How "clean" do you clean your ride?

benz01

Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Kansas
I'm curious how much work you all put in to the paint and finish of you TB? Do you just wash and then wax once per year or do you to the whole 9 yards (wash, surface prep, polish, wax, & maintain)? I have never done the clay bar and polish before but am going to start doing this at least once per year. Anyone else do this or am I just crazy?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not as often as I should :no:

Until recently I couldn't even wash my vehicles at my place so that made it hard. When I got my Camaro this spring it took priority in car washing, so when I had a chance it would get washed first. The Trailblazer has seen a few car washes this year but no full blown hand washes yet or a proper wax job. It's last wax was right before winter. But now that I have a water spigot I should hopefully be able to wash both a little more often, provided I have time after work before the sun goes down.

George

Dec 8, 2011
benz01 said:
I'm curious how much work you all put in to the paint and finish of you TB? Do you just wash and then wax once per year or do you to the whole 9 yards (wash, surface prep, polish, wax, & maintain)? I have never done the clay bar and polish before but am going to start doing this at least once per year. Anyone else do this or am I just crazy?

I use turtle wax zip wax car wash, then mothers clay bar system, then meguiars show car glaze #7 and finally turtle wax paste wax :smile:

04Trailblazer

Feb 27, 2012
I wash and wax it with Meguiars. Ultimate polish gives it a great shine its a pre-waxing glaze then i use a Ultimate Liquid Wax by Meguaiars. For washing i use a Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner. I only do this occasionally only because its pretty expensive stuff. Meguiar's ultimate liquid wax is $20! BTW: i touched up my trim so now it is black and not that ugly faded grey. View attachment 21353

Attachments

• ll 069.jpg
    ll 069.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 32

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I've been slacking lately, but last summer I was washing at least twice a week and waxing at least once a week. Full interior detail as well as engine bay power washing would happen about once a month.

I was using cheap Megiuars Car Wash from Walmart, now i have Car Brite Carolina Wash n Wax (something like that, smells like bubble gum it's awesome). And I've gone through my fair share of waxes. Technicians Choice Tec 22, Tec 590, Meguiars Cleaner Wax, currently using Car Brite Crystal Shine. Gives the finish that waxed look and it goes on and off real easily.

Might seem overkill to people, but having black paint is a bitch to maintain. If I wash and dry, I have to go over the car again with a damp chamois and a dry microfiber following to get all the waterspots off just from washing. It takes an extra 15 minutes to wax it instead of just wipe it down so I usually end up doing that.

Recently it's been more like wash every 2 weeks, wax once a month :sadcry:

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
04Trailblazer said:
I wash and wax it with Meguiars. Ultimate polish gives it a great shine its a pre-waxing glaze then i use a Ultimate Liquid Wax by Meguaiars. For washing i use a Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner. I only do this occasionally only because its pretty expensive stuff. Meguiar's ultimate liquid wax is $20! BTW: i touched up my trim so now it is black and not that ugly faded grey. View attachment 7471

I approve; I have tried a few products and am by far happiest with Meguiars.

Hey, Canyon County plates. My hometown is Boise, but I'm currently stationed in California.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I cover mine in clay then use trees to scrape it off

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I power washed my wheel wells and undercarriage for the first time after about three mud runs. The truck is about 20 pounds lighter but my driveway is a horror, and we're not allowed to power wash driveways in the county so I had to use the leaf blower to get rid of the dirt into the landscaping while my downhill neighbor wasn't home to notice. :wink:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I spent 3 hours claybarring one door. The results were phenomenal. That was three months ago and I need to do the rest.

When I clean the inside, I remove the seats and paneling and get into every nook and cranny thoroughly.

I'm still carrying around mud from an off-road adventure a year ago.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Autopia.org is what you're looking for.

I'll save you the effort of asking - Yes, a Porter-Cable 7424 dual-action polisher is worth the money. It's practically fool-proof to use. You'd have to make an intentionally severe error in product choice or drop it onto the car to seriously damage the paint.

I use Megs #80, #9, #7, and #16, as well as Klasse All-In-One and Sealant Glaze. The last clay bar I used was from Mothers and worked well.

Plenty of good products out there, but you're not going to find many of them at K-Mart. Meguiars is about the best you can find at most retailers. For an excellent wax, see if your Harley-Davidson shop carries S100 paste wax.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Autotopia :iagree: Hands down authority on Auto Detailing, Dont be afraid of using a Porter Cable its a Dual Action which basically means its hard to mess things up, I learned everything online when I was about 17 and its been a good money maker detailing isn't hard its just tedious and a lot of people would rather pay then do it themselves = Easy side money and its pretty enjoyable.That being said when I had my Black LT it was a two day event 1 1/2 on the exterior and the rest interior
Now that I have the SS I always wanted I care much more about the Vroom Vroom then the shine lol but i have detailed it once. Also recently did a CTS heres my process.

Diluted Dawn Mix, Dawn will strip existing Wax's,Sealents.

Then a Foam Cannon (AKA $5 Lawn Feeder container/sprayer via home depot) of Megs Ultimate then rinse. never will I pay $100 for a foam gun.

Meguiars Professional Aggressive (RED) clay bar

Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound using either a Wool Cutting Or Lake Country Orange buffing pad on a Porter Cable.
Megs M205 Finishing White Lake Country Pad

Meguiars Polymer Sealant for my "Wax" Step

Simple Green for engine bay,wheel wells, Megs Hot Shine for tires

Thats my simplified version.

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

ctsss-1.jpg

DSCF3014.jpg

My SS used to be a such a stocker lol.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
^^^ my SS is a stocker:sadcry: but hopefully soon enuf it'll be closer to the pavement.... but usually I wash mine 2 times a week.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Just a note that if you get into detailing, you'll realize how crappy GM paint is. I think they sub the paint work out to Tropicana, there's so much orange peel in it. I've had four different GM vehicles (1999, 2004, 2004, 2007) and all of them had terrible paint.

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
strat81 said:
Just a note that if you get into detailing, you'll realize how crappy GM paint is. I think they sub the paint work out to Tropicana, there's so much orange peel in it. I've had four different GM vehicles (1999, 2004, 2004, 2007) and all of them had terrible paint.

I agree, I've been fighting with orange peel and extremely fine scratches in the clear coat, only visible under bright sun light, took it to a professional detailer, took 5-6 hours, and all they really did was cover them, next wash, at the same detailer, they were back, had that done 3 different times last summer with 3 different techniques and products, before they said we can't do much else and suggested to repaint it.

Now, its getting new paint and hood from a hail storm last week.

Back on topic, summer time I wash it about every week, and wax it once a month with megs ultimate, clay it every 3-4 months with megs plain old clay box from Autozone.

Wintertime it gets a little neglected, washed every 2-3 weeks to get the mag chloride off, and a wax once or twice depending on the temp.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
I'll hand wash and wax the "fleet" once a year using Collinite Insulator wax. Maybe every 6-8 weeks, I run through a car wash. Usually "wash" it on the highway in the rain.

Its a moot point where I live. No garage, on street parking, state highway is a stones throw from where I park. There is a coal dump across the highway from me - so all the dump trucks stirring up coal dust all the time. There is also an aggregate supply next to the coal dump. Another business that deals with big coils of steel, the sewage processing plant, city port and the Ohio River. Everything is covered in dust and soot. Not to mention I have to parallel park under power lines - so the birds sit on the powerlines all day and shit all over my truck.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
strat81 said:

If you had a Chrysler, it may not have any paint left.:no:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
mapanch said:
I'll hand wash and wax the "fleet" once a year using Collinite Insulator wax. Maybe every 6-8 weeks, I run through a car wash. Usually "wash" it on the highway in the rain.

Its a moot point where I live. No garage, on street parking, state highway is a stones throw from where I park. There is a coal dump across the highway from me - so all the dump trucks stirring up coal dust all the time. There is also an aggregate supply next to the coal dump. Another business that deals with big coils of steel, the sewage processing plant, city port and the Ohio River. Everything is covered in dust and soot. Not to mention I have to parallel park under power lines - so the birds sit on the powerlines all day and shit all over my truck.

Looks like u might need to invest in a car cover

04Trailblazer

Feb 27, 2012
Lima Tango said:
I approve; I have tried a few products and am by far happiest with Meguiars.

Hey, Canyon County plates. My hometown is Boise, but I'm currently stationed in California.

I kinda like living in Canyon county because during winter they don't use salt on the roads :biggrin: , so i am rust and corrosion free! Living in Nampa but id like to live in Boise more. BTW: here my engine compartment after some Simple green and some Armor all :smile: Also spent the day Shampooing carpets and seats, i think it came out pretty well. View attachment 21370

Attachments

• file-26.jpg
    file-26.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 18
  • file-16.jpg
    file-16.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 20

joeredspecial

Mar 23, 2012
You guys make me feel terrible about my Trailblazer :sadcry:

I was thinking I'd pay to have it detailed professionally then start taking care of it, but that would only be after I got a ton of touch-up work done. And repainting the faded gray trim. Sadly it just isn't worth what it would cost.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
joeredspecial said:
You guys make me feel terrible about my Trailblazer :sadcry:

I was thinking I'd pay to have it detailed professionally then start taking care of it, but that would only be after I got a ton of touch-up work done. And repainting the faded gray trim. Sadly it just isn't worth what it would cost.

Baby steps. Don't try to tackle the entire vehicle in one shot. Clay bar it one weekend. Clean any etched glass the next weekend. Tackle the gray trim the following weekend. Vacuum and dust the interior after work one day. Scotchgard the interior the day after. So on and so forth.

Trying to "fix" a neglected vehicle in one weekend is a bad idea. Too many processes can require too much time for it all to be done in one weekend (at least properly).

The other thing is money. Buckets, towels, wash mitts, paint shampoo, carpet cleaner, glass polish, glass cleaner, fabric protector, leather cleaner, leather conditioner, vinyl protectant (do NOT buy Armor-All!!!!), compound, polish, glaze, wax, sealant, bug & tar remover, detailing clay, quick detailer, wheel brush, wheel cleaner, trim restorer, wet-dry vac, extension cord, hose, nozzle... if you buy it all at once, you will leave a noticeable hole in your wallet.

Dec 16, 2011
strat81 said:

I've had considerably more than four (including three with the infamous rear bumper chalking syndrome). My TB has by far the best paint of any of them, both in terms of application and durability.

Dec 16, 2011
strat81 said:
Baby steps. Don't try to tackle the entire vehicle in one shot. Clay bar it one weekend. Clean any etched glass the next weekend. Tackle the gray trim the following weekend. Vacuum and dust the interior after work one day. Scotchgard the interior the day after. So on and so forth.

Trying to "fix" a neglected vehicle in one weekend is a bad idea. Too many processes can require too much time for it all to be done in one weekend (at least properly).

The other thing is money. Buckets, towels, wash mitts, paint shampoo, carpet cleaner, glass polish, glass cleaner, fabric protector, leather cleaner, leather conditioner, vinyl protectant (do NOT buy Armor-All!!!!), compound, polish, glaze, wax, sealant, bug & tar remover, detailing clay, quick detailer, wheel brush, wheel cleaner, trim restorer, wet-dry vac, extension cord, hose, nozzle... if you buy it all at once, you will leave a noticeable hole in your wallet.

Agreed. Most of my detailing stuff is in storage, and I havent got the spare change to replace it. Furthermore, the idiot who previously owned mine left it in such horrible cosmetic condition, apparently the only thing he ever did to the interior was spray-paint some of the carpet stains.

So, bit by bit, I clean it up every other weekend (when I don't have the kids). The current project is to get the dog hair out of the back two rows, and clean the remaining spots out of the carpet. The secret there, BTW, is Spray n Wash (with Resolve--the key phrase). No auto carpet cleaner works better, not even Meguiar's.

Next time I wax it, I may do that in bits as well. First time I did it, I nearly collapsed. By far the most sheet metal I've ever put my hands on at one time.
'

joeredspecial

Mar 23, 2012
strat81 said:

I purchased a lot of those things a few years ago. I started with the clay bar, after about 10 hours one day I wasn't even 1/4 done and didn't see any improvement. Like I said, once I decide to get some touch up work done then I will do more than washing a couple times a year.

RavenWolf

May 28, 2012
mapanch said:

I can empathize with the coal...I work across the street from a coal power plant and we get some high winds blowing coal dust EVERYWHERE!

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
I got ahold of that new Turtle Wax ICE stuff... The wash, wax, and detailer. The wax is a liquid wax that can also be applied to, well, the entire outside of the car. Been two weeks now and the water still sheets right off and the dirt doesn't really stick to it. The rubber around the windows is now a brilliant black color and seems to be staying that way without catching all the dust like armor all and such does. The bumper plastic has kept a beautiful wet shine. Even the tail lights look brand new, all this with just a quick application and rub down.. I personally think it works reallly good, especially for a quick shine up and protect for someone who just wants some protection for not alot of loot.

Dec 16, 2011
McGMT said:
I got ahold of that new Turtle Wax ICE stuff... The wash, wax, and detailer. The wax is a liquid wax that can also be applied to, well, the entire outside of the car. Been two weeks now and the water still sheets right off and the dirt doesn't really stick to it. The rubber around the windows is now a brilliant black color and seems to be staying that way without catching all the dust like armor all and such does. The bumper plastic has kept a beautiful wet shine. Even the tail lights look brand new, all this with just a quick application and rub down.. I personally think it works reallly good, especially for a quick shine up and protect for someone who just wants some protection for not alot of loot.

I bought Turtle Wax trim detailer. Last Turtle Wax product I will ever buy. Every time it rains I get white streaks on the front bumper from the crap being washed off. I figured I would just use it up and never buy it again; at the rate I'm having to reapply it, that should happen in about four weeks.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
A dealership I worked at back in the late 70's used RIT dye and a scrub brush to redo the carpets.

Gump2773

Feb 21, 2012
hmmm, carpet stains + plasti dip ... oi vey! It cant be used on everything.

:rotfl:

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
Well my truck has fresh paint so I try to atleast use a wash and wax soap and possible wax afterwards too,even if its a cheap spray wax.

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
All meguiars:

1.Gold Class Shampoo
2. Ultimate Rubbing Compound/Clay Bar kit
3. Ultimate Polish
4. NXT Gen. Wax

Maintain with Quick Detailer between washes.

steps 2,3, 4 i only do every 4-6 or so depends.

Be Warned, expensive stuff :frown:

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
IHZ05VOY said:
All meguiars:

1.Gold Class Shampoo
2. Ultimate Rubbing Compound/Clay Bar kit
3. Ultimate Polish
4. NXT Gen. Wax

Maintain with Quick Detailer between washes.

steps 2,3, 4 i only do every 4-6 or so depends.

Be Warned, expensive stuff :frown:

I respectfully disagree. I find most Meguiar's products to be very reasonably priced. The bonus is that many of their consumer products are available OTC rather than having to source them online.

Yes, they're more expensive than some of the other garbage products to be found at Walmart and Kmart, but they're typically not products you use very much of, with the possible exception of shampoo.

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
strat81 said:
I respectfully disagree. I find most Meguiar's products to be very reasonably priced. The bonus is that many of their consumer products are available OTC rather than having to source them online.

Yes, they're more expensive than some of the other garbage products to be found at Walmart and Kmart, but they're typically not products you use very much of, with the possible exception of shampoo.

Yea i agree that compared to others you pay for what you get, so do not go cheap.:twocents: I am actually paying for last owner ignorance to care for the paint
:bonk: no bueno!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online