Had it with "One Car Too Far"

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
So I set the DVR before I went to Korea and finally got to look into the series some more.

What an whiner driver Bill Wu is. :wallbash: I'm embarrassed to be in San Diego with him.

Way too hard on the throttle over boulders. No respect for the Jeep that he KNOWS he can trash. The disclaimer at the beginning even says the producers help them out when they break their junk.

Special Forces Daniel Craig look-alike Gary Humphrey is competent and not so annoying. He does the heavy lifting and rock stacking and spotting while Bill stays in the Jeep and drives. If Bill was any good, HE'D be doing the spotting. I expect he's some sort of trust fund baby, because there's NO WAY a former chiropractor owns the stable of ten vehicles he does: Bill Wu of Discovery Channel's "One Car Too Far" Celebrity Drive - Motor Trend

But I shut the show off and erased the stored episodes when they had a misfire in the Andes, Bill finds the spark jumping to ground from a damaged plug wire. He has duct tape because we see him use it. He has fuel line. They have a hundred ways to keep the damaged plug wire away from ground.

So what's his repair tactic? TO CUT 4" OUT OF THE PLUG WIRE, then splice in a 4" length of whittled stick, still alive and wet down the center, using short lengths of fuel line and duct tape to hold it together! Gary asks what happens if the stick dries out and Bill says they'll just put in another.

1) No discussion about just using the duct tape to improve the insulation.

2) No discussion about using a cut-open piece of fuel line as insulation.

3) No discussion about salvaging real WIRE from the ten year old vehicle that's going to be discarded at the end of the project.

When I described the scenario to Mrs. Roadie, she INSTANTLY said - they're not needing the BRAKE LIGHT wiring - salvage that!

If they make shit like this up to show contrived fixes instead of more obvious and optimum ones, I have no respect any more and Discovery should be pleased they only have five episodes scheduled.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yep. Most offroad forums and local groups I know only watch it to make fun of it. It is a complete joke and will only damage the offroad community. Hopefully they do not continue this show.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I saw that twig trick while surfing up the channel chain.

thought it was the dumbest demo of conductivity of damp wood I have ever seen. thought for a minute he was on the wrong show and roasting it to eat the stick.

:crazy:

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
the roadie said:
I went to Korea

side note. would you happen to still be here? I'm right outside of Seoul and if you are we should grab a beer.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
GCTB1289 said:
side note. would you happen to still be here? I'm right outside of Seoul and if you are we should grab a beer.
Aw, man. Not anymore. I was there from Labor Day to the 8th. Third trip this year. Might be back in 8-10 weeks. My customer is in Suwon, so I might visit our office in Seoul for one day, but most of the time I'm in Suwon.

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
the roadie said:
Aw, man. Not anymore. I was there from Labor Day to the 8th. Third trip this year. Might be back in 8-10 weeks. My customer is in Suwon, so I might visit our office in Seoul for one day, but most of the time I'm in Suwon.

O ok. I'm not far from Suwon. I'm actually in Seongnam on the outskirts of Seoul. Suwon is only about 45 minutes from me. Leave here in February and head to NY after this assignment. At least you don't have to live here :rotfl:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
I didn't make it 10 minutes before I skipped out on this one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online