Help with switch?

Ghost

Original poster
Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Ok i doubt my truck has the capability of 4x4 but anyways i have this port here with this wire harness and plug.
Here's what it looks like:
2012-08-02_15-06-35_461.jpg

2012-08-02_15-07-02_763.jpg

The front of the cover has a picture of some scenery with TrailBlazer on it. yes i had drilled holes in i was in a hole drilling mood :smile:)


here's what i am finding on eBay is this the correct one?:

DORMAN 901-064 Switch, Four Wheel Drive | eBay

So what is this switch called and help me find the right one please?
 

Wooluf1952

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,663
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I have to ask: Are you trying to fool people into thinking you have four wheel drive?

That would be a good spot for a trans temp or real oil pressure gauge.
 

Ghost

Original poster
Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Wooluf1952 said:
I have to ask: Are you trying to fool people into thinking you have four wheel drive?

That would be a good spot for a trans temp or real oil pressure gauge.

haha! na just would feel better if there was something there other than a silly cover with a scenery and since it has holes in it i might as well put something in its place.
IS there inexpensive kits to install those other types your talking about?
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,691
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, I have that same connector behind my panel too, but 2WD for me... :frown:

Wooluf1952 said:
...That would be a good spot for a trans temp or real oil pressure gauge.

Also a good spot for the control buttons for a DIC cluster upgrade so you don't have to replace your steering wheel :biggrin: :thumbsup:

100_0761.jpg


100_0765.jpg
 

Ghost

Original poster
Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Blckshdw said:
Yeah, I have that same connector behind my panel too, but 2WD for me... :frown:



Also a good spot for the control buttons for a DIC cluster upgrade so you don't have to replace your steering wheel :biggrin: :thumbsup:

100_0761.jpg


100_0765.jpg

oh my!:crazy::undecided::yes: love the blue cluster and buttons but i think I'd benefit more from a VOLT meter or something useful i don't use the Stereo much only when i am not on VHF or UHF rag chewing.:cool:

However i do have a question about that cluster. how did you get one with telling you MPG or oil life etc etc..? is it just plug and play?
I really like this: View attachment 22123
 

Attachments

  • $(KGrHqJ,!owE-vMShcI9BP4VJb2rGg~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqJ,!owE-vMShcI9BP4VJb2rGg~~60_12.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 107

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,691
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The DIC clusters are plug and play, although you will have to get the mileage reprogrammed to match the mileage of your original one. It's kinda pricey, found a local speedometer repair place here did it for $125. Bought the cluster used off Ebay for $60 at the time. The RPO code is U68 IIRC :undecided: If you don't switch out your steering wheel for one with the DIC control buttons and clockspring, you'll have to make your own control buttons like I did.

Edit:

[EBAY]170835712688[/EBAY][EBAY]120933090023[/EBAY][EBAY]200723641462[/EBAY]
 

Ghost

Original poster
Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Alright back on topic...anyone know what the plug is for in my photos ?
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
It is for the 4x4 switch I'm about positive. They used the same harness in the truck, 4x4 or not. That's also why all our fuse boxes are full even though we don't have every possible option on our trucks.

Plugging in a 4x4 switch won't do anything without also getting the entire 4x4 drivetrain and programming your computer for 4x4 and... yeah, if you want 4x4 just buy a 4x4 equipped truck :tongue:

Our trucks already have a volt meter in the dash, granted it is a little lazy and not precise but we have one that actually does work (unlike the oil pressure "gauge" :crazy:). If I was to put a gauge there I'd put a trans temp or a real oil PSI gauge in.
 

Ghost

Original poster
Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Sparky said:
It is for the 4x4 switch I'm about positive. They used the same harness in the truck, 4x4 or not. That's also why all our fuse boxes are full even though we don't have every possible option on our trucks.

Plugging in a 4x4 switch won't do anything without also getting the entire 4x4 drivetrain and programming your computer for 4x4 and... yeah, if you want 4x4 just buy a 4x4 equipped truck :tongue:

Our trucks already have a volt meter in the dash, granted it is a little lazy and not precise but we have one that actually does work (unlike the oil pressure "gauge" :crazy:). If I was to put a gauge there I'd put a trans temp or a real oil PSI gauge in.

Thanks Sparky. I'll start looking around for a trans temp gauge hope it isn't a total pita to install:thumbup:
I like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVO-VOLT-Gauge-Prosport-Gauges-Green-and-White-52mm-2-1-16-216EVOWGVO-/200799859416 even tho its a voltage gauge I operate several radios so its key important I know what my battery is at.
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,691
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you're willing to drop $65 on a single gauge, you might as well spend the extra money on something like a Scangauge II and have almost every gauge you would need, plus the ability to read/clear trouble codes when your check engine light comes on. :twocents:

Edit: You can also change the display to a bunch of different colors :cool:

[EBAY]290755083640[/EBAY]
 

Ghost

Original poster
Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Blckshdw said:
If you're willing to drop $65 on a single gauge, you might as well spend the extra money on something like a Scangauge II and have almost every gauge you would need, plus the ability to read/clear trouble codes when your check engine light comes on. :twocents:

Edit: You can also change the display to a bunch of different colors :cool:

[EBAY]290755083640[/EBAY]

Hi. Your right. I dig the scangauge ! Haven't bought one just yet. I did just buy a 60mm volt gauge for 10$ at the local swapmeet it isn't no aem or brand name but it'll work for now. Just have to find time to install it I am procrastinator lol I think most hams are :banghead:
 

Ghost

Original poster
Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
$9 gauge from eBay.
aefe45cb-2a53-828c.jpg

aefe45cb-2a60-88f6.jpg

Wired to the dim switch as well. My only complaint is it says 12v when really truck is running its 14.8vcd. Maybe thats the down side of a cheap gauge. But I am totally digging it.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
Probably because most people are dummies and think their vehicle runs at 12V at all times :tongue:
 

Ghost

Original poster
Member
Jun 1, 2012
932
Sparky said:
Probably because most people are dummies and think their vehicle runs at 12V at all times :tongue:

Tmrw ill take the gauge apart. See why its reading 12 which is inaccurate
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,388
Posts
638,719
Members
18,596
Latest member
david herman

Members Online