Grille Emblem removal...Yes i'm that stupid lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I can't figure out how to get this darned emblem off. The "red" letters are individual letters and I can't get them out of the silver housing. Do I remove the entire silver housing with the red letters? Or is there a way to just get the letters out?

IMG_20120301_105208.jpg

IMG_20120301_105157.jpg

BeMyWheels

Dec 14, 2011
The red letters and chrome border are one piece and have screws sticking out the back towards the radiator. On the back side they are fastened on with nuts to the back side of the grille so you would have to remove the grille assembly in order to get to the nuts.

Source: Personal experience when installing my Denali grille.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Remove it from the grill first and then try to slowly pry the red portion out. You may want to search the local salvage yards and experiment on another one, that way you don't break yours. It does look to be a bit fragile.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
the roadie said:
I bet it's double-stick tape or glue holding them in. Try a hair dryer to loosen it up.

:iagree:

Or a heat gun - but not too close...

Then use fishing line to "saw" the red doohickies off.

Clean the glue residue off with acetone and a clean rag.

Wash and polish to make pretty.

:thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Well, I figured out on my own lol that I need to take the grille assy off to get to the back which BeMyWheels had posted. I got the tabs out fortunately without breaking any, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to detach the bottom part. I'm going to be painting the whole grille anyways including the chrome to black it all out, so it needs to come off anyways.

Are there bolts holding the bottom on. I searched and some of the posts on the OS said to lift and pull...but I don't want to break the grille as it's cheap plastic.

George

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
Well, I figured out on my own lol that I need to take the grille assy off to get to the back which BeMyWheels had posted. I got the tabs out fortunately without breaking any, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to detach the bottom part. I'm going to be painting the whole grille anyways including the chrome to black it all out, so it needs to come off anyways.

Are there bolts holding the bottom on. I searched and some of the posts on the OS said to lift and pull...but I don't want to break the grille as it's cheap plastic.

Grillcraft® - Genuine Sport Grilles - Installs :biggrin:

BeMyWheels

Dec 14, 2011
Voymom said:

See the two tabs at the bottom?

Link

They just stick into the frame and are not bolted down or anything like that. Just wiggle the two tabs a little and they should come out. The hardest part is getting the clamp tabs out which you already did.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
George said:

I located what I think are the lower tabs, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them out. Their metal pieces slid into plastic :crazy: I have tried everything and they just won't budge. I'm ready to just spray paint the whole friggin truck if I have too lol

I've been at this for 2hrs and can't get the bottom loose. A few busted knuckles and i'm ready for a beer. I have to watch how much force I use as i'm restricted on lifting for 30 days. Luckily my kids have a half day of school today and no school tomorrow, but this is just pissing me off lol I plan on tinting my heads and tails....but I don't think those will get done this week if I can't pop this grille assy off.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
BeMyWheels said:
See the two tabs at the bottom?

Link

They just stick into the frame and are not bolted down or anything like that. Just wiggle the two tabs a little and they should come out. The hardest part is getting the clamp tabs out which you already did.

Yes those are the tabs that I am trying to get loose. Mine are slid into some plastic housing. I cant get them out. I even tried using pliers to push the tabs upwards and tried pulling them out a bit and lifting at the same time and won't budge :no:

George

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
Yes those are the tabs that I am trying to get loose. Mine are slid into some plastic housing. I cant get them out. I even tried using pliers to push the tabs upwards and tried pulling them out a bit and lifting at the same time and won't budge :no:
look at my link pic#4 pull towards you and down pic#5 like a hinge :hissyfit:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
George said:
look at my link pic#4 pull towards you and down pic#5 like a hinge :hissyfit:

I got the left side out by wiggling REALLY forcefully....the right side is being a PITA but now I have to put it all back on and drive to get my kids...then do it all over again lol.

I'll get it. Thanks guys!!

George

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
I got the left side out by wiggling REALLY forcefully....the right side is being a PITA but now I have to put it all back on and drive to get my kids...then do it all over again lol.

I'll get it. Thanks guys!!
try some corn oil :rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I have everything painted and drying! Thanks everyone

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
OK, gotta ask... How the F@#% do you have time for all this with the lil ones!? I'm guessing at least one of the big 3, drugs... duct tape.... or door locks on a closet! :yes:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
OK, gotta ask... How the F@#% do you have time for all this with the lil ones!? I'm guessing at least one of the big 3, drugs... duct tape.... or door locks on a closet! :yes:

:rotfl: That's great!!! My husband is lucky enough to only work 3 days a week. I have all but 2 in school full time and the younger ones nap still. So either hubby and I are working together when kids are in school and others are napping or we take turns lol. I watch them when he needs to do something to the truck, or he is watching them while I'm doing something to the truck. Or we put them all in the fenced in backyard with our dog and let him do the baby sitting lol.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Need pics of ur emblem......I just repainted mine tonight and its already dry to the touch and on the truck.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
:iagree:
PICS OR IT DID NOT HAPPEN!....................both of you :biggrin:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
ad6cbbad-1697-45de.jpg

Shitty pic....this was why I was gonna wait tomorrow. But here ya go.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
silvernclean said:
ad6cbbad-1697-45de.jpg

Shitty pic....this was why I was gonna wait tomorrow. But here ya go.

Well Atleast now I believe it, One person here has a painted emblem lol

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Also painted my bolts for the rear handle delete. Makes a hell of a difference black. Lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I think it turned out like shit. I got clear coat on it....it was hard to tape off the emblem and when I took the paint off it started to peel on the edges. If all else fails I will just get another emblem and start all over again. I also painted my grille...not on the truck yet but will go snap a pic.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
IMG_20120301_195026.jpg

IMG_20120301_195018.jpg

IMG_20120301_195006.jpg

If the paint starts to peel and chip I may just paint the whole thing too. Or just drive the damn truck without the grille. I painted that too btw.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
silvernclean said:
It looks good. Quit ur bitchin. :thumbsup:

My husband says THANK YOU!!!! LOL

I also took the black dull crap off my pillars....did the auto fogs and quads on the lights. I tried like hell to use window tint on the heads and tails and failed miserably lol I'm to scared to niteshade them as I don't want to make them to dark or ruin them. That and I have NO patience for sanding lol I got a lot done today. Tomorrow I get to assist in my very first power steering pump repair. Mine went out this morning.

Thanks everyone! I was really nervous doing all of this stuff.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
ad6cbbad-33af-1f69.jpg
here's my tails. It wasn't that hard to do. Just 3 coats of vht and about 6 coats of clear. Actually pretty easy.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
The emblem looks great!! :thumbsup: How do the pillars look now? Got a picture?

Also if you have a junkyard by your house, head over there or keep an eye on them to see if they have an envoy. If they do see how much for there headlights so you can practice on them or even get the cheapest ugliest headlights there. Just to practice on so you have a good feel for it. IF you mess it up there cheap and who cares. Yours are fine you know :thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
silvernclean said:
ad6cbbad-33af-1f69.jpg
here's my tails. It wasn't that hard to do. Just 3 coats of vht and about 6 coats of clear. Actually pretty easy.

Do you have LED's in those??? I'd worry that I would get pulled over. Can you even see them during the day? They look fantastic but illegal :lipsrsealed:
Did you sand them?

And Sam, I don't have a picture of the pillars yet. Their still dirty and crappy because I didn't get a chance to wash the truck up. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe that will lighten the work load :biggrin:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yea you can see light thru them and no led's. I sanded the original lens 1st. Then 3 coats of vht. Then put 5 coats of clear on wet sanded with 2000 grit and let air dry then put on another clear to brighten them back up. Did not sand last coat.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
Do you have LED's in those??? I'd worry that I would get pulled over. Can you even see them during the day? They look fantastic but illegal :lipsrsealed:
Did you sand them?

And Sam, I don't have a picture of the pillars yet. Their still dirty and crappy because I didn't get a chance to wash the truck up. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe that will lighten the work load :biggrin:

Nice hope to see them and the difference with them :yes:

In case you were looking for more legal tail light shades (or a shade that makes you more comfortable) :raspberry: lol here are mine when I had only one coat of VHT on them
IMG_0162.jpg

Taillighttintwithemblem3.jpg

Taillighttintwithemblem2.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
Yea you can see light thru them and no led's. I sanded the original lens 1st. Then 3 coats of vht. Then put 5 coats of clear on wet sanded with 2000 grit and let air dry then put on another clear to brighten them back up. Did not sand last coat.

I sanded between each coat of VHT and clear lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I sanded between each coat of VHT and clear lol

NOM NOM NOM, You all are very good at feeding mod bugs :biggrin: I think I will do the VHT but 2 coats. I like Silvernclean's lights and I like Sam's so maybe an in between. What type of clear coat would you suggest me using? I bought the rustoleum in a can spray paint clear enamel lol thats what I used on my grille and emblem today.

And the VHT will have to wait until another nice day which Tuesday is supposed to be nice but hubby has to work. It's supposed to rain/snow tomorrow :frown:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
NOM NOM NOM, You all are very good at feeding mod bugs :biggrin: I think I will do the VHT but 2 coats. I like Silvernclean's lights and I like Sam's so maybe an in between. What type of clear coat would you suggest me using? I bought the rustoleum in a can spray paint clear enamel lol thats what I used on my grille and emblem today.

And the VHT will have to wait until another nice day which Tuesday is supposed to be nice but hubby has to work. It's supposed to rain/snow tomorrow :frown:

haha Oh no...looks like I am a feeder for mod bugs now :yikes: well I guess better that then feeding my own haha Yeah those work out well for clear!! Some clear coats just need another 1 or 2 coats to get glossy vs some others are heavier and get glossy in less

Oh well if you like 2 coats then here are mine right now with 2 coats :dielaugh:

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I used both. I had the rustoleum but it seemed duller than the duplicolor clear laquer (spelling??) The duplicolor seemed a bit shinier imo. And there is no rattle ball in the can. Has a clear lid.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online