in the bulb number you are looking for followed by the color then LED. Ex, "194 amber LED".

If you know the chip type you are looking for 5050, 5630, 5730, etc, just add that to the search. Ex, "194 5630 amber LED".

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Ok, so I purchased the Switchbacks and some other LED'S.

Also, I wanted to thank everyone for there input.

Now...to get LED'S for the Rears.
How do I know if I have 3157 CK Sockets or regular 3157 Sockets?

Also, I read on the Internet the 3rd Brake Light Bulbs are non replaceable without replacing the entire Light Assembly...is this true?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Ok, so I purchased the Switchbacks and some other LED'S.

Also, I wanted to thank everyone for there input.

Now...to get LED'S for the Rears.
How do I know if I have 3157 CK Sockets or regular 3157 Sockets?

Also, I read on the Internet the 3rd Brake Light Bulbs are non replaceable without replacing the entire Light Assembly...is this true?

The tail/running light is a "normal" 3157, the brake light is SRCK. Unless you have modded boards like mine, then they're all "normal" ones.

The CMSL is indeed one complete unit. Normal mod is to replace it with an Avalanche LED one, you have to cut the connectors off the old one and put them on the new light.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
The tail/running light is a "normal" 3157, the brake light is SRCK. Unless you have modded boards like mine, then they're all "normal" ones.

The CMSL is indeed one complete unit. Normal mod is to replace it with an Avalanche LED one, you have to cut the connectors off the old one and put them on the new light.

Ok, so I need to look into buying 2x 3157 LED Bulbs and 2x 3157SRCK LED Bulbs, correct?

Also, when I purchased the front two 3157 Switchbacks i purchased non SRCK Bulbs.... Was this a correct choice?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Ok, so I need to look into buying 2x 3157 LED Bulbs and 2x 3157SRCK LED Bulbs, correct?

Also, when I purchased the front two 3157 Switchbacks i purchased non SRCK Bulbs.... Was this a correct choice?

Yes, that's correct.

Your front's should be non-SRCK being an 04. Mine's an 02 and has SRCK fronts...but they're a bastard year.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Yes, that's correct.

Your front's should be non-SRCK being an 04. Mine's an 02 and has SRCK fronts...but they're a bastard year.

Ok, sweet. I appreciate your help.

So I got all the exterior LED'S figured out...now I also ordered all LED 194 T10 Bulbs for the Interior lighting...but last night when I removed the cover/lens from the Cargo/Tail Gate fixture it was not a 194 style Bulb, it is longer and is horizontal...could you shed some light on the type/size of LED I would there?...or can I modify it to fit two 194 type Bulbs?

Reactions: Matt

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Reactions: Matt

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
So I received the Bulbs I ordered off Ebay.
1460255706503.jpg
Waiting on the LM486 LED Module that I went ahead and ordered before I can install the Switchbacks. Afterwards I will post pictures of them in operation on this Thread.
Screenshot_2016-04-03-13-27-41-1.png
http://m.ebay.com/itm/JDM-ASTAR-2x-...ow-Turn-Signal-Light-/331694997428?nav=SEARCH
Screenshot_2016-04-02-16-34-25-1.png
http://m.ebay.com/itm/20X-Super-Whi...-W5W-192-168-194-12V-/281762255257?nav=SEARCH
Screenshot_2016-04-02-11-42-09-1.png
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-T10-921-...nterior-Lights-Bulbs-/201128809792?nav=SEARCH

Thought I would post pictures and links in case anyone else looking to covert to LED'S was interested.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I received the LM486 LED Module
1460488363219.jpg
Hopefully it's ok to run/use regular Incandescent Bulbs with this Module cause i plan to run the front Switchbacks with it and for a short time regular Bulbs in the rear.

Pictures and or a Video to come soon.

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I received the LM486 LED Module
View attachment 75497
Hopefully it's ok to run/use regular Incandescent Bulbs with this Module cause i plan to run the front Switchbacks with it and for a short time regular Bulbs in the rear.

Pictures and or a Video to come soon.
Running regular Incandescent bulbs wont be an issue.

I was thinking about getting the LM486 but did not want to fork out the 60 bucks when I can get the 487 for 30 bucks.
I know I could have issues with cruise control, but Its never used.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Just a tip....and i learned this thanks to Blckshdw's Thread.

If you go to Rockauto, do the part search for "LM486" and you can buy it for $35. I almost brought it off Amazon for $65 till I knew about that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seeridhanoa

Members Online