Green Filter Experience

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
have nothing to gain from this, but i must promote my Green Air filter. Green is the brand...I got this as a special at Carlisle two years ago and it has preformed great with cleaning every couple oil changes. But here are some pics of how well it kept mud and water out of my motor. I swamped the truck and got a little stuck in about 3 feet of mud a couple weeks ago and finally decided to clean the filter tonight. Whoops shouls have been done right away. Found 1/4 inch thick mud caking a third of the filter and mud splattered in the gutted air box and everywhere else, but then i pulled the filter and looked inside...Not a drop of dirt inside AMAZING!!! It is as clean inside as the day I bought it. I would reccommend this product to anyone. I have always had KN, but they were always dirty inside and out, this filter outperforms anything I have ever owned.

Mud on Filter...
greenmud.jpg

Dirt after brushing off filter
greenbrushed.jpg

Mud on lid of airbox
box.jpg

Mud in Airbox
boxbottom.jpg

No dirt in intake
intake.jpg

Clean inside filter...pictured area is right behind where mud was packed in...
inside.jpg

Reactions: dmanns67 and Capote

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I am going to have to give one of those a shot. My daily driver is a Toyota pick-up. The MAF in them is super sensitive to the oil that the K&N has on them. A lot of the guys have found that the Green filter is the way to go. I may put one on the Hoe once the K&N gets dirty.:biggrin:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I want one :drooling:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
That's awesome! I have never heard of the Green Filter, but it sure looks like that thing gets the job done... Thanks for sharing!

Vicompc

Dec 5, 2011
Great filter, do you have the specs? What is the airflow compaired to the OEM filter?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I am not sure what specs you want. It is the one they carry to fit our truck.

It flows better than stock or K&N. I have played with a couple of those little testers with the airflow pushing a ping pong ball in a tube and Green flowed slightly better than K&N, but the real thing is that the Green does not let dirt through like K&N. You can see my filter is like new inside. The multiple K&N filters I have ran on different vehicles and atvs always show dirt inside where it is pulled through...which means it gets to the motor. I am confident looking at my filter that my motor is getting clean air.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
Kyle, you mentioned cleaning it.
Do you mean blowing it out/brushing it off or is it a washable filter?
I'll blow the disposable filters off until they start looking bad, just making sure I understand.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Washable. I rinse/wash it in the sink with the cleaning solution from them. Let it dry overnight and use their light oil before installing the next morning. I usually do it every 5-10 thousand miles, depending on what I have put it through.

salvo2002

Dec 5, 2011
just got mine in the mail today! :wootwoot:

thanks for the pics and write up, I was going to buy a K&N, but now I have a Green!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Unfortunately they don't make one for My SIlverado with 5.3L, though their 6.0/6.2L looks similar. I'll have to send them a email to find out if it will fit.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
When did this turn into a....this what i use thread?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
HARDTRAILZ said:
When did this turn into a....this what i use thread?

Beats me, as far as I'm concerned if it aint about green filter experiences it doesn't belong here.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
xtitan1 said:
Reviving dead thread to see if anyone has some new info on the green filters?

What info do you need? They work and work really well. I won't use anything else.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
have nothing to gain from this, but i must promote my Green Air filter.

Clean inside filter...pictured area is right behind where mud was packed in...
inside.jpg

This pic, after reading a handful of other threads about it, has me sold on the filter! :yes:

the diy tubing and Green filter are next on my list :thumbsup:
Thanks for the suggestion/review...

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

^Was just going over this, which obviously doesn't have the green filter on it, and made me skeptical of aftermarket filters in general.

I think the guys doing the test also were smart in that they had many different ways to rate how "good" a filter was:

1. How much particulate does the filter catch (how good is it at filtering out the bad stuff)
  2. How much airflow does the filter allow (the more the better)
  3. How much particulate can the filter take before it needs to be replaced?
  4. As the filter fills up with particulate, how rapidly does airflow get restricted?

ACDelco aced every one of those 4 categories vs. the aftermarket filters tested. So I guess I was just wondering if you feel confident that the green filter beats the ACDelco if it were included in that test?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
1. It is excellent. Pics I have posted have easily proven it. Also have seen mine with water on it and nothing was pulled through. Do not think a not oiled filter could do that.

2. Have seen their tests at events and seems to flow better than most.

3. If you look at what mine has been through and that it still looks new inside after 3 years of hard offroad abuse. Mud, dirt, sand, water. Pretty impressive. Can't re-use an AC Delco.

4. Only when packed with mud have I felt like it was restricted. I generally clean it every 6 months or after offroading in conditions I think may have got it really nasty.

I would have tons more money in AC Delco filters over the years. I do not think an AC Delco would have put up with what I put my Green through. I would not go any other way.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Good point about the reusability. It's is definitely a plus since you could just clean it when you're doing an oil change or something whereas you probably wouldn't be changing a disposable filter every six months.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Found these two videos on their website (Green Filter USA)

I think I'm convinced!

[video=youtube;cY7fSPvI8bY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY7fSPvI8bY[/video]
[video=youtube;d7rETWxgZ8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7rETWxgZ8U[/video]

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I will never use a K&N anything again, tried one a few years ago and honestly any air filter that allows that much dirt in doesn't belong, plain and simple.

The Green filter and the Amsoil filters are great, stock AC filter is great as well just not reusable. IMO any benefit from a K&N is negated 100 fold by the amount of dirt that enters.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
After reading this thread and seeing the results of HardTrailz off real world pictures, I think green is the way to go with intake filters. I have been using the K&N filter over two years, but I am starting to re-think that decision.

Green filter is on my list for next pay check :yes:

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Since I already put a K&N HAI on, I don't have the stock tube, just the K&N tube where the filter is held on by a clamp. Looking at the pictures, this just slides on, but would it stay on the K&N tube? I'd love to toss one of these on, but if I can't secure it, it isn't going to do much good.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Grimor said:
Since I already put a K&N HAI on, I don't have the stock tube, just the K&N tube where the filter is held on by a clamp. Looking at the pictures, this just slides on, but would it stay on the K&N tube? I'd love to toss one of these on, but if I can't secure it, it isn't going to do much good.

That is my dilemma. I guess I will have to take off the K&N and take measurements to match it up with a comparable green filter.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The Green filter is a stock replacement, so if the K&N tube is the same size as the stock tube then the green filter would fit it.

Does the filter come with a cleaning and recharge kit also or is it just the filter? I cannot find that info anywhere.

I'm still using paper filters and anyone who knows me knows I hate K&N air filters, but these look pretty darn good and I'm considering getting one for each vehicle.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
dmanns67 said:
That is my dilemma. I guess I will have to take off the K&N and take measurements to match it up with a comparable green filter.

I will most likely buy one, then glue a section of rubber tube on the inside of the filter that can slide over the K&N tube and be fastened with a clamp. This will only work if the hole is large enough of course. Can anyone get an ID measurement of their filter?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Grimor said:
I will most likely buy one, then glue a section of rubber tube on the inside of the filter that can slide over the K&N tube and be fastened with a clamp. This will only work if the hole is large enough of course. Can anyone get an ID measurement of their filter?

I am about to head home from work and was planning on getting measurements. I can post later this morning.

Sparky said:
The Green filter is a stock replacement, so if the K&N tube is the same size as the stock tube then the green filter would fit it.

Does the filter come with a cleaning and recharge kit also or is it just the filter?

It appears the cleaning solution and oil is $15.00 which looks to be not included with the filter. Here is the website, if you have not already checked it out. http://www.greenfilterusa.com/

I was actually looking at this filter and think that it might work, but I will have to confirm with the measurements from the K&N. https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/2024

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
For those of you with the K&N HAI and wanting to replace your K&N filter with a Green filter, here are the measurements of the K&N filter. Below is a diagram I pulled from Green Filter USA's website. You should be able to use the measurements to get a filter that will replace the K&N. Here is a link to their cone/cylinder filters. Green Filter USA - Cone and Cylinder Filter Search

K&N Filter Measurements
ID- 3"

H- 6 1/2"

OD-B- 6"

OD-T- 4 7/8"

View attachment 28849

This one appears to be an exact fit and not a bad price at $46.00, better than $68.00 for a stock filter.
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/2047

View attachment 28850

Attachments

• cone_filter_measurements.jpg
    cone_filter_measurements.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 2047-500x500.jpg
    2047-500x500.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 144

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
dmanns67 said:
For those of you with the K&N HAI and wanting to replace your K&N filter with a Green filter, here are the measurements of the K&N filter. Below is a diagram I pulled from Green Filter USA's website. You should be able to use the measurements to get a filter that will replace the K&N. Here is a link to their cone/cylinder filters. Green Filter USA - Cone and Cylinder Filter Search

K&N Filter Measurements
ID- 3"

H- 6 1/2"

OD-B- 6"

OD-T- 4 7/8"

This one appears to be an exact fit and not a bad price at $46.00, better than $68.00 for a stock filter.
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/2047
I would agree, that is probably the most direct replacement. another conical choice (assuming the 3" ID is the magic number)
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/universal-clamp-on-filters/2084 same price, a little longer.

About the same as the 2047
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/universal-clamp-on-filters/2354

Cheaper cylindrical ones
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/universal-clamp-on-filters/2041
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/universal-clamp-on-filters/2061
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/universal-clamp-on-filters/2099

Then a few cylindrical ones for a little more money
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/universal-clamp-on-filters/2347
https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/universal-clamp-on-filters/7079

2041 doesn't look bad for a cheap swap, I don't off road so not likely to get caked in mud.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
2041 is 2 inches shorter however. I wouldn't want to shrink my filter.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Grimor said:
(assuming the 3" ID is the magic number)

I should have mentioned that I have the K&N 63-3062 Intake installed. If you do not have the same intake I would double check the ID of the filter to make sure.

I like 2084 myself. I just measured and you would have plenty of room to fit that size filter.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I should have mentioned that I have the K&N 63-3062 Intake installed. If you do not have the same intake I would double check the ID of the filter to make sure.

I like 2084 myself. I just measured and you would have plenty of room to fit that size filter.

I'll measure mine tonight and post the results here. should be the same I think. If not, they do have some 3.12 3.25 and 3.5 filters.

EDIT: The K&N site lists the same replacement filter RU-4730 for the 63-3062 you have as well as the 77-3062KP I have (also the 57-3062 which is the black pipe)

Part RU-4730 Product Specifications
Product Style: Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
Air Filter Shape: Round Tapered
Base Outside Diameter: 6 in (152 mm)
Top Outside Diameter: 5 in (127 mm)
Flanges: 1
Flange Inside Diameter: 3 in (76 mm)
Flange Length: 1.75 in (44 mm)
Flange Type: Centered
Height: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Filter Material: Cotton Gauze
Top Style: Rubber
Top Material/Finish: None
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.26 oz (37 ml)
Weight: 1.2 lb (0.6 kg)

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
dmanns67 said:

Dumb question but are you running a stock air box cover or do you keep it off?

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
I was going to get filter this weekend!! I run a stock set up, will any of these work? I can't remember how the filter goes on.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Charley12 said:
I was going to get filter this weekend!! I run a stock set up, will any of these work? I can't remember how the filter goes on.

Yeah bro there's a filter finder tool on their website. I'm on my phone otherwise I would just tell you. It's the same process as replacing a stock filter. It's just that next time you can just clean it instead of replacing it.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
xtitan1 said:
Dumb question but are you running a stock air box cover or do you keep it off?

No sir. I am running the K&N 63 Series HAI. Here is a pic of my setup for reference. I am just going to swap the K&N for a Green filter.

View attachment 28861

Charley12 said:

Here is what you need if you are running a stock intake. It works for TB and Envoy. https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/2199

The filter is a bit pricey, but the filter will pay for itself in no time and probably outlast your Voy.

Attachments

• 20130608_124426.jpg
    20130608_124426.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 17

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
dmanns67 said:
No sir. I am running the K&N 63 Series HAI. Here is a pic of my setup for reference. I am just going to swap the K&N for a Green filter.

View attachment 15390

Here is what you need if you are running a stock intake. It works for TB and Envoy. https://www.greenfilterusa.com/store/2199

The filter is a bit pricey, but the filter will pay for itself in no time and probably outlast your Voy.

Thanks man! I have had K&N in the past, never again. I used there locater tool and envoy was not an option. I figured I could get my answer here. :wootwoot: :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher