Issue with trailer plug?

Irishboy02

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
So on my Sierra, I have the circle 7-pin hookup. I have an adapter for the flat4 pin connector. This is the same one I was also using on my trailblazer with no issue. It has 3led lights on it that illuminate to show the circuit is working (one for brake, one left, one right)

I plugged in a trailer (8x16 open landscaping) and was having an issue with the brakes/blinkers not operating properly. I chalked it up to crappy wiring on the old trailer so just dealt with it. It gave me hyperflash when I turned on the right turn signal and would not illuminate the trailer's left brake light. Once the light were on at night, no brake lights but the blinkers worked. There are no modifications to my lights anywhere at this point other than HIDs in my lows and fogs.

I recently received my ANZO led taillights, which came pre-wired with load resistor boxes for each light, eliminating any hyperflash situations. I now have LED parking lights, which caused hyper flash. With these new tailights in, the flash rate doesnt change. Once I took out the LEDs in the front, I have a normal flash rate again. I am now operating with no LEDs.

Yesterday, I went to install my new 60" led tailgate bar, also from ANZO (package deal). The bar lights up and illuminates properly for the brake and running light. However, while the parking/headlights are off, all functions operate properly. When the lights are on, the blinker gives one blink then freezes - causing my tailllights on that side to show no blink, mirror turn signal stays illuminated and tailgate bar is off (for that side). This is true for right, left and 4ways. I had this same pin converter on my TB, which also was plugged into a rear tailgate bar, but I was also running switchbacks with no issues. When the converter is plugged into the trailer plug with no LED bar installed, all 3 led lights illuminate properly with their respective function. When the bar is plugged in, if a blinker function is chosen that led goes out and the bar does not function.

I checked all fuses and everything is good. Any input would be appreciated. Not sure if it is as simple as the connector or if there is a bigger underlying issue here.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I can help you out with the park light issue. The tail light resistors are probably only 6ohm, so when you put led's in the front they will hyper flash. Just get another pair of 6ohm resistors and wire them into the front park/indicators or get a pair of 3ohm and replace the ones in the taillights.

Irishboy02

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for that info for the resistors. Im actually no longer running the LEDs now anyway so I dont need them. Today I went and bought another trailer plug thinking this is possibly the issue. Even with the new plug the symptoms have not changed. While I had the blinker mode on I was wiggling the wires on the tailgate strip and magically the left side started to blink normally. Im thinking its both a crappy trailer and a broken tailgate bar. Going to call the company and see where to go from here.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
No worries. I was actually going to suggest the light bar, but I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot! LOL

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Matt said:
No worries. I was actually going to suggest the light bar, but I didn't want to shoot myself in the foot! LOL
did you check the fuses in the rear fuse box under the rear seat?
I had some issues recently with my trailer lights and my fuses under the hood were fine but I had one in my rear fuse box that was bad.
There are several fuses for the trailer lights.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Sounds like a bad flasher. I had exactly the same problem on my TB last year. Even replaced the connector like you did. I finally replaced the flasher and fixed the problem.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online