Hi from the Netherlands!

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Hi all,

My name is Eelco and I live in the Netherlands, Europe.

My love for USA cars started with a simple 1991 Chevrolet Corsica liftback with the 2.2 automatic. After that, a 1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic was next. Car had THE best seats I have ever sat in. Then, a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS with the HPP option came along. After that, a 1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature Touring Sedan was my dream ride.

But, since I drove all of these cars on a daily basis, I figured that I needed a more pratical ride, with towing option, roof rack and foldable rear seats. The Town Car was sold to an enthusiast and I narrowed my search for a new orde down to three cars. A Cadillac SRX, a Chrysler Pacifica en last but not least, a TrailBlazer. In Europe, we have plenty of US cars to choose from, but not as many as in the States of course.

In The Netherlands, there are a total of 97 TrailBlazer registered. As much as I wanted a V8 again, there are no SS versions registered unfortunately here.

The Cadillac was too cramped on the inside, had rust on the hood, as all of them do, but it drove fine. This was the V6 version.
The Pacifica, also with a V6, driver very nice, had good front seats, but the third row seating was for lilliput people only, as you can not sit in a normal way back there. And to buy a big car like that with only 2+2 seating, was not my intention. Then, the TrailBlazer came along. Everything felt familiar from the moment I sat in the car for the first time. Even the cruise control stalk looked indentical to the one in the Caprice. There were a few for sale, but only a few LTZ versions. I liked the leather seats and the fact that this one had a factory moon roof.

hdr_1392937555572_zpsa2f01f71.jpg

The car has 59.000 miles on it so far. It came with an extensive service record that I still have to go through.

As much as the previous owner did look after the mechanics of the car, the appearance of the car failed to receive the TLC a car has to have to retain its good looks. The moment I got the car, I had it detailed and polished. After that, there are still some flaws here and there from some deep little scratches, two minor dents in the hood and the rear bumper which was resprayed at some point, but the clear coat turned a bit milky and now there is a small difference in color with the rest.

hdr_1392937633483_zps8f268899.jpg

Engine bay is dirty and needs a good cleaning. Car came with just one key and an aftermarket alarm (GT 944 from Getronics srl. including an immobilizer) that irritates the crap of me. When you press the arm button, all doors lock except the drivers door. Same when unlocking. The original fobs are not there anymore. I am thinking of having the whole system removed and to just buy a set of new fobs from Ebay and program them myself via the owners manual.

hdr_1392937456789_zpsfe13dc45.jpg

I did order some stuff from Ebay to have the car completed. Beside the translated Dutch owners manual that came with it, I bought an original US one. Also, I've ordered an extra key as I only got the one that came with the car. Furthermore, I bought a fuel cap with lock. (who delivers a new car with a non-lockable fuel cap in 2003????) I have replaced the ugly European spec tail lights with the original US style lamps. One of the back up lights I have altered to function as a rear fog light. Mandatory on cars after 1998 in EU. Also OEM mudflaps, all around, are mounted.

View attachment 33536

2014-02-23-21-52-18_zpsa1d6ee4b.jpg

Also replaced the tail gate shocks, as they were at the end of their life cycle. The original antenna was stored safely and replaced by a short rubber 13" antenna. Bought some vent shades as well for the front doors.

2014-02-23-21-53-58_zps3728d02f.jpg

The car is all black now and I am kinda hesitating on going chrome on her. Grille, mirror covers, pillar covers etc. Maybe later on. Also a push bar is high on my list, but as this has to come from the USA, it is costly and is a long term wannahave.

I will have to refurbish the wheels, as they are corroded and repainted badly.

The car came with the Bose system, which is good for now, but I want a 1DIN Nav system in it somewhere in April of May. I have to buy the wiring harness from Metra including the bose system adaption, chime function, SWC and rear audio controls.

My car was imported in 2007 from Canada and has the DRL I guess, or at least, what looks like it. It does come on at dusk or at night. Which to my opinion is more of an auto headlight function. But when you put the car in D, they pop on sometimes, on the front and at the back as well, together with the dash lights during the day when everyting is sunny. The switch is also different from cars that did not come with it. It also includes the button for the rear fog light.

2014-02-23-21-45-12_zps1906646a.jpg

Windows don't have the dark tint that US cars have. Do want them tough, so considering tint in the rear. But first need to replace the rear glass, as the window defroster only works on the top half of the glass.

The leather is good, not torn or cracked, just minor wear marks on the drivers' seat.

The chassis had surface rust, but I treated all of that with Dinitrol Ml, which is awesome stuff. Still have to put a top coat on it though of Dinitrol Metallic.

Oh, and I did have some classic US cars as hobby cars as well. A 1970 Buick Riviera that I had restored and a 1977 Mercury grand Marquis from its first owner in Canada, in mint condition. They are all gone now and the only classic I drive now is a 1968 Renault 4. I have very fond childhood memories of that car and had to have one. It is being restored at this moment. (chassis and floor pans)

Gas prices here are absurd and besides that, you are paying road tax, based upon type of fuel and weight of the car…….so beside the 14,7 miles per gallon (is this really bad or is it just me?) it drives at this moment with a fuel price of 8.70 USD per gallon, I have to pay road tax of 153,- USD a month. I drive around a 1000 miles a month to commute to my work. Well, the love for these cars cannot be expressed by an amount, so to hell with it.

This June, I will take the car to the south of Italy, Lake Garda for a holiday and will have the tranny oil and filter replaced and engine oil and filter replaced before that.

A few questions I do have already, I will put them in the correct topic.

- Opening tailgate does not switch courtesy lights on, glass part does.
- The uncertainty if my car just has Autolights or also DRL.
- Only bottom half of rear defroster works. Still have to figure out if this is a bad connection or not.

Oh, and I just did as small mod to the front.
I had some leftover headlight tint film lying around and blacked out the bowtie emblem in the grille.

Makes it look way better imho.

Not too flashy, but still there.

20140316_170733_zps32d25554.jpg

20140316_170728_zpsdc2a1b54.jpg

20140316_170719_zpsaed39d1d.jpg

Hope to learn one or two things at this forum.

Regards,

Eelco

Attachments

• 1904168_733036966741559_875239256_n.jpg
    1904168_733036966741559_875239256_n.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 27

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Welcome! Nice ride! That's a lot of $$$ to pay to drive! :yikes: Priorities right?

My auto headlights come on up front in the daylight only when gear is out of Park, shifting to drive etc. Otherwise the front and back will turn on automatically in the garage, in a tunnel, or a cloudy day. Or if I use the switch.

Check the connection of each line with a meter or visually inspect to see if any of you defroster lines has worn. There are cheap do-it-yourself repair kits available.

Look forward to :pictures: of the TB in Italy :biggrin:

Edit: Cut the resonator off. That can hanging out the back :thumbsup:

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Thanks for your reply! Will deleting the resonator not make the car loud? and create backfires when letting go of the throttle?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Not at all. I was one to keep it on much longer than necessary. You may want to have a pipe extend out from under the body. Some hack it and leave it.

May notice a little more drone at highway speeds if your hearing is great. If that is original, it may be rattling now or soon anyways.

Does absolutely nothing for backpressure or creating a backfire.

The search function is your friend :2thumbsup:

Edit: meant to ask if you can explain the EU law on rear fog lights? :confused:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Chevy4ever said:
Thanks for your reply! Will deleting the resonator not make the car loud? and create backfires when letting go of the throttle?

Welcome to the Nation!

Here is a lil backstory on how this place came to be.

http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

As for removing the Resonator, it doesn't really affect overall sound output unless you change the muffler as well. Most of the ones with them gone mention it is a slight bit louder then stock but nothing obnoxious.

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Playsinsnow said:
Not at all. I was one to keep it on much longer than necessary. You may want to have a pipe extend out from under the body. Some hack it and leave it.

May notice a little more drone at highway speeds if your hearing is great. If that is original, it may be rattling now or soon anyways.

Does absolutely nothing for backpressure or creating a backfire.

The search function is your friend :2thumbsup:

Every car in the EU, from that date, either manufatured within the EU or imported into the EU, with a contruction date of 1998 or younger , has to have 1 working rear fog light. It can be on the left, right or in the middle, but it has to produce around 21W light output. It is also mandatory to have a switch on your dash, that is illuminated when the light is engaged. This results many times, especially on an USA car, in an ugly fog light hanging from the rear bumper. Luckily, I could make this simple adjustment without ruining the original appearance of the car.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Welcome to the Nation. Nice pictures!

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
Welcome Eelco! Glad you came over here. I know you'll be much happier, and look at the replies already :thumbsup:

Like I told you at voy, you're going to love it over here... I hope you do.

Welcome to the Nation!!!!

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Absolutely! Thanks for the tip!

Will post my tech questions shortly! :thumbsup:

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Playsinsnow said:

My 2004 Saab 9-3 had a rear fog light.

If you've ever driven behind a (usually European) vehicle that seemed to have one "extra-bright" brake light, that was most likely the rear fog light. They're used to make your vehicle more visible in inclement weather.

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Indeed, and the annoying thing is, you are only allowed to use it when visibility is less the 80 Feet. And a lot of people us them already when you can still see a mile away. On new cars, sometimes cars have two fog lights, and you can easily mistaken them for brake lights.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Welcome

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Welcome to the Nation! :thumbsup: Glad to see you made it over. TB looks great.

I second Plays suggestion for cutting off the resonator :yes:

$8.70 per gallon is very expensive. I thought $3.85 wad bad, but I guess I cannot complain. Is most of your driving highway or city or a mixture? 14.7 mpg is not too bad. I have only been averaging about 15.3 mpg this winter.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Welcome!!

Nice shine on your truck.
I have to ask what you have done with the turn signals in the rear, sure you are not allowed to have red turnsignal i NL?.

By the way, rear foglight is not mandatory in Sweden the same way as it is in central Europe on older and imported cars.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Chevy4ever said:
I have replaced the ugly European spec tail lights with the original US style lamps. One of the back up lights I have altered to function as a rear fog light.

I tried to replace my US tails with the European tails, but those things are impossible to find. I wanted amber turn signals so I put amber bulbs in the back up lights with a simple circuit to allow them to function as turn and reverse lights. This was before I got all clear tails with dual color LED bulbs.

Windows don't have the dark tint that US cars have. Do want them tough, so considering tint in the rear.

Fishbowl LTZ! :eek:

Welcome!

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Harpo said:
Welcome!!

Nice shine on your truck.
I have to ask what you have done with the turn signals in the rear, sure you are not allowed to have red turnsignal i NL?.

By the way, rear foglight is not mandatory in Sweden the same way as it is in central Europe on older and imported cars.

Yes, in NL we are allowed to have red turnsignals as long as it concerns a car that originally came from the factory with red turn signals. So for that matter, only US manufactured cars, or cars that were adapted for the US market.
My TB has the middle bulb as turnsignal and the upper as driving light and brake light, is that original?

- - - Updated - - -

DJones said:
I tried to replace my US tails with the European tails, but those things are impossible to find. I wanted amber turn signals so I put amber bulbs in the back up lights with a simple circuit to allow them to function as turn and reverse lights. This was before I got all clear tails with dual color LED bulbs.

Fishbowl LTZ! :eek:

Welcome!

I had the car professionally polished and waxed.

About the tails: Well, maybe I'm gonna sell mine. They are in great shape, but I do not like them. When I drive US, it has to be US spec.

Before:
View attachment 33558
After:
View attachment 33559

Attachments

• 1898115_713549582023631_391638159_n.jpg
    1898115_713549582023631_391638159_n.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20140321_110348.jpg
    IMG_20140321_110348.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 9

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
jrSS said:
Congrats. . And welcome to the site. .. now sell me your headlights.

Are these different?
Only thing they have done when it was imported and road approved, was that the amber parking lights were disconnected. They are only turn signals now. You can have them both on, but then it has to be white light on both. Still with me? :biggrin:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Are the headlight corners amber or clear?? Look clear to me. Like the one in the pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395404358181.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395404358181.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 8

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Yes, they are clear. I have an amber bulb in it and will soon replace it with an amber LED.

But, in a couple of months, I'm thinking of getting new headlights anyway. Like the orange look better. The whoel part lights up when it is orange. With the clear one it is not. I will keep it with stock look, no halo, projector and LED for me.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
He's got the Eurostyle assymetric lights that goes up on the right side.
Most of you don't like that.

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
You mean the pattern it produces?

The cut off it produces is rather very sharp. In my Town Car and Grand Marquis, as well as in my Caprice, they all had a pattern that went everywhere, except for on the road. The cut off in my lights are similair to that of a projector beam (at least, how those are used over here)
Indeed, going up slightly in the right hand corner, to illuminate the side of the raod more and make signs more visible.

Good thing you've mentioned that this is a typical euro thing. I've reckoned all TB head lights were the same. Makes me kinda hesitant to order them from Ebay now.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Haha. ...I had some halos from fleabay I bought and thought something was wrong with them. Long story short they got trashed because i didn't realize the Europeans were obsessed with watching signs.... and the halos projectors are European and doesn't state so. Oh well lesson learned

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
aren't all projector headlights with that sweep to the top right corner?

Too Fast

Jan 28, 2014
Chevy4ever said:
Are these different?
Only thing they have done when it was imported and road approved, was that the amber parking lights were disconnected. They are only turn signals now. You can have them both on, but then it has to be white light on both. Still with me? :biggrin:

So the parking lights over there can't be amber?

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
No,no amber parking lights.
Sucks because it's much better looking.:frown:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome to the Nation!!!

Too Fast

Jan 28, 2014
Harpo said:
No,no amber parking lights.
Sucks because it's much better looking.:frown:

Yes that's what I've always thought. I see European cars around here a lot, and see some dim bulb working inside a headlight as a parking lamp. Looks stupid, like the headlight is almost burned out. The dim bulb is usually a 194 or a 168 part number, so now I know why.

It's also kinda dumb to see people have their rear fog lamp on, looks like a single brake light, some cars have 2. I used to think it was a wiring problem with those cars, but I figured out what it is about 15 years ago. Makes sense if you are really in foggy conditions.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
The worst rear foglights of all is on some older cars. If the driver forgot to turn their foglights of at night is that there was some cars that turned off the fogs when they had the highbeams on and turned them on again when the lowbeams are on.

Talk about some panic braking on the highway at night.

Too Fast

Jan 28, 2014
^^^yep I can see that.

However, you European drivers are so much better then us 'mericans, I can't see how any over there would do such a thing. You must be speaking hypothetically lol.

Chevy4ever

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Well, if there is one country I drive the most relaxed, it would be in the US. The tolerancy between drivers that I have experienced when visiting California and surrounding states, is such a welcome change compared to the intolerant European driving attitude. There is a lot of road rage here, roads are crowded, narrow, people don't use indicators, cut each other off, don't let people pass, don't let each other enter or leave the highway, speed controls around every corner including specific stretches of road where they measure you average speed between pioint a and point b, etc. etc.

That is why I drive a TB now, so I have enought steel around me to get me through all of that :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak