Is this the end v. 2.0...

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I think the title is fitting since Joe just lost his motor...

My father called me from work today, and its not lookin too good for the beaSSt... they drained the oil and there was just metal EVERYWHERE!! :hissyfit:... you guessed it... my brand new STOCK crate motor, with just 470 miles on it, ate a bearing already :sadcry:

What they'll do from here, I don't know... but as for what I'll do, I think its time to say goodbye... in the past 18 months, she's sat at a dealership for 8 of those months (all while i've been making $300/month payments), been parked for 7 of those months (garage queen that's stored for winters and rainy days), and not to mention, she's had 4 different motors in her... i've driven the beast for a total of 3 weeks this whole year so far... I love my truck and never dreamed of the day of getting rid of her, but I have to out way my patience, the headaches and the stress, to just dumping her off to the next person, getting my money, pay off the loan and some other miscellaneous bills and basically be debt free without the headaches anymore... I have a warranty and that's why she's lasted this long.. had a 6 yr/ 62k mile bumper to bumper, and now the new crate motor has a 100k mile warranty... so she will get fixed, AGAIN, and I'll break her in, AGAIN... but now I think she has to go... I would just hate to get her fixed, then sell her off, and the next person reeps my benefits and has basically a brand new truck while ive struggled the past 18 months... she only has 47k mikes on her and of course, zero miles in the motor... so I don't know fellow Nation famz... I just don't know...

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sorry to hear that man. I can only imagine your frustration going through three different engines and now on your fourth. If/when you do sell the BeaSSt, anything in mind to fill the spot in the garage?

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Damn, that sucks.

IIRC, could be wrong, didn't your trouble start when you added the fender stripes?
maybe the new engines just can't handle the added 5 -10 hp that come w/ the stripes

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Well I test drove some camaros (SS of course :biggrin:) but they're starting to become too popular... a lot of people have them around me... I don't think I'd want to get rid of my SS for a dime a dozen camaro. Then I moved on to Vette's... for the one I would want ('08+ since they came with LS3's, and all the options I want) they're still out of my price range, well a lower mileage one at least.. they're still around $30k+ for an '08... this would all be different if I were a family man... I would've dumped the beaSSt last year and just gotten the wife/girlfriend a brand new daily driver, like an impala or malibu etc... but I'm single and live alone, so I want my toy! :rotfl:

My other option is just not to get anything at all. Make a career move... selling the beaSSt pays off my loan for her and pays off my credit card and would leave me with at least $5k left in the bank... with no car payments or credit card payments plus the extra cash and the more extra money I'd be saving from paychecks at work, it woukd allow me to quit my job and start entry level somewhere else.

So I have some thinking to do...

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Forget the 6.0 and drop in a 5.3
Or, how about an SS?
Except that you will have car payments again.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Personally man... I would say give it one more go. I know its hard to think that way considering all the strife you have been thru with the beast. But at this point, what do you have to loose. And for the warranty, etc, you could turn it into your DD, and not even care because of the warranty. Its more than likely what I would do. Really, what can you loose besides a lot of seat time, and that 6.0 thrill... :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I see your still going through hell with that truck! Sorry to hear that man your better then me. I would have parted with the truck a long time ago. I cant deal with that much of a headache. Best of luck man! I am sure whatever you get will be as good. you plan to stick to a gm car or you going to get the mazda that you liked?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Take that 5k buy a project Fbody,DD The Prix take your time and build it and you can have a badass toy.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
fletch09 said:
Damn, that sucks.

IIRC, could be wrong, didn't your trouble start when you added the fender stripes?
maybe the new engines just can't handle the added 5 -10 hp that come w/ the stripes

well played sir :raspberry:

DJones said:
Forget the 6.0 and drop in a 5.3
Or, how about an SS?
Except that you will have car payments again.

well I don't mind payments, but they would have to be around the same that I'm paying now... and with the first year models coming out, I think I would want to avoid all of its bugs :rotfl:

TollKeeper said:
Personally man... I would say give it one more go. I know its hard to think that way considering all the strife you have been thru with the beast. But at this point, what do you have to loose. And for the warranty, etc, you could turn it into your DD, and not even care because of the warranty. Its more than likely what I would do. Really, what can you loose besides a lot of seat time, and that 6.0 thrill... :thumbsup:

well my logic in this whole thing is I've gone through all of this... say I sell it off... then some random person just has a brand new truck with a bullet proof motor and nothing would break on it like it does on me... and knowing my luck, that's probably what would happen "rotfl:

ItsOnVoy said:
I see your still going through hell with that truck! Sorry to hear that man your better then me. I would have parted with the truck a long time ago. I cant deal with that much of a headache. Best of luck man! I am sure whatever you get will be as good. you plan to stick to a gm car or you going to get the mazda that you liked?

I think im about sick of GM right now lol... although my Grand Prix is just bullet proof.... 3800 motors are tanks! But no, the Mazda idea left my head months ago... just not for me... cool and fun car for sure... but being a slightly bigger guy... I like the space and wow factor of the SUV... well speed in general...

but this all could be for nothing... the dealer could offer me only like $10-$13 grand for the beaSSt... that would be a no brainer and I would tell them to piss off... I could try my luck on CL or Ebay, or even the forums (doubt someone would buy it after all the horror stories lol), so the next time I go up there, I will crunch the numbers with the used car manager and see how much they will offer for outright buying it, and how much they'd offer on a trade in if I buy a vehicle from them.... if the number is right... :sadcry: goodbye beaSSt

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
I think im about sick of GM right now lol... although my Grand Prix is just bullet proof.... 3800 motors are tanks! But no, the Mazda idea left my head months ago... just not for me... cool and fun car for sure... but being a slightly bigger guy... I like the space and wow factor of the SUV... well speed in general...

but this all could be for nothing... the dealer could offer me only like $10-$13 grand for the beaSSt... that would be a no brainer and I would tell them to piss off... I could try my luck on CL or Ebay, or even the forums (doubt someone would buy it after all the horror stories lol), so the next time I go up there, I will crunch the numbers with the used car manager and see how much they will offer for outright buying it, and how much they'd offer on a trade in if I buy a vehicle from them.... if the number is right... :sadcry: goodbye beaSSt

Yeah I understand man! I am a big guy also so I value the room in a car lol I mean maybe you can look at the jeep str8 if you want the suv with some speed? those things are really quick trucks! there are quite a bit of quick cars out there, just depends what you like in the end you know! I am sure whatever you get you will love it!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah I understand man! I am a big guy also so I value the room in a car lol I mean maybe you can look at the jeep str8 if you want the suv with some speed? those things are really quick trucks! there are quite a bit of quick cars out there, just depends what you like in the end you know! I am sure whatever you get you will love it!

I have thought the SRT8 scene... but those things are just as expensive as Vette's still lol... if I get rid of my '07 truck, I want something newer, not older... lower mileage '07+ Jeeps are still around $30k... I think i'd have much more fun in a Vette, over a Jeep...

but as always, I just still don't know what to do yet...

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Best of luck to you in you ventures.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Hatchet said:
Best of luck to you in you ventures.

Same to you bro...

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Man I can't believe that I'm reading this!:frown:

Good luck with whatever decision you make.:thumbsup:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Damn Juan I think I would cry... It sucks man and I feel for you. I think your idea about paying off all the debt is the smartest move, but then again the "smart" move isn't always the most fun... Carpe diem

Have you considered a GTO or a G8 GT?

Having had a 2009 forester now for a few months, I am looking at a newer wrx next...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
One last shot. F the break-in period and drive it like it is stolen. You babied it and it broke. Beat this motor and see if it holds. If not/cut ties, but I bet if you run it, or let me have at it for 500 miles it will be great.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
MAY03LT said:
Man I can't believe that I'm reading this!:frown:

Good luck with whatever decision you make.:thumbsup:

thx bro...

willn513 said:
Damn Juan I think I would cry... It sucks man and I feel for you. I think your idea about paying off all the debt is the smartest move, but then again the "smart" move isn't always the most fun... Carpe diem

Have you considered a GTO or a G8 GT?

Having had a 2009 forester now for a few months, I am looking at a newer wrx next...

GTO's are too old for me... I have looked at G8's, but of course, I'd want the GXP's :yes:

HARDTRAILZ said:
One last shot. F the break-in period and drive it like it is stolen. You babied it and it broke. Beat this motor and see if it holds. If not/cut ties, but I bet if you run it, or let me have at it for 500 miles it will be great.

I like how you think!!.. and you made me chuckle :crackup:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Yea, going to Matt's this weekend to swap motors. Hopefully it all goes well and can get it done in a day. Going by Aj's tonight to start draining and tearing apart accessories. Towing it out there Friday with the help of Eric. and hopefully be done by saturday night. Hopefully.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Hatchet said:
Yea, going to Matt's this weekend to swap motors. Hopefully it all goes well and can get it done in a day. Going by Aj's tonight to start draining and tearing apart accessories. Towing it out there Friday with the help of Eric. and hopefully be done by saturday night. Hopefully.

Gotta love the help of fellow members and friends... I love the nation!! :wootwoot:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
absolutely. Couldn't do it with out them.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
I have thought the SRT8 scene... but those things are just as expensive as Vette's still lol... if I get rid of my '07 truck, I want something newer, not older... lower mileage '07+ Jeeps are still around $30k... I think i'd have much more fun in a Vette, over a Jeep...

but as always, I just still don't know what to do yet...

Yes you will have more fun in a vette over a jeep, if you plan to garage the car in the winter then yeah I see why you would want one over a different car. I say sell both cars and get a good faster car AWD that can run you winter and summer time. could help you save some money that way also insurance wise etc.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

This, dont baby a (crate/production) motor for break-in. Let it get up to temp and then start loading it up. Custom engines are a little different.

And FWIW Juan, you'd be lucky to get ~12k on the high end for it without a running engine. Remember a LS2 is 3-5k for a crate, most people dont want to spend 15-17k on a TBSS these days. Might get lucky though, never know.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
ItsOnVoy said:
Yes you will have more fun in a vette over a jeep, if you plan to garage the car in the winter then yeah I see why you would want one over a different car. I say sell both cars and get a good faster car AWD that can run you winter and summer time. could help you save some money that way also insurance wise etc.

Nah, I don't want to get rid of my Grand Prix.. its an awesome car and I see it lasting well over 200k miles (only has 130k now and I've only put 8k miles on it in the 2 years I've had it lol) so she's gonna last me a looong time... plus I love the luxury of havin 2 vehicles... out of gas? One breaks down? Boom, just pull the other out until you can get to the other, know what I mean...

ScarabEpic22 said:
This, dont baby a (crate/production) motor for break-in. Let it get up to temp and then start loading it up. Custom engines are a little different.

And FWIW Juan, you'd be lucky to get ~12k on the high end for it without a running engine. Remember a LS2 is 3-5k for a crate, most people dont want to spend 15-17k on a TBSS these days. Might get lucky though, never know.

Well I'd let them fix it first Erik... its all warranty work, I just hate the waiting game... then I'd dump it off...

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
By this stage you prob would have been better off building an engine for it and would have been enjoying the truck for a couple years by now...

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
By this stage you prob would have been better off building an engine for it and would have been enjoying the truck for a couple years by now...

well it would've still been sitting in my garage since march of last year :rotfl:... I don't have the money to fix it or build it up yet... that's why I wanted to keep it stock for a year or so, then go to town on it... but if I had the funds... pffffft... f%$k the warranty, I would've ripped this bitch apart by now and be cammin all over the place :crackup:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Boricua SS said:
well it would've still been sitting in my garage since march of last year :rotfl:... I don't have the money to fix it or build it up yet... that's why I wanted to keep it stock for a year or so, then go to town on it... but if I had the funds... pffffft... f%$k the warranty, I would've ripped this bitch apart by now and be cammin all over the place :crackup:

:rotfl::rotfl: Maybe follow Kyles suggestion then? lol Get one last warranty motor dropped in and just run the bitch as its ment to be driven since obviously babying it isnt working....

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
seriously thinking about it :yes:

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
Dang man, this is crazy to hear! :frown: :no:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Nah, I don't want to get rid of my Grand Prix.. its an awesome car and I see it lasting well over 200k miles (only has 130k now and I've only put 8k miles on it in the 2 years I've had it lol) so she's gonna last me a looong time... plus I love the luxury of havin 2 vehicles... out of gas? One breaks down? Boom, just pull the other out until you can get to the other, know what I mean...

Yeah I know what you mean man! well whatever you get will be good I am sure, keep us updated on what you decide to do!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah I know what you mean man! well whatever you get will be good I am sure, keep us updated on what you decide to do!

Oh I will.. though I'll be forgotten about when I leave lol.. happens on every forum.. but I might still be in a gmt.. my brother is trying to talk me into a Silvy.. but I would have to have a 6.2L and he wanta me to bag it lol... we'll see...

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Damn Juan, sorry to hear about the shitty luck.

For what its worth, my call would be to follow Kyle's advice and beat on it. Put it to its limits and if all holds it will go a long way to rebuilding your confidence in the BeaSSt!

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I don't understand how this is even possible. Are they inspecting the blown engines afterwards to determine the root cause of the failures? I can understand one or two failures but four?????

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
New engine (again)

Then do what Kyle said.

Just always let it get up to operating temp first before flogging, because - speaking from first hand experience - nailing the gas on a cold engine is very bad for bearings and stuff too :crazy:

Here's another thought, just as a crazy idea... What if you ended up selling the BeaSSt, get a 5.3 SWB Trailblazer, then turn that into your project? You would have a truck with the electronics for a V8, and you could shove almost any LS based V8 in there. Drive the 5.3 for a while, save up and build a nice LS3 or heck LS7 lol :biggrin:

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Pittdawg said:
I don't understand how this is even possible. Are they inspecting the blown engines afterwards to determine the root cause of the failures? I can understand one or two failures but four?????

The first 3 were inspected. .. my orginal spun a bearing... 2nd they painted the valve springs and the paint flaked off cloggin the pickup tubs therefore scoring the cylinder walls and the sparkplugs were cross threaded on the driver side... the 3rd was jot internally balanced and now this crate motor spun a bearing as well... could be the design flaws of the LS2 with the oil pickup in the front of the pan instead of the back.. but who knows...

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I say give it one more go....I would. When you get it, change the oil after 100 miles, I have done this on the only 3 vehicles I bought brand new, 1 bike and 2 GM's. I don't care what's in there, you would be surprised what comes out of a brand new motor.

Then change it out again at 1K miles max. Let the motor warm up before you drive it away, about 2 min at least. My take on this goes way back to basic auto mechanics in grade school when my shop teacher explained piston rings and expansion and contraction. When cold, everything is odd-ball shaped and the expanding gases spread the rings out. Driving away cold adds very high stress to the rings at points of higher contact pressure and idling is the most minimal pressure they will see.

Once warmed up, they just glide easier and the oil is circulating better. I have driven mine away cold a few times and cringe every time I do it, I will roughly 98% of the time let the motor run for a couple min.

As for the rod bearings....who knows, but generally it's from oil starvation or possibly very poor assembly.

Actually, I would change the oil out after I drove it home if I were you, does the LS call for M1 or any synthetic?

Sucks bro....but I say one more try.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Well, I talked to the dealer yesturday and it's confirmed.. spun a bearing... bronze metal flake/metallic like metal in the oil...

Now the even worse news... there is a 6 month waiting list for another crate motor... I told the dealer to kick rocks with that... I'm not paying for my SS to sit in your service bay for 6 months (i still owe money on the loan)...

So they've confirmed with me (I guess they needed my approval) and they're going to pull the motor and send it to the local speed shop. The engine builder is very reputable and has worked on my fathers 1968 Firebird in the past... I feel comfertable with him rebuilding my motor and another bonus is I can be there every step of the way and watch him go through the motor with a fine tooth comb and know that it will be built right this time!

Reactions: RayVoy

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Well, I talked to the dealer yesturday and it's confirmed.. spun a bearing... bronze metal flake/metallic like metal in the oil...

Now the even worse news... there is a 6 month waiting list for another crate motor... I told the dealer to kick rocks with that... I'm not paying for my SS to sit in your service bay for 6 months (i still owe money on the loan)...

So they've confirmed with me (I guess they needed my approval) and they're going to pull the motor and send it to the local speed shop. The engine builder is very reputable and has worked on my fathers 1968 Firebird in the past... I feel comfertable with him rebuilding my motor and another bonus is I can be there every step of the way and watch him go through the motor with a fine tooth comb and know that it will be built right this time!

On a plus note, going this way, maybe you can slip the builder a little cash and get some upgrades while he has it apart.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online