HID what color is everyone running? Thats giving them the most light output?

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Hey guys. I'm just wondering what color everybody uses on their Trailvoy. Currently running 4300k on the low beams and 5000k for fog lights. I kinda wanna change it around. Any opinions?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I run 6000k for my low beams and there pretty bright to me

But your 4300k will give you the most light! What you can do is 4300k or 5000k for the low beams and then 3000k for the fogs and that will give you the most light output you can get from the HID's. Unless you move to 55w then your just risking blinding people and stuff

Also 55w will melt the fog light housing (stock ones)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 15

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
4300 in the fogs and lows on mine. I used to have 6Ks and thought they were bright until I was parked next to one with 4300s.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
5000k is the highest I go. 6000k was slightly blue ish and I didn't like it.

Plus I think colored headlights look really cheesy.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
jham said:
I got 4300k but they look more like 5000k :confused:there not as white as I had hoped

4300k have some yellow in it dont they?

GotAir?

Jan 7, 2012
i've been thru many many many different kits over the years. The less the "k" the higher the output 3000k (yellow) the brightest, 4000-6000k or so is gonna give ya close to white, 8000k usually give pretty dark blue, 10000k is a lighter blue (more blue-ish white), and 12k and higher is towards the purple side of the color range (12k and higher has the least light output of HID's but still WAY more than any type of factory bulb). I have off-brand 30k in my wifes s10 and silverstar bulbs for her brights and they are similar output range.
My favorite for all of them is 10k. Works the best in the rain/snow/clear weather and doesn't have enuff color for any type of hassle by the local police.
Here is a pic of my old charger with McCulloch 10k, and i took those out of my charger and put em in my challenger that i have now and i love them. if i ever buy any more 10k i will probably buy ballasts from DDM tuning, and buy replacement 10k McCulloch bulbs from Xenonking.com (kits from xenonking are around $300 compared to replacement bulbs run around $100) In my last couple show cars i ran DDM tunings 12k, and those are a light purple color and look killer too. Its more of less of personal choice if your going for light output or if you want something that makes your truck look cool coming at you down the road. if your looking for color i'd go with 10-12k(unless you want a LOT of blue, then go with DDM 8k). If your going for light output i'd go with 6000k personally (but then again its all personal preference, i'm just here for guidance, lol) Hope this helps, any questions lemme know! :thumbsup:
heres a couple pics of my charger with McCulloch 10k
2mrebtu.jpg

34eau5s.jpg

stock compared to expensive 10k
mjvh1g.jpg

1427gv8.jpg

heres DDM 12k on my envoy (idk why but my phone makes them look a little more blue then they actually are, they are slightly purple)
2192iiw.jpg

1zsl1c.jpg

heres McCulloch 12k that i have in my wifes dakota (wanted something dark purple to match the paint)
2n6gcww.jpg

30xfu9w.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
4300K lows and fogs on mine.

3000K is yellowish, 4300K is about as white as you'll get and is OEM temperature, 5000K+ starts from a very very light blue tint and get progressively darker untill it goes purple around 10000K or 12000K.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I have VVME 6000K in my TB, they are very white with just the slightest hint of blue in the light itself, but the light projecting on the road is pure white.

My Taurus has VVME 4300K, and they are very bright, but I don't like the color at all. They are whiter than stock, but still a good bit of yellow in them, but the light projecting on the road seems to have a pinkish cast to it. Fortunately, I also think the Taurus is among the most god-awful ugly cars ever built, so I'm not worried about appearance, I just drive back dirt roads in the dark to and from work so I use them to run the deer gauntlet

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ace1875 said:
5000k 55w low, high and 5000k 35W fogs

although 4300k gives out the most. i like a hint of blue and 5000k seems the best of both worlds to me.

Ouch I'd hate to be coming the opposite direction.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like my 5K

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I have 8000k's lows and fogs on the beaSSt... here's a side by side comparison with my factory halogen lights on my daily driver...

2011-11-11183042.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Thats too blue for me.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
Thats too blue for me.

Matches the theme I'm going with :crackup:.. blue outside, and all blue lights inside..

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I love all these color choices :biggrin: lol right now im leaning to switching either both to 4300k or 5000k. But question if i do HIDS in my High Beam should i go with 55ws?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Don't do hid's with highs. I did. It takes 10 to 15 sec for them to warm up. (Unless u don't care). Really can't flash if u need to.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
silvernclean said:
Don't do hid's with highs. I did. It takes 10 to 15 sec for them to warm up. (Unless u don't care). Really can't flash if u need to.

I hate the yellow color of my Highs. And thats true. I live in New York. I think i need the Flash to pass and to warn others. So many BAD DRIVERS!. The trailblazer became my car officially but my father still uses it and i want maximum light output.

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
silvernclean said:
U can get sylvania ultra bright bulbs that match for ur highs

I can order them online right? The pepboys or Autozones dont stock up well. And if they do I dont like any of the bulbs they do have. :frown:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
kjkim93 said:
I can order them online right? The pepboys or Autozones dont stock up well. And if they do I dont like any of the bulbs they do have. :frown:

I would imagine. U can order pretty much anything online.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Don't get me wrong I like my highs...but if I were to do it over again id do the halogens for my highs.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Using VVME 5000k in the lows and fogs. Very happy with the color. Pure white, they have a hint of blue for the first 10 secs until they warm up but then it's gone. I was talked out of HIDs for the my highs, and now I see with the warm up time that was a good choice. I going to pick up a set of silverstars.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Using VVME 5000k in the lows and fogs. Very happy with the color. Pure white, they have a hint of blue for the first 10 secs until they warm up but then it's gone. I was talked out of HIDs for the my highs, and now I see with the warm up time that was a good choice. I going to pick up a set of silverstars.

I use Silverstar Ultras in my highs. Wish they were a little whiter but they definitely provide a ton of light. Did you do the quad beam mod? I love it

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
SBUBandit said:
I use Silverstar Ultras in my highs. Wish they were a little whiter but they definitely provide a ton of light. Did you do the quad beam mod? I love it

I was planning to. But i live in the city. And everybody is picky about it. :mad: I wouldnt mind doing it though.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
kjkim93 said:
I was planning to. But i live in the city. And everybody is picky about it. :mad: I wouldnt mind doing it though.

The quadbeam mod just keeps your low beams on when you switch to high beam, so you have all 4 lights on. On low beam you would have just the two. My theory is no one should ever see the quad beam mod, cause if you have the highs on when people are coming you are asking for trouble anyways. They might not help much if you live in a city since you might not use the highs much, but on back roads they are great

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
SBUBandit said:

I did the cap mod when I put my HIDs in but never had a diode handy. Got one there now so I just have to throw that in when I get a chance.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
VVME 6000Ks in the lows and fogs. (stock highs since I never use them) They used to appear more blue when they were new, have had them for a couple years. Dunno if I've just gotten used to them. The LEDs in the parking lights appear slightly more blue than the HIDs in person.

Attachments

• IMAG0253 cropped.jpg
    IMAG0253 cropped.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0252 cropped.jpg
    IMAG0252 cropped.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Blckshdw said:
VVME 6000Ks in the lows and fogs. (stock highs since I never use them) They used to appear more blue when they were new, have had them for a couple years. Dunno if I've just gotten used to them. The LEDs in the parking lights appear slightly more blue than the HIDs in person.

<3 Your trailblazer!

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
my TB has the Silverstars (hi/lo) which may be equal to 4000k? my Audi had 4300k but switched to 5000k for hi/lo/fog...made a world of difference

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online