Is this the end v. 2.0...

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
LS7 cam would be weak he needs a attitude v2

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Boricua SS said:
Well, I talked to the dealer yesturday and it's confirmed.. spun a bearing... bronze metal flake/metallic like metal in the oil...

Now the even worse news... there is a 6 month waiting list for another crate motor... I told the dealer to kick rocks with that... I'm not paying for my SS to sit in your service bay for 6 months (i still owe money on the loan)...

So they've confirmed with me (I guess they needed my approval) and they're going to pull the motor and send it to the local speed shop. The engine builder is very reputable and has worked on my fathers 1968 Firebird in the past... I feel comfertable with him rebuilding my motor and another bonus is I can be there every step of the way and watch him go through the motor with a fine tooth comb and know that it will be built right this time!

Glad to see you are giving it another chance! At least with a Built motor vs a crate motor it should hold together for a LOT longer!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Short Bus said:
On a plus note, going this way, maybe you can slip the builder a little cash and get some upgrades while he has it apart.

My thoughts exactly... perfect opportunity on free labor :biggrin:

STLtrailbSS said:

Best believe I've been crunching the numbers... I have enough for a cam, but the supporting mods are what's holding me back. With a cam I need to get a tune, then hardened push rods, springs capable of the bigger cam... basically the deluxe package from PCMofNC... then a stall and LT headers... too deep for my pockets... not to mention it would void my 100k mile warranty on the crate motor...but I'm trying to figure things out lol...

Darkrider_LS said:
Glad to see you are giving it another chance! At least with a Built motor vs a crate motor it should hold together for a LOT longer!

Well not giving it a chance persay, I just want the damn thing fixed... nobody wants a truck without a motor and the dealer will give me more with a working motor :rotfl:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I am going to give you the greatest suggestion of ALL TIME. Hes replacing bearings the engine has to come out..... For your health order the PCM oil pickup relocation RIGHT NOW!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
STLtrailbSS said:
I am going to give you the greatest suggestion of ALL TIME. Hes replacing bearings the engine has to come out..... For your health order the PCM oil pickup relocation RIGHT NOW!

well i'm RWD, so I can just drop the pan at home if I wanted... but I am in talks with the dealer to see if it will void the warranty :yes:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
My apologies if I missed something but would this not be the ideal time to bore that crate? Not cheap by any means but I would've swore it off had I been in your shoes. 427?

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
My apologies if I missed something but would this not be the ideal time to bore that crate? Not cheap by any means but I would've swore it off had I been in your shoes. 427?

He doesn't wanna void the warranty just incase (knock on wood) something goes wrong again
After the warranty it's a different story IF he keeps it

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
well i'm RWD, so I can just drop the pan at home if I wanted... but I am in talks with the dealer to see if it will void the warranty :yes:

Still, not nearly as easy as handing this guy a box. be nice to do it yourself but he will have an easier advantage there is not much to screw up really only worry is the O-Ring Seal at the pump.But as you stated already the builder is credible.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Man this sucks that you are going through this again Juan. At least it being rebuilt it should be a much stronger motor. You being able to see it being built up should also help you rest easier.

Now don't baby this thing!

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Playsinsnow said:

This would be the perfect time to do all that, add a cam, heads, etc.... BUT.... this is all on the dealers dime. My crate motor has a 100k mile warranty on it and since we agreed that I will not wait 6 months for a new crate motor, off to the speed shop it goes to be rebuilt. If I had the extra cash, I'd be all over stroking/forging this motor, but A) it will void the warranty and B) I just don't have the funds

Ryda55555 said:
He doesn't wanna void the warranty just incase (knock on wood) something goes wrong again
After the warranty it's a different story IF he keeps it

:iagree:

STLtrailbSS said:
Still, not nearly as easy as handing this guy a box. be nice to do it yourself but he will have an easier advantage there is not much to screw up really only worry is the O-Ring Seal at the pump.But as you stated already the builder is credible.

Touché

djthumper said:
Man this sucks that you are going through this again Juan. At least it being rebuilt it should be a much stronger motor. You being able to see it being built up should also help you rest easier.

Now don't baby this thing!

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Short Bus said:
On a plus note, going this way, maybe you can slip the builder a little cash and get some upgrades while he has it apart.

Yep, get the internals built right this time. :biggrin:

Ryda55555 said:
Ls7 cam!!!

Um...no. Not a good choice.

STLtrailbSS said:

This would be a MUCH better choice than a LS7 cam.

Boricua SS said:

Have him use a C6 Vette pan and be done with it. All factory GM parts except for the AC bracket (talk to Joe at LC32)!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
What happened with your engine Juan?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online