How far is your travel TO and FROM work?

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I used to travel 70 miles there and back. Since ive gotten my new job its about 6 miles to and from. 1st year of owning my truck i put on about 24k miles. Now I save about $350 in gas a month plus mileage on my ss!!! Let us hear your mileage to and from work......

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
I'm at 42 miles each way... Takes roughly an hour there and an hour back -- not much day left after the journey.

I could speed that up a tad by running the freeway instead of county highways, which cuts off close to 15 minutes, but at a penalty of worse fuel economy and SERIOUS wear and tear on the suspension, lights, etc. as the freeway I have to travel is bumpety-bumpety-bump all the way, enough so that I generally have to replace headlight bulbs after a couple of trips...

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yea I remember taking diff routes to work every now and again for different scenery. I tried avoiding shit roads so I wouldn't tear her up. Or take another route due to them putting down "chip n seal"....hate that shit!! OR when they filled potholes with asphalt.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
8 miles each way. Mix of suburban streets and nursery/small farm roads. No freeway. Many alternatives. Longest commute ever was when the entire county and parts of others had a cascade power failure right at evening commute time. All traffic lights were out. Took over an hour to get to the farm road bypasses and get home to prepare for my wife's arrival.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
32 miles, round trip. Mornings, approximately 20-25 minutes. Evenings, approximately 25-35 minutes, or more, depending on traffic. Use roughly 7/8ths of a tank each week. When I get lucky enough, to have a half-day, the trip is 20 minutes or less. The freeway system in Louisville is outdated, so there is no easy way to get anywhere. Left-lane cruisers doing 60, just to avoid the traffic merging onto the highway. Even in spots, where it goes three-wide, they still stay in that left lane.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
8 miles roundtrip. Takes me about 10 minutes to get to work when I am on night shift, 25 in the morning. It can also depend on the gate guards, weather, training events etc.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
135 miles round trip.

About 20 city and 115 highway. Its about 65 minutes each way.

Spend more in fuel but save big time in cost of living. About $500 per month and that covers fuel without issue. Also puts us near family and give me a job opportunity not available nearer to home.

Used to live 15 miles aways and the commute was near 45 minutes with the higher cost of living away from family and friends. I dont regret the change or the miles.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
84 miles round trip...mostly I-35 and 435...really need a job closer to home, but nothing there pays what I make currently

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Back when I started I was doing 110 miles round trip. Most of that was in my old Camaro that got 28-30mpg (not joking, it did pretty darn good on gas).

Now I have a 28 mile round trip. But I do enough service calls that I still put nearly 30k on the truck last year. Good thing about that is I get paid mileage, and the reimbursement paid for every drop of gas, oil changes, and insurance for both vehicles last year so that ain't too bad :biggrin:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
About 18 miles round trip - 20 minutes each way. All surface streets. Nothing exciting at all.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
55 miles round trip everyday. Majority of the drive is on I-81. On a good night I can make it to work in 30 minutes. The commute home in the mornings is slower due to everyone heading into work.

Usually fill up once a week, but have about 1/4 tank left when I do. Roughly spend about $240 a month on gas.

Could have lived closer, but cost of living was way higher in Maryland versus West Virginia.

jfkmk

Mar 7, 2013
About 110 round trip. But, I use my daily driver, a Civic that gets nearly 40 MPG and I carpool, so it isn't too bad at all. I think my Envoy would kill me in gas if I used it on that commute every day.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Used to be 9.5 miles each way, 8 miles of two lane and 1.5 miles of one lane.

Now it isn't for work, but every weekend its 125 miles one way from school to home, takes two hours give or take 5 minutes.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Well not mileage on the truck, but on my car. 38 miles one way, since 2007. I am approaching 160k miles....but I fear this cold weather this year is probably doing more harm than the last 6 years combined. :sadcry:

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
8.8 miles to work 2+ days a week on back roads and rural highway. The B&B I work at sits all alone on 300 acres. It's a beautiful commute.
I also commute 14 miles to class 4 days a week.
Friday is usually my only day I don't have to go anywhere.

Too Fast

Jan 28, 2014
If I take the the highway around the city, it is 24 miles, and about 28 minutes.

If I go thru the city on the most direct route, it's 15 miles, and 35 minutes.

Either way with the Trans Am is almost a gallon of gas, with the TB it'd be more gas, with the winter car (Grand Am) it's less gas than the WS6.

Not a bad drive either way, but I used to have a 5 mile one way commute and 14 minutes.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
59 miles round trip on 2 lane roads. 40 minutes each way. I drive the Grand Prix when the weather is good. The drive is worth it because life at the lake is awesome!!!!

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
78 miles roundtrip, about 56 min to and 1h 15 from work.

But luckily i have a company service car and don't have to pay anything.

If i had to get to work in my own truck i would get paid by the miles, but that
money would not cover the fuel cost in the TB so i would have to get a second
small diesel car to commute in.

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
14 miles round trip. 2 of those I'm running 4 cylinder. Should get the old Toyota back running again and drive it. But i love driving the TB so much. Especially now when it's so cold! Seat heaters rock!

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
7 miles round trip. 5 mins to work in the morning. 20 mins going back home. damn traffic.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
4.2 miles round trip for me. At end of my street I go right, left, right, left then left into work. 5 mins or less any time of day. Then I drive an E-250 extended with a 4.6L for work. The best part of every work day is getting back in my GMC 5.3L for the drive home. I often take a long drive home just because...

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Conner299 said:
32 miles, round trip. Mornings, approximately 20-25 minutes. Evenings, approximately 25-35 minutes, or more, depending on traffic. Use roughly 7/8ths of a tank each week. When I get lucky enough, to have a half-day, the trip is 20 minutes or less. The freeway system in Louisville is outdated, so there is no easy way to get anywhere. Left-lane cruisers doing 60, just to avoid the traffic merging onto the highway. Even in spots, where it goes three-wide, they still stay in that left lane.

I drove that system almost every day as I commuted from Shively, south of the Watterson to Southern Seminary on the north side. Found it fastest to go opposite the normal flow of traffic and take 264 west and north, then across the spaghetti and off at Lexington Road instead of trying the Watterson the other way around. Too many bottle necks where the freeways met at I-65, the Popalar Road exit, etc., and also near the fairgrounds on I65 if we went that way.

It took me a good half an hour every day to go 13 miles! Now, in rural Wisconsin, I travel 42 miles in 45 minutes if on the freeway and about 55 minutes on rural roads if they are not snow covered. A bit more if weather is bad, as it has been almost every day this winter!

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Harpo said:
78 miles roundtrip, about 56 min to and 1h 15 from work.

But luckily i have a company service car and don't have to pay anything.

If i had to get to work in my own truck i would get paid by the miles, but that
money would not cover the fuel cost in the TB so i would have to get a second
small diesel car to commute in.

Yup... I can't afford to commute with the Trailblazer. Picked up a Rav4, which gets almost 10 more MPG and does great on winter roads with AWD. My wife commutes the TB, about 12 miles each way on rural roads.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
20 miles round-trip, includes dropping off the bambino at daycare. Used to be 30 miles until we switched her to a new daycare closer to home.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
3 mi round trip. a right at the end of my street, 3 stop signs, 3 traffic lights, a left, block and a half.
depending on time of morning, normally 7 ish, about 5 min.
if 7:15 or later, could be up to 20 min. have to drive by the high school that starts @ 7:35.
town of 26,000 only one main bridge to get across town, so have to deal w/ east side going to high school and
west side going to middle school or the military school.
coming home, 5 ish, usually ave 10-15 min because of traffic.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Google tells me it's exactly 30 miles round trip. It's all smoooooth interstate. The left lane is smooth anyway. I work midnights, so it doesn't take long. You know...because of no traffic.

Jared

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
8 miles round trip for me. 4 miles each way in city traffic with a stop light at damn near every intersection. If I can catch all the lights going to work, it takes me 12 minutes. If I sit at all the lights, it takes me 20-25 minutes. I love my Grand Prix. I fill it up once a paycheck (get paid semi-monthly) since I get about an avg of 22 mpg's. The one time I did use the beaSSt as a daily, I had to fill up about once a week, but that's because I wouldn't let her get below a half a tank.

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
8 minute walk there, with a 3 minute stop for coffee and breakfast.
Walk home usually takes an hour or two, depending on how happy hour goes.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Wow....never realized so many other people had long commutes.

Currently 85 miles round-trip, but that will go down to about 72 miles round trip when we move in 2 weeks time. I do get reimbursed at the government tax rate for about 30 of those miles, which easily covers gas in my DD Passat 1.8T.

Looking forward to better weather (if it ever arrives) so I can dig (literally) my motorcycle out of the garage and commute on 2 wheels again. Not a huge saving in gas (shouldn't ride a 1200cc I4 bike if I want to save gas :wink:) but the benefit to my soul is priceless.

Eric_Kruger

Feb 13, 2014
1.1 miles round trip if I drive, most of the time in the summer I bike or walk if I can. Used to drive 45 minutes each way, I do not miss it!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online