GPS Locator

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Hi, I have two questions.

1. Is there a factory-installed GPS locator in these trucks? If so, where is it located?

2. If there is an aftermarket one installed, say by the dealer, how would I find it?

Thanks.

And BTW, I don't have OnStar.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've heard of tracking beacons like LoJack hidden in places the owner would never find them. Put there by dealers as a requirement by lenders to high risk borrowers. Is that what you're worried about?

To trace them you'd have to be able to identify any non-factory power wiring and trace it to the module. Not easy.

UMEXT

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
the roadie said:
I've heard of tracking beacons like LoJack hidden in places the owner would never find them. Put there by dealers as a requirement by lenders to high risk borrowers. Is that what you're worried about?

To trace them you'd have to be able to identify any non-factory power wiring and trace it to the module. Not easy.

Any ideas where to start?

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
UMEXT said:

Under the steering column if they put them in there for lender reasons, they usually have a disable starter option which usually intails putting a relay in. So look at the yellow wire and see if they have another wire spliced into it.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
UMEXT said:

I'm guessing you already know there isn't one plugged directly to the OBD2 port or magnet mounted to under your truck, look under the truck in dark and look for led lights glowing. You can look behind the OBD2 port for wires spliced in. I would look behind the radio stack or behind vents near the top of the dash, maybe even spliced into wiring behind the light switch, it might be mounted high up for better signal. Some will have led lights on them, look under dash and in dash in a garage or at night and see if you see any lights glowing under there but people do tape over the led's too tho so they don't illuminate.

Watch some you tube videos on GPS installations in vehicles...:thumbsup:

[video=youtube;U1CXreG2Srs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1CXreG2Srs[/video]
[video=youtube;QlcxuFN3LSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlcxuFN3LSM[/video]

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Just a thought; Was this a former fleet rental? If so, do you know which company? They may tell you where they hid them.
Some vehicle rental companies use GPS locaters to track how the rental is being driven. They can charge extra if you're caught speeding. (At least that's what I've heard.)

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Just a thought; Was this a former fleet rental? If so, do you know which company? They may tell you where they hid them.
Some vehicle rental companies use GPS locaters to track how the rental is being driven. They can charge extra if you're caught speeding. (At least that's what I've heard.)

Can't see a rental company letting the GPS's go with the vehicles when sold or how someone else could access it and start tracking with it. I think the OP thinks he's being tracked. Cell phones can also be configured for tracking purposes for cheap too, all someone would need is a password and log the cell at one of those free map sites and voila.....instant tracking.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
You can always just use a GPS Jammer.... Of course it's illegal, causes problems with aircraft and other devices, but they won't know where you are at

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online