headlight/wiring a mess

rob2003envoy

Original poster
Jun 4, 2023
Nashville,TN
i bought an 2003 gmc envoy. this truck has become my baby,and its basically all i got.im not very well off according to a poor man's mentality.but im pretty swift when it comes to learning,following directions,and so forth.i catch on fast.but to make a long story longer,when i finally got under my hood it was a mess.wires EVERYWHERE. even got headlights wired up with speaker wires.i bought a year worth of alldata to try to help me remedy this problem,but that was just another problem because i never learnt how to read wiring diagrams. could anybody walk me thru re-wiring my headlights and other lights? when i try to use a blinker,my hazrds come on. pretty messy situation.thanks in advance

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome. You've come to the right place. Lots of knowledge and ways to save some money.

If the wiring is that much of a mess, it might be worth it to try and find a complete wiring harness at a pick-n-pull yard. If the wiring harness is a mess, who knows if anything else was buggered up. I'd also check the fuse box. I'm thinking that the headlight relay/module was defective and the PO just ghetto fixed it. Another possibility is a broken trace in the fuse box.

Another thing to check is the wiring inside the headlight pods themselves. Often times they can burn up, especially if higher wattage bulbs were used.

BTW, you didn't have to buy a sub at AllData as we have free manuals here.
Need service manuals? Get them here!

And there is also the FAQs. Lots of info there as well.

FAQ Threads

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

"How to Read and Interpret Automotive Wiring Diagrams"

The Electrical Diagram Training Play List:

Last edited:
Reactions: christo829

Forum Statistics