Help adding satellite radio to my 02 TBlazer LTZ

AppleJack

Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Hello All,
What would I have to do to get sat radio for my truck? Going with a GM deck would be preferable, but the bottom line is I'd like to upgrade to something capable of receiving siriusxm. Thanks in advance...

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
2 options. Change out the HU and/or entire system with something that has Sirius in it.

Or, do what I did and put in a hardwired FM modulator and Sirius "portable" receiver. The modulator runs through an FM channel but is fed directly through the HU so there's no interference and the receiver just mount beside it.

20150909_075445_zpsqwh6k325.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I changed your thread title to better reflect the topic. :tiphat:

Would this be work that you'd be doing yourself? Or taking your truck to a shop and having them do it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It wasn't until 2 or 3 years later that the ability to add XM radio came along but 02 was a bastard year and later years are not compatible, especially with the Bose amp. Your options are pretty limited.

Matt's is the easiest and cheapest but you'll have an separate tuner and the sound quality from the FM modulator may or may not be good.

The other would be a new HU with a SiriusXM module. This will be quite an expense as you have the cost of the HU itself, the interface to the truck's wiring and amp and the SisiusXM module/tuner. It will be the cleanest install with full integration into the HU.

AppleJack

Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
No problem Black Shadow - whatever it takes to get some good advice here!

As far as hanging a new unit myself. I'm pretty capable with electronics tech. Fabbed up prototype wiring harnesses for Deere back when I was still working (retired now)

What exactly were you thinking? I'm open to a challenge (and saving some $$$)

Can you recommend some double din HU's that would be acceptable. Aren't the interface cables, etc. readily available these days?

How much is quite an expense?

Thanks...

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'd suggest checking out Crutchfield.com. You can put in your vehicle info and then filter the HU results for what you're wanting, I. E. Bluetooth, XM, DVD, usb port, aux port, etc.

They also knock off some of the price on the harness if you get a radio over $120 which I'd bet all double dins are.

Cheapest way would probably be Matt's second suggestion though if you could get the modulator wired in.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Mounce said:
Cheapest way would probably be Matt's second suggestion though if you could get the modulator wired in.
The modulator is the easy part. It's like an antenna double adapter. Take the antenna lead out of the back of the HU, plug in mod, plug antenna into one of the "holes" and the Sirius plug into the other...done.

I got my bits and pieces here: http://www.tss-radio.com/

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Mounce said:
Like such, huh?

http://mobile.tss-radio.com/#/product/fm-direct-adapter-fmda25

By hardwired I thought you meant it was a wire tracing/splicing kind of job, not just pnp.

IIRC it 's this one: http://www.tss-radio.com/installation-accessories/vehicle-installation-accessories/fm-antenna-adapters/fm-direct-adapter-fmda25.html

PnP made it easy and it's what they call hardwired. The other type is broadcasting a signal to your radio and that's when you can get the interference...hardest part was getting the radio out and hiding the wires.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
Matt said:
IIRC it 's this one: http://www.tss-radio.com/installation-accessories/vehicle-installation-accessories/fm-antenna-adapters/fm-direct-adapter-fmda25.html

PnP made it easy and it's what they call hardwired. The other type is broadcasting a signal to your radio and that's when you can get the interference...hardest part was getting the radio out and hiding the wires.
could this also be used for say a iphone hook up or "aux" hook up trying to hook up a laptop to my work bucket truck

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Reactions: Black_tb

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online