high pitch metal on metal sound when turning right

chopper320

Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
I have an 04 Trailblazer with 150k miles on it. I did a lot of work on my front end this weekend. I changed the upper and lower ball joints on both sides, the end links on both sides, the half shaft on the passenger side and the hub assembly on the passenger side. I did all this by reading all of the posts on this forum. This site has saved me so much money and frustration.

My plan was to change the brakes and rotors too because I know they're bad but I ordered the parts online and they sent me the wrong rotors. I plan on doing the brakes next weekend.

I have everything back together and it's driving great but now when I turn the wheel to the right while moving I hear a high pitch noise that sounds to me like metal on metal. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere around the passenger side tire.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I didn't hear this before I did the work. Is it possibly just from putting the old worn brakes back on? Or could I not have got the half shaft assembly seated all the way? Is there anything else I would notice if it wasn't seated properly? It felt like it popped in all the way but I just can't think of anything else it could be.

Thanks for reading this long post.

Jul 24, 2012
BlazingTrails said:
It sounds to me like the heat shield behind the rotor. It is VERY easy to bend them and touch the rotor.
Had the same deal on the driver's side after having the hub off. It sounded awful. It was the heat shield.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Jul 24, 2012
chopper320 said:
Thanks guys. Did you replace the heat shield or just leave it?
Just bent it with my hand 'til it looked better and put the wheel back on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I removed mine during my last brake/hub job. Useless.

Reactions: kickass audio

chopper320

Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Ok. Would it be pretty obvious if I didn't have the half shaft seated all the way? I keep thinking about that but it sure felt like it popped in and wouldnt go any farther.

I'll look at the heat shield when I do my brakes this weekend and see if that gets rid of the sound.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't think the shaft is the problem. Once you have the brakes apart and the shield exposed, if it's really rusty, just bend it back and forth until it breaks off.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online