KY Doesn't require emissions or CEL check?

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
As many of you know, I've been helping my wife search for a TB. There aren't too many in our local, so she's getting creative and branching into other locations we might consider for a long-haul. Her latest find is in KY, so I called the gal last night to go over specific questions that I learned from a lot of you owners.

She said she used to work for GM in the customer service department, and I quickly figured out she was familiar with a lot of the terms. I'll touch on the ones that didn't quite make sense to me and hope one of y'all in the Nation will provide input:
  1. She's confident the TC and diff fluids have never been changed. She also says, you're better off not changing the fluids if you're never going to do it. Once you start changing them, you'll have to keep up with them. Most people encounter problems once they change the fluids. REALLY, sounds like total BS and laziness!
  2. The truck doesn't have a Cat Converter. Says previous owner must have taken it out, so the CEL stays on all the time. Poor welds makes it a little louder than normal, but better welds will quiet it down. I asked about the ability to register the truck in KY without a Cat and with the CEL, she said it wasn't necessary in KY. Well, it damn sure is required in TN

I have a scanner to check the codes, but think I'd rather run from this no matter. $250 for the cat itself, then the installation cost. It's an '05 with 136K miles on it.

Everything else, she says, is golden on the truck. Well, forest green on the outside.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Robbabob said:
She said she used to work for GM in the customer service department...
How can you tell a GM customer service rep is lying? When their lips are moving.
She's confident the TC and diff fluids have never been changed.
How does she know it for sure? Was it HER vehicle? She had access to cheap fluid changes and failed to take advantage of that? Why? How many miles was it neglected?
She also says, you're better off not changing the fluids if you're never going to do it.
Lady, your trousers are ablaze. Total BS rationalization, lying, and technical ignorance. Inexcusable.
... it wasn't necessary in KY. ...
Neither is an adequate supply of gray matter in KY skulls, it seems. I'd shun it just to not reward stupidity. But she'll sell it to somebody else who will find the forum here so we'll probably have to deal with the truck anyway. :frown:

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Good answers!

BTW, we did purchase the '03 TB LS in GA last night. Guy said he replaced the battery since the old was one showing sign of going bad. Should I be concerned? The PCM (?) has not gone through its full set of cycles to show if any codes are hidden right now. Thus, it wouldn't pass emissions test this morning.

Sure hope we didn't get hosed. As honest as he seemed, I guess we'll get to find out when the cycle completes.

Anyone know what indication I can check for when it does complete? I have an OBD II tool, if it will help. I've searched using different key words, but apparently haven't checked long enough. I did look in the FAQ page...

Thanks...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Robbabob said:
Sure hope we didn't get hosed. As honest as he seemed, I guess we'll get to find out when the cycle completes.
Yep. Got any recourse? Got a good home address or did the guy meet you in the local Walmart for the handover? Did you get proof of fluid service intervals?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
IN does not require any check. I can just take in a signed title. They never even see the vehicle when I register it.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
We do have the home address; where we picked up the truck. I even know where he works; where we test drove it.

This is the one with no record of the fluids replacement. I know it's a gamble and just hope it won't blow up on us. TC operated well, even the ceremonial Hunker Down into LO. Tires are not all same so we will be replacing VERY soon (once we can emissions test it!).

Any idea where I can find the process the engine goes through before we can attempt another emissions check? I guess that will be our only way to know if we got hosed...

Thanks.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Found a Drive Cycle listing. Odd set of circumstances, I tell you what!

After you've "fixed" an emissions problem on your OBDII-equipped vehicle, you should perform what's called an "OBDII drive cycle." The purpose of the OBDII drive cycle is to run all of the onboard diagnostics. The drive cycle shold be performed after you've erased any trouble codes from the PCM's memory, or after the battery has been disconnected. Running through the drive cycle sets all the system status "flags" so that subsequent faults can be detected.
The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).
NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
[*]As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.[*]Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.[*]Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.[*]Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.[*]Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.[*]Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.[*]Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.[/ol]

Going to research this further on our forum...

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Then, I found a comment from this guy named, 'the roadie'

Typically 3, and perhaps 5 "drive cycles", which are starting from cold, driving a bit until it's warm, then shutting down overnight. 3 days max.

Cool, huh?

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
:rotfl:

Is there a line item in the scanner/reader to see when it's set and ready for emissions test?

The short version of yours looks too easy and the longer version looks incredulous; how can you go 55 for 12 minutes and be in an area to coast down to 20 (without being run over)?

I dunno....

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You are totally right, and I wish I knew the answer. I even have the $500 EFILive software that displays readiness, but I don't know what OBDII code drives it. Perhaps one of the tune experts will chime in and tell us both. Paging Eric.......:undecided:

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Perhaps one of the tune experts will chime in and tell us both. Paging Eric....... :undecided:

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Robbabob said:
[*]As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.[*]Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.[*]Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.[*]Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.[*]Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle. OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.[*]Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.[*]Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.[/ol]

Hope this didn't have to be run perfectly from start to finish. However, we did perform each of them throughout our drive today. The last one we found most difficult; try to slow to a stop without using the brake or putting the truck into neutral! first time we left it in drive and wondered why it wouldn't stop hmmm, "oh, it's in drive." Second time, waited until it was down to 20 or so, the flipped into neutral, "oh, that's how it's done."

Not sure if either or both would complete the task, but all were performed. Now, if we could only find out where the code might be when using an OBD II device.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online