Kooks 4.2L I6 Header

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
mark'stb;116921 said:
How close is the a/c line to the header?

I am not sure yet. Kooks is not done with my TrailBlazer yet. I am hoping to see the final product on Monday.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
when i looked at the trailblazer today the ac line looks to be the same distance from the header as it was from the original manifold

lint

Dec 4, 2011
I usually put heat wrap around my headers ,Just to get some heat out from under the hood ,But would hate the cover up nice looking stainless steel ...

Kooks Headers

Jan 17, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0344copy_zpsb9083d70.jpg
    IMG_0344copy_zpsb9083d70.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0341copy_zps2fb6afac.jpg
    IMG_0341copy_zps2fb6afac.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 23

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Looks great!

Marshall, are you guys going to get Joe's truck back on the dyno for a retune and after numbers?

Kooks (sorry dont know who's posting), when will we be getting email/calls regarding the pre-orders?

Jan 2, 2012
That's a great looking setup! Can't wait to see what kinda numbers it gets.:wootwoot:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sure hope there will be pretune and post tune numbers since the tune is not included and is an additional expense.

Kooks Headers

Jan 17, 2013
ScarabEpic22 said:
Looks great!

Marshall, are you guys going to get Joe's truck back on the dyno for a retune and after numbers?

Kooks (sorry dont know who's posting), when will we be getting email/calls regarding the pre-orders?

It's Drew posting, Very soon as soon as we can get it into final production. I will have a better answer later this afternoon when our fixture will be here.

Drew Amitrano
Sales & Tech Representative
Kook's Custom Headers
141 Advantage Place
Statesville, NC 28677
Phone - (704) 768-2288 x218
Fax - (704) 768-2266
Email - drew@kookscustomheaders.com
Web - Kooks Custom Headers - Home

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sweet. I wonder what the header numbers are before you squeeze everything out with the tune. You going to update us as you get results?

Rudeawakening

Jan 25, 2012
I cant wait to see results on performance and mpg. I also hope you can post a price soon on how much these will retail at for those who've decided to wait and see a dyno :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
10 horsepower for the headers and an additional 5 horsepower for the tune

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
10 horsepower for the headers and an additional 5 horsepower for the tune

Peak, midrange is what's really impressive with 30hp/40tq gains. Remember this is on an early engine too, the 06-09s should be a little more because the heads flow better.

Cant wait to get mine here soon!

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Wow. The numbers don't tell the whole story. Area under the curve is really impressive

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
From their Facebook page:
196323_453968808002293_1260249474_n.jpg

As I said originally, I'd really like to have seen tuned stock in that mix, as well! The header graph looks pretty much the same as stock, except above 5k, without the tune. Hard telling how much of that is just any bad fueling with the new header with stock tune, and how much of it is the header.

This is from a thread here on GMTN, tuned vs. stock on an I6 TB. Looks similar to the tuned header vs. header stock tune, as far as just the tune adding the ton of midrange.
9800d1349890518t-i-got-dyno-tuned-15979155_large.jpg

Mike

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
marshall@pcm said:
Yes, the midrange gains are crazy for such a small motor!! :biggrin:

Well guess once I receive these I will have you guys do a re-tune for me. Is it only $50 to have you retune?
Hopefully mine being an 06 wont make much a difference for you tuning.

Rudeawakening

Jan 25, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Peak, midrange is what's really impressive with 30hp/40tq gains. Remember this is on an early engine too, the 06-09s should be a little more because the heads flow better.

Cant wait to get mine here soon!

What is the difference between peak hp and midrange? and do we have a price for a set yet? 30 hp makes sense, I remember someone on here saying that GM said "an extra 30hp is being constricted in the exhuast system"

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Bartonmd said:
As I said originally, I'd really like to have seen tuned stock in that mix, as well! The header graph looks pretty much the same as stock, except above 5k, without the tune. Hard telling how much of that is just any bad fueling with the new header with stock tune, and how much of it is the header.

Mike

I completely agree. Without a tuned stock comparison, I have to interpret the data as the header doesn't do anything until 5K+ and the rest of the improvement is strictly the tune. Given that, the header isn't near worth the premium cost. Marshall, can you help us out here?

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
depends on whether your stock one is cracked or not, or your cat is plugged, or if you're looking for that extra bit of power, really. Every person would have to decide whether each mod is worth it for them. The reality is that gone are the days of doing one bolt-on mod that's 100HP (generally), so anything you do outside of the engine usually isn't more than a few HP.

Mike

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I would like to thank everyone who has helped out with this project. This would include the staff at Kooks and PCM of NC. I got the truck back from Kooks Tuesday night and you could tell right away that the motor was breathing better. If you floored it it came to life and had no hesitation, and the sound real didn't change that much (a little deeper). The first day it took a little bit for the computer to learn the headers but after 100 miles it was getting happy. Then this morning I dropped it off at PCM of NC and they worked their magic. The numbers are great but the seat of the pants meter put a smile on my face. I now have just over 250 miles on the new headers and even with being aggressive and having some fun (higher than normal rear tread wear) I still average 16.9 MPG. I expect it to be much higher once I return to normal driving and repeat a couple month average. I will say that this system is worth the investment. You will never have a cracked manifold, better looks and performance too. I anyone in the Charlotte area want to see it in person please let me know.

I will also be adding the E-fan setup from PCM of NC in the near future ( I got a look at it today and I think it would be a shame not to add it to the mods on the TB)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
novajoe said:
I would like to thank everyone who has helped out with this project. This would include the staff at Kooks and PCM of NC. I got the truck back from Kooks Tuesday night and you could tell right away that the motor was breathing better. If you floored it it came to life and had no hesitation, and the sound real didn't change that much (a little deeper). The first day it took a little bit for the computer to learn the headers but after 100 miles it was getting happy. Then this morning I dropped it off at PCM of NC and they worked their magic. The numbers are great but the seat of the pants meter put a smile on my face. I now have just over 250 miles on the new headers and even with being aggressive and having some fun (higher than normal rear tread wear) I still average 16.9 MPG. I expect it to be much higher once I return to normal driving and repeat a couple month average. I will say that this system is worth the investment. You will never have a cracked manifold, better looks and performance too. I anyone in the Charlotte area want to see it in person please let me know.

I will also be adding the E-fan setup from PCM of NC in the near future ( I got a look at it today and I think it would be a shame not to add it to the mods on the TB)

Please do no do any more mods until we get the mpg numbers they promised.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Pittdawg said:
What were the "numbers"?

Read back a few posts. The dyno graphs were posted.

Looking forward to ditching my 12 year old stock manifold with sealing problems.

Marshall, what general parameters did you use for Joe's tune? Did you guys pull all of the Torque Management out to get those numbers? Give us an idea based on how a PCM order sheet would be filled out. Are retunes still $50?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
Going by other prices at the website, for a pair of headers alone, itll cost ya around $1200-$1400 IMO.

Not a pair on an inline motor...

915 including cat from pcmforless

marshall@pcm

Dec 6, 2011
fishsticks said:
Read back a few posts. The dyno graphs were posted.

Looking forward to ditching my 12 year old stock manifold with sealing problems.

Marshall, what general parameters did you use for Joe's tune? Did you guys pull all of the Torque Management out to get those numbers? Give us an idea based on how a PCM order sheet would be filled out. Are retunes still $50?

Torque Management only affects power during shifts. Yes, re-tunes are still $50. :smile:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
mpg numbers... meh... does it really matter? even with an optimistic gain, its going to take a lot of mileage to save $900 worth of gas...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online