Haynes Manual Worth It?

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Long, long ago, in a '77 Ford F150 far, far away, I learned of an invaluable tool in learning how certain systems worked. It was the Haynes manual. Along with maintenance and service procedures, it had diagrams for each system. I ended up getting manuals for my 85 F150, 83 Mazda B2000, 86 Nissan 720 and 91 Nissan Hardbody. Granted, each one of these is a pre-computers vehicle. Then I got one for a 2010 Kia Sedona and it lacked the system diagrams. I got one for my 99 GMC Jimmy and my 2002 Mercury Sable and while they had some diagrams, both lacked detailed wiring diagrams and focused mostly on standard DIY maintenance. I never really needed to use the one for the Jimmy and only used the Sable one when I had to swap the water pump. So now, as I am trying to figure out how the venting system for my AC works, I find myself wondering,

TL;DR

Is the Haynes Manual for the Trailblazer/Envoy worth getting?

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I wouldn't recommend it. As far as troubleshooting goes on these machines you have got more than enough material from the service manuals included in @Mooseman signature which also includes a wiring diagram. If you have something you can't figure out just hit the forum and you'll get more than enough to keep your truck running smoothly 👍🏻

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Another suggestion is check if your library has one. Free to use and you can research further to see if it would be valuable to you. My library carries the Haynes manual.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't bother. The net has made them unneeded. You could could fix just about anything using Youtube.

Oh, manuals are also available in my signature as mentionned.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'll play devil's advocate here, as I sometimes like a paper reference I can carry around, and not worry about getting all greasy (like a smartphone or tablet or laptop - that's one reason you never see me taking many pictures when I'm working on one of my vehicles)

So...if I were the OP...and I had done due diligence as far as seeing what was *in* the book I wanted (many times, you can preview them on Amazon, for example) - I could see getting a printed version, if that's what you're comfortable with. (on edit; forgot to mention - sometimes an alternative perspective on 'how' to do something can prove valuable)

I like printed service manuals (although I've said before, I dislike GM's, from this period.) The GM versions also tend to be very costly on the secondary market, as they're so big / many volumes.

I actually have a set for the GMT-360's that I got from another GMTN member a year or so ago. But I'll tell you a secret - they're still sitting in the unopened cartons they were shipped in. That's how ubiquitous online resources have become - between here and YT, I get 90% of what I need. And my .pdf copies are available, if I want to look something up (I have a couple; one is searchable by word, which is awesome) :celebrate:

There've been a couple of times I thought about going and finding those bound copies of the service manuals, and digging them out of the boxes (sometimes, the .pdf versions can be hard to search.) But I haven't done it, yet.

(anyone want a used set of printed service manuals, cheap? I can ship 'em quick...) :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Thanks guys.

My only real issue with things on the net is that sometimes it can be hit and miss for what you were looking for. For example, when I was trying to figure out the wiring for the Rear/Aux HVAC system, I had to go through and dismiss diagram after diagram of front HVAC systems, HVAC systems for other vehicles and even entertainment system wiring diagrams before I finally found a wiring diagram for an 02. I haven't done a search for the Venting System to see how the airflow goes through the HVAC, yet, because I didn't think that would be something enough people look at to make a diagram for. If I can't get it figured out, I will eventually ask about it and that brings me to why I used to like having Haynes manuals.

I have always preferred doing the investigating and figuring out things myself and only resort to asking when I hit a wall. Plus, I hate having my phone on me when I am working on a vehicle and hardcopy makes things easier to navigate. No having to grab the phone, wake it back up, insert my security code and trying to browse for things with gritty/oily fingers.

Still, I will check my local library and see if they have a copy to see if it has what I am lokking for.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or using my manuals, just print the required pages and then toss them after getting them all greasy. And one thing that may manuals are better than pretty much all others, including GM SI is that wiring schematics are colour.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I keep a hayes manual in the truck in case ever needed out in the wilderness. Just one of those things that is nice to have and not need

Reactions: djthumper

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If I can find it, I have a GMT360 Haynes if someone wants it... if I ever find it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online