Grille Emblem removal...Yes i'm that stupid lol

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I know these aren't from a GMT, but since we are on the topic of VHT...

I used it on my previous car's tails. I used around 4 coats, but they were LIGHT coats. Then I put 2-3 coats of duplicolor clear on them. The light shone through just fine and you could still see the original color of the lights as well. Now we all know how much of a cop magnet a sporty car can be :wink: but I had cops behind me on the highway on a couple occasions on the way to work and never had a spot of issue.

I have never wet sanded anything in my life and I didn't want to screw anything up, so I just left it at that. I should spray something random and practice wetsanding it at some point.

oct09back.jpg

sigh, I miss that car...

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
I used both. I had the rustoleum but it seemed duller than the duplicolor clear laquer (spelling??) The duplicolor seemed a bit shinier imo. And there is no rattle ball in the can. Has a clear lid.

I feel like the lacquer is the best one for clear!!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I've also had the cops follow behind me and nothing. So far so good!!!!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Sparky said:
sigh, I miss that car...

Its okay, you traded that bad boy for one of these monsters right? :biggrin::biggrin:

chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1_460x0w.jpg

Camaro ZR1

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
That's great to hear! I am definitely working up the nerve to do it. I just put the grille back on the truck and I see some dull spots...but I can just clear coat the whole thing some other day but other than that it looks better than I could have imagined. I'm more excited to do my lights now than before just because I know they'll look hot lol

I'd like to find a place who will do a custom grille without having to pay an arm and a leg. I LOVE stars and would like to have a grille with cut-out stars on it. But I can't find anyone willing to do it :frown: although something like that will have to wait until the truck is paid for which will hopefully be done before the new TB as I'm getting one lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
silvernclean said:
New tb huh?? NICE. Thank god am content with what I have. :biggrin:

LOL it would be for the hubby. Unless of course he can find something else that he would like. I'm in love with my truck wouldn't trade it in for the world! My husband is carless right now. I'm trying to convince him into a TB or Voy....but he wants a manual transmission car. So if I BUY the truck for him...he can't say anything lmao

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
That's great to hear! I am definitely working up the nerve to do it. I just put the grille back on the truck and I see some dull spots...but I can just clear coat the whole thing some other day but other than that it looks better than I could have imagined. I'm more excited to do my lights now than before just because I know they'll look hot lol

I'd like to find a place who will do a custom grille without having to pay an arm and a leg. I LOVE stars and would like to have a grille with cut-out stars on it. But I can't find anyone willing to do it :frown: although something like that will have to wait until the truck is paid for which will hopefully be done before the new TB as I'm getting one lol

Find someone that can do custom metal work and have a piece of stainless cut to fit over top of the stock grill. Have your stars custom cut out of that and bolt over top of the stock grill. You can even then spray the stock grill a separate color, gold maybe, and have gold stars shining through. :thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Regulator said:
Find someone that can do custom metal work and have a piece of stainless cut to fit over top of the stock grill. Have your stars custom cut out of that and bolt over top of the stock grill. You can even then spray the stock grill a separate color, gold maybe, and have gold stars shining through. :thumbsup:

That is a great idea! I would have never thought about doing that. Thank you for that idea Regulator!! :2thumbsup:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Its okay, you traded that bad boy for one of these monsters right? :biggrin::biggrin:

chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1_460x0w.jpg

Camaro ZR1 FALSE! ZL1 Edited By StltrailbSS

Sorry had to get you for that one hahahah

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Sorry had to get you for that one hahahah

I knew it was an L not an R...stupid google accepted the R when I put it trying to make sure haha Im like okay I guess Corvettes aren't the only ones getting ZR1's lol

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
If the paint starts to peel and chip I may just paint the whole thing too. Or just drive the damn truck without the grille. I painted that too btw.[/QUOTE]

What ever happened to painting the emblem green to match what you want to do with your calipers?

big ed

Nov 18, 2011
Voymom said:
I tried like hell to use window tint on the heads and tails and failed miserably lol I'm to scared to niteshade them as I don't want to make them to dark or ruin them.

try this, I used to have this on mine. completly removable just pulls off and much easier to apply.
I bought bulk sheet, cut to fit headlight, then cut 8 pattern out.

Car Stickers | Car Wrap | Carbon Fiber Vinyl

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Uncle Blazer said:
If the paint starts to peel and chip I may just paint the whole thing too. Or just drive the damn truck without the grille. I painted that too btw.

What ever happened to painting the emblem green to match what you want to do with your calipers?[/QUOTE]

It sounded better than it looked. I used a GMC cut-out of the green I wanted and taped it to the emblem and calipers and it was just I don't know, not right looking. I wasn't feeling it. I am super happy with black, and trust me I will have some unique stuff added to it...just need a bit of help from our decal guy :thumbsup:

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
What ever happened to painting the emblem green to match what you want to do with your calipers?

It sounded better than it looked. I used a GMC cut-out of the green I wanted and taped it to the emblem and calipers and it was just I don't know, not right looking. I wasn't feeling it. I am super happy with black, and trust me I will have some unique stuff added to it...just need a bit of help from our decal guy :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I think the black looks sick. There is a reason so many people black out their grills.....it looks really damn cool (especially in your case with the chrome outline)

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I painted my grille today as well. Black 2006 Envoy, you see the grille in my avatar. I just didn't like the all chrome look. I taped off the outer rim of the grille and painted the center with black Plasti Dip. And besides, I also added a bull bar today. I'll have better pics when I clean the car.

20956d1395031306t-what-did-you-do-your-gmt-today-grille_bar2.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online