Interior Door Handle Problems

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hey everyone. I have been having door handle issues with this truck lately and not sure why.... The first one is the driver's door with it intermittently not tripping the retained accessory power off but this seems to clear if I close the door and reopen it a couple times or open another door. The other is the rear driver's door now only seems to be opening with the exterior door handle and the interior handle seems to pull with no resistance. I also hear what I think is the rod in the door bouncing when the door closes. I also verified the child locks are not set, so that isn't it. Any suggestions, more so with the 2nd issue? Does this mean I have to replace the entire door handle or could this be simply something that needs to be snapped back in? Thanks

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If you can hear a rod bouncing around in the door and the inside pull has no resistance, I'd say the rod came undone. Pull the panel, grab a flashlight and have a look around.

Your first issue suggests that the door switch is starting to fail.

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Ok I stand corrected.... With the rear door, I thought the rod was secured with some kind of nut or pin and I thought I was going to need to buy new parts because something broke. I opened the panel today and started first looking around in the bottom of the door for broken parts and found nothing. Then I looked and sure enough the rod pulled out of the orange plastic bushing.... Scary how easy they were able to pull out. Popped it back in, tested it and problem solved. Now I am concerned from a safety point of view how easy it pulled out. Was there some kind of design change or TSB for this?

With the switch in the driver's door is that an easy replacement or does the whole assembly need to be replaced? Thanks

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Honestly never looked for the switch, but knowing GM, it's the whole assembly.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depending on your dexterity, you could add a small zip tie around the rod and clip. Since it has already popped out on its own, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Reactions: Reprise

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Scary how easy they were able to pull out. Popped it back in, tested it and problem solved. Now I am concerned from a safety point of view how easy it pulled out.

I was gonna say, if you've got a heat gun, warm up those plastic clips, and give a little pinch to the fingers on it so it holds a little tighter.

When I switched out my door latch, those plastic clips were holding pretty firm. Can't imagine the clips releasing, rotating out, and rods just popping loose on their own without some serious encouragement. :twocents:

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
All,

Thanks again for the tips, I will look into the switch for the front door and further means of securing the rod on the rear door.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online