How can snapshots be erased from Tech 2?

Dexter7*7

Original poster
May 1, 2024
Be Here Now
Hello. I have a 2001 Chevy Astro van.

I purchased a Vetronix/Bosch Tech 2 recently. It seems that there is some PC software licensed by GM that is needed to 'upload' Tech 2 snapshots to a file on the PC and display them.

I have heard some comments about 'temporary subscriptions' to this software.
(TIS 2000? One year/one model (or some smaller subscription time segment)
As it stands, seems like GM designed the system to lock users into a steady cash drain. Designed for dealerships.

Being frugal and an inveterate hardware hacker, my question is this:

These snapshots are transmitted from the Tech 2 to the PC software via RS-232 serial communications protocol. I wonder about using a Terminal Emulator to access this data, but I need some more info from anyone here with Tech 2 experience and perhaps a healthy dose of white hat hacking.

Share what you know. Please advise, thanks.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Bosch Vetronix OEM Tech 2 Owners Manual PDF covers this topic from Pages 39-45:

https://tech2wiki.com/content/media_archive/pdf/gm_tech2_user_guide.pdf

The Basic “Tech 2 to Terminal” ‘ET Phone Home” TIS2WEB information for the transfer of Snap Shots was covered in the Canadian GM TSB in the PDF linked below. It should be noted that as an OEM “Dealership Only” Tool from the mid 1990s… they never anticipated that there would be Private Ownership of “Terminals” for cross communication... AND... The Limitation on the Number of Snap Shots that can be Stored before they get automatically DELETED.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10116588-9999.pdf

However, ‘The Swede” shows how to set up the SPS features of TIS2000...and perhaps there are features found in IT via a Laptop Set Up that will allow for Snap Shot Deletions. Visit “The Swede” after viewing this Video at his YT Channel for this and his other Tech 2 Training Visuals that might show the features for removing Snap-Shots via the SPS Program in the TIS2000 Software:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+remove+gm+tech+2+snapshots&atb=v346-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIpEjK75T7Y

Lastly on this topic is the fact that you can always obtain an additional 32 Megabyte Linear Ram PCMCIA Card and simply install it into the Second Slot of the Tech 2, follow the formatting procedures and then save any necessary Snap-Shots in that fashion. Remember that Linear Ram is NOT like having an Extra Standard ATA PCMCIA Secondary Storage Digital Hard Drive Card that has R&W capabilities as with most Windows Laptop Computers.

Do some more research on this topic before attempting to R&R your Tech 2 Program 33.004 Card into and out of your Laptop ...and perhaps cause it more harm than good. There are many more Threads that mention these issues in the Tech 2 Sub-Forum of GMT Nation to assist you with your research. Don’t Freelance Too Much with your Tech 2 unless you are willing to drop it into an unrecoverable Technical Tailspin while... “Experimenting”.

There is much more Multi-Media assistance available at THIS Link regarding the many uses of the Tech-2 across many GM and GMC Car-Line, Truck-Line and SUV Platforms:

The attached TECH2PATHS is THE Tech 2 Bible for A-Z on the Keypad Inputs to perform a bewildering array of Tech 2 Tasks.

Attachments

• gm_tech2_paths.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • MC-10116588-9999.pdf
    637.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dexter7*7

Original poster
May 1, 2024
Be Here Now
I posted too quickly, and I don't see a delete button. Digging into all these links and info, thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

Dexter7*7

Original poster
May 1, 2024
Be Here Now
Yes, that PDF shows how to use the Tech 2 AND TIS2000 to transfer snapshots to a PC.
The links to TIS2000 are almost all broken, the files can't be downloaded there. The one download link that isn't broken flags my antivirus as containing a Trojan.

Maybe I should have gotten a VXDIAG instead of a clone Tech2

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably the crack is getting flagged, like they all do. Use it on an old disconnected laptop if you're worried.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online