How to Replace Upper Ball Joint

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Hey guys,

So here is my latest video on the Trailblazer. After watching this you will know how to replace the upper ball joint (which commonly fails on our TBs). The job is actually really easy and the 35mm axle nut is the only tool I didnt have and had to order ($10 on Amazon). I rented the ball joint press for free.

Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3SJwitttwo

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Good job and good video! I wish we had that type of ball joint press to rent around here, the only ones we have are the type with the three different sized sleeves. Talk about a major PITA! FYI, that sleeve you were going to use works well for the bottom ball joint.

Reactions: dogfish246

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well done. Personally I don't mess with the CV axle nut.

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
gmac310 said:
Good job and good video! I wish we had that type of ball joint press to rent around here, the only ones we have are the type with the three different sized sleeves. Talk about a major PITA! FYI, that sleeve you were going to use works well for the bottom ball joint.
Thanks! That stinks you cant get a good press by you. This one is great! I am actually considering buying it because I use it so much.

dmanns67 said:
Another fantastic video and great tips :thumbsup:

At least the replacement ball joint came with a zerk fitting.
Thanks. Yea, those Mevotech ball joints are really nice. I am really liking their products!
HARDTRAILZ said:
Well done. Personally I don't mess with the CV axle nut.
It really isnt that big of a deal. The axle nut isnt even on that tight for our TBs. On my Ranger it goes on 250ft lbs on this it goes on 105ft lbs. Crazy difference! I never had any problems taking them off and putting them back on (even putting on the old ones which you are supposed to replace each time you take one off).

Reactions: dmanns67

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
Nicely done. Yours came out a lot easier than mine. I didn't even hear any swearing in yours. Lots when I did mine :smile:

The only thing that came to mind is that you need a ball peen hammer to join the claw hammer in your tool box. Maybe Santa will bring you one if you are a good boy.

c0a8l0v6i8n9

Mar 6, 2013
I bought a mevotech pitman and idler arm for my s10 blazer. A month later I failed my inspection. Both were shot. Never again will I buy mevotech

dogfish246

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
smokey262 said:
Nicely done. Yours came out a lot easier than mine. I didn't even hear any swearing in yours. Lots when I did mine :smile:

The only thing that came to mind is that you need a ball peen hammer to join the claw hammer in your tool box. Maybe Santa will bring you one if you are a good boy.
Haha, yea, which size would you recommend?

c0a8l0v6i8n9 said:
I bought a mevotech pitman and idler arm for my s10 blazer. A month later I failed my inspection. Both were shot. Never again will I buy mevotech
Wow crazy! I never had that problem with their parts and so far, I have been only impressed!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I too have not had luck with Mevotech. A tie-rod for another vehicle was cracked in the threaded hole portion and lower balljoints for this vehicle could never keep their boots on snug (but they have lasted 3 years though).

And as usual, great video!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Moog is CCC. Ya know....cheap Chinese crap.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It is the same as what is labelled CCC off eBay. After holding several parts side by side...I dont buy Moog branded stuff for additional money.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I know. I still think moog is junk.

Reactions: CaptainKD

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not fully made in USA. Some are and some are not.

Use whatever you like. I posted my opinion and you posted yours.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Moog isn't any better and in fact, are just overpriced. Their boots don't positively seal on the joint like the majority of the others on the market.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They have 5 Chinese plants and one office and one plant in USA. Lots of other plants and offices all over the world.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
They sell parts worldwide, can't build em all in one location. They manufacture parts in the areas they sell them. The parts we buy here were made here.

http://www.moogproducts.com/en-global/Suspension/Pages/Ball-Joints.aspx

Google reviews on the different brands specifically and see who comes out on top. It's just fine for you to have a preference but to say that a top rated company is CCC is just highly inaccurate and really just makes you look inexperienced.

Respectfully

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
This seemed highly ignorant to me for some reason. I guess since I find Moog to be overpriced crap, but maybe I should not call it cheap then. :yes:

Respectfully

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
:thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've seen my share of Moog parts fail over the years. Boots don't seem to last neither. I don't really care about lifetime warranty since it's my time that's more valuable. They put that out there since they know that the majority won't bother ever bringing them back or they lost the original invoice. When I bought my truck 3 years ago, it had Moog tie-rods. They looked like they were well greased but were shot. I will buy Moog only if there is nothing else available and the urgency.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
c0a8l0v6i8n9 said:
I bought all mevotech front end parts for my old blazer and while installing a tie rod end the castle nut for the stud stripped out like nothing with just a 3/8" ratchet.... had to order a new tie rod as the stud thread size was different then anything else i had.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Great video. I need to do tie rods, and at approaching 100k this video just convince me to at least do the upper ball joints while I'm at it.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
:bump:

My uppers need to be replaced soon. Anyone have any recommend brands? I don't mean to start an argument, I just want to know what is the best bang for my buck.

Zack2003

Jan 24, 2015
If Moog is crap then what Brand is good? I have used moog a bunch and it's definitely better then the Duralast auto zone crap but I haven't used anything else.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rikosintie

Members Online