gmc envoy xuv tailgate

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Can you verify the endgate has power? Do you hear any of the actuators trying to fire when you press either release button? Can you lower/raise the endgate window? If you remove the trim panel from the inside of the endgate, there's a manual release lever in there on the driver's side. :twocents:

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
when he hits the yellow button on the back left panel you can hear a click near where the window motor is but nothing releases.i dont know the xuv stuff.i hope someone on here can point him in the right direction.

Billdaman

Jan 19, 2012
hopps2343701 said:
i have a 2004 gmc envoy xuv the rear door wont swing out or lay down any body have a clue whats wrong or how too fix it[/QUO

Can you hear any clicking noises coming from the gate in the area of the left latches when you depress either of the pressure switches (drop or swing)?If you do then you have power to the switches.

Here is the procedure to open the latches manually. It wont hurt to do this as if you are keeping the XUV and don't have a lot of spare change to pay dealers you will eventually need to become familiar with the end gates "innards" Let me know in a PM if you need assistance. I know a little about the gate. Bill

Reactions: dtarbill

hopps2343701

Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Can you verify the endgate has power? Do you hear any of the actuators trying to fire when you press either release button? Can you lower/raise the endgate window? If you remove the trim panel from the inside of the endgate, there's a manual release lever in there on the driver's side. :twocents:
yes i can lower the window there is a yellow button making it click but still nothin

hopps2343701

Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Billdaman said:
hopps2343701 said:
i have a 2004 gmc envoy xuv the rear door wont swing out or lay down any body have a clue whats wrong or how too fix it[/QUO

Can you hear any clicking noises coming from the gate in the area of the left latches when you depress either of the pressure switches (drop or swing)?If you do then you have power to the switches.

Let me know in a PM if you need assistance. I know a little about the gate. Bill
yes i can hear clicking noise

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sounds like you have a similar (but worse) issue to a friend of mine who also has an XUV. In his case, he can swing his endgate open consistently, but it won't drop most of the time. The few times we've gotten it to drop successfully, we've been unable to replicate it. :frown:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Please open your hood,........ and show me an old 4.3 V6!.......:biggrin:

You are lucky I brought this to your attention before the others found out. :thumbsup:

Attachments

29.9 KB · Views: 195

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Here is some operational info I have learned from my XUV.

When swinging endgate open (like a door) the window must come down about an inch or so before the left latches will release.

When folding down the endgate the window must be all the way down before the top latches will release.

If you push the inside yellow button, the window always goes down completely (this is an emergency escape provision)
I also have a rear window button on my keyless entry fob, a fourth button. Double push lowers rear window all the way.

hopps2343701 said:
yes i can lower the window there is a yellow button making it click but still nothin

Does the window actually move? It sounds like it does. If not, your window has stopped working, it must move all the way down when you push the yellow button.

Are you getting any dinging or DIC messages about the Endgate?

Sometimes the window and/or roof will get out of calibration and you need to follow the owners manual instructions to recalibrate it.
Essentially holding the window down button on the overhead console for a few seconds re calibrates the window down sensor.

Billdaman

Jan 19, 2012
gmcman said:
Please open your hood,........ and show me an old 4.3 V6!.......:biggrin:

You are lucky I brought this to your attention before the others found out. :thumbsup:

Fixed! Wow that was a close one

hopps2343701

Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
BRomanJr said:
Here is some operational info I have learned from my XUV.

When swinging endgate open (like a door) the window must come down about an inch or so before the left latches will release.

When folding down the endgate the window must be all the way down before the top latches will release.

If you push the inside yellow button, the window always goes down completely (this is an emergency escape provision)
I also have a rear window button on my keyless entry fob, a fourth button. Double push lowers rear window all the way.

Does the window actually move? It sounds like it does. If not, your window has stopped working, it must move all the way down when you push the yellow button.

Are you getting any dinging or DIC messages about the Endgate?

Sometimes the window and/or roof will get out of calibration and you need to follow the owners manual instructions to recalibrate it.
Essentially holding the window down button on the overhead console for a few seconds re calibrates the window down sensor.
Yes I have tried to do that also still nothin my roof goes up window goes up and down

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Replacing the switches is what I would also recommend. I had a similar issue, but not as bad. I would just keep pressing on each of the buttons, if different spots, until the switch reacted. Got tired of that in the cold, and just had the dealer replace them.

orangeblsm

Jul 9, 2013
OK i have power to the rear end to the window/ wiper/ EMERG yellow botten...But i don't here and clicking our ingaging to the unlocking the tailgate? bad switch ? still looking in to it any help will be Awesome...tryed to recalierated the two windows that still did not fix the problem...any help Please..:crazy:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I had an issue with my XUV tailgate just the other day. What I ended up having to do was to disconnect the battery, hold the negative terminal and positive terminal together for about 15 seconds, reconnect the battery, and then do a recalibrate of the rear window. Once I did this, everything started to magically work.

Dec 29, 2013
First and foremost greetings from Cleveland!

Post #1

Second after suffering for months I finally stumbled on here to find that I am not the only one in this hell! I am a DJ so you can imagine the complete torture my tailgate not working at ALL has caused me.
After going to the GMC dealer, spending $120 they told me the switches dont work, but they really dont know if ordering them and trying to replace them will work (after $400 more). Well F you very much.

No part of the release pad works at all, nor is there any action when the yellow release button is pushed. However, the window and wipers and sliding roof works just fine.

I had no idea there was a manual way to open this gate. Mercy.

If anyone has some instructions on replacing the switches and where to order them Ill do it myself if I can.

Any further help will be appreciated.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The switches are fairly easy to replace once you have taken your interior panel of the tailgate off. Its just a matter of a couple screws, and a wiring harness for each switch at this point.

envoyxuvsle

May 30, 2014
I have same problem. I can't swing open or drop down. When I depress the left switch, I can hear clicking sound and it even opens a little, something else prevent it to open. I push the door, it close and can hear latching on.
When depressing the middle switch, can't hear anything moving.
other part of the tailgate work fine, window go up and down, roof open close.

I followed the instruction from Bill's diagram, take the trim panel off, but can't locate both levels. The detailed view does not make sense to me. In that area inside tailgate I only see window, wire harness, an motor/acurator at bottom. can anyone help me with the release level?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The diagram says the levers should be near the endgate latches, so they should be deep in the corner, past the edge of the glass I would assume.

jsomething

May 13, 2013
The levers are on the actual actuator housing located at the latches. Feel around till you feel a round part the bumps out from the housing about an inch across. On the diagram thats the part that has the x going through it. From there the diagram makes sence. Just feel around till you feel the metal level coming through the plastic housing

wolfman512

Jun 9, 2014
I had the same problem with my 04 envoy too .... I did get it open by using the manual release . Next i removed the two switches and found that they were both bad ( had to drill the heads off the screws to get them out )I cut some hard plastic and put them in place of the switches and then put in a couple push button switches in .... afterwards when i pushed the buttons i would hear a click .. but the tail gate wouldn't open. Next i found a fuse for rear latch blown ... replaced the fuse and everything is good now.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Just replaced both of mine, the new part number is below. ebay vendor "premierchevroletbuickgmc" a new vendor but shipped GM parts fast, free ship.
I don't think it is possible to replace without going inside the Endgate, even if you could get the screws out (mine were rusted badly) IIRC the switchpad connector needs to be disconnected first from the inside.
I ended up removing the entire trim piece with switch pads, key switch and license lights. (need to access 4 10mm nuts, 3 connectors and 2 license bulbs from the inside).

Description

Unit price

Qty

Amount

GM OEM 22747152 Lift Gate-Lock Switch
Item# 171318062765

$24.68 USD

$49.36 USD

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
BRomanJr said:
Just replaced both of mine, the new part number is below. ebay vendor "premierchevroletbuickgmc" a new vendor but shipped GM parts fast, free ship.
I don't think it is possible to replace without going inside the Endgate, even if you could get the screws out (mine were rusted badly) IIRC the switchpad connector needs to be disconnected first from the inside.
I ended up removing the entire trim piece with switch pads, key switch and license lights. (need to access 4 10mm nuts, 3 connectors and 2 license bulbs from the inside).

Description Unit price Qty Amount GM OEM 22747152 Lift Gate-Lock Switch
Item# 171318062765 $24.68 USD 2 $49.36 USD
Thanks, I appreciate the insight from another XUV owner. Just drove mine 100 miles, love how tranquil these things are to drive, especially now that I have some tunes back. : )

Meiznac

Feb 21, 2013
I'm having a different issue, i'm sorry.
My tailgate won't drop down.
The swing motion, window, Yellow button in the cargo area, heated glass, wiper and spray works.

I checked the upper left and lower left latches, they seem to be alright, a little rusty and dusty so i cleaned and lubed it.
i tried to check the upper right latch but i can't access it at all.

Next I checked the switches.
i check the left switch and its working.
the right/middle one doesn't do anything, i don't hear a clicking sound. i swapped the switches from left to right and right to left, the left one works but not the right/middle one.

could it be bad wiring(again)?
i didn't have time to check the wire loom at the lower right of the tailgate coz its getting dark out and the mosquitoes.
or could it be the upper right latch?

Sorry if i hi-jacked this thread.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
Meiznac said:
I'm having a different issue, i'm sorry.
My tailgate won't drop down.
The swing motion, window, Yellow button in the cargo area, heated glass, wiper and spray works.

I checked the upper left and lower left latches, they seem to be alright, a little rusty and dusty so i cleaned and lubed it.
i tried to check the upper right latch but i can't access it at all.

Next I checked the switches.
i check the left switch and its working.
the right/middle one doesn't do anything, i don't hear a clicking sound. i swapped the switches from left to right and right to left, the left one works but not the right/middle one.

could it be bad wiring(again)?
i didn't have time to check the wire loom at the lower right of the tailgate coz its getting dark out and the mosquitoes.
or could it be the upper right latch?

Sorry if i hi-jacked this thread.
Does the Roof open?
There is a procedure to "set" (memorize) the window down position and neither the endgate down or roof open will work until this is set properly.

In my Owners Manual instructions it states to lower the window and continue to hold the button until you get audio confirmation that is is set, some dinging and a DIC message if you have it.

This might be the issue, if you have the DIC and one function is not working, it might display a useful message.

Meiznac

Feb 21, 2013
the roof opens, the window relearn i did a few times i forgot to mention on my recent post.
there are no messages on the DIC.
i remember when it was functioning before that the DIC would display tailgate ajar, tailgate glass down, roof opening or roof closing.

Meiznac

Feb 21, 2013
so i tried tackling the tailgate again, i tested the connectors from the vehicle side for the switches for voltage.
they have power.
so it was the switch after all.
one of the pressure switches was oxidized from the inside of the connector.

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
Where is the best most inexpensive place to buy those pressure switches, mine are flaking out on me? Thanks.

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
BRomanJr said:
BRomanJr do you know if anyone has done a step by step posting on this with photographs? How easy is it to remove that trim piece? I am always afraid when I pull those that I will break some difficult to replace clip or something but pulling on the wrong location.

Meiznac

Feb 21, 2013
i'd say ebay if your in the US,
but i bought mine from
the dealer for $46 CAD each.
I bought two for $92 CAD.
i figured the tailgate is dismantled,
might as well replace both switches and keep the working one as a spare to save me some hassle.

Reactions: TimRXUV777

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
BRomanJr do you know if anyone has done a step by step posting on this with photographs? How easy is it to remove that trim piece? I am always afraid when I pull those that I will break some difficult to replace clip or something but pulling on the wrong location.
I bought my new switch pads on e-bay, click the link in my response above.

Remove the inner panel of the endgate, (6) torx screws.

Remove module, (3) 10mm bolts.

NOTE: You can work on replacing the switches from here without more disassembly, but the switch pad screws are probably rusted in there, I went further as directed below.

Remove (3) wire connectors, one from key switch (2) from the switch pads and then (2) twist out 194 License bulbs.

Remove the body color trim. (4) 10mm nuts from the inside. There is almost no chance of breaking anything.

You can work with the switches easily at this point.

I ended up using new nuts and bolts to hold in the new switch pads because the sheet metal "nuts" were so rusty and crumbled to pieces.

envoyxuvsle

May 30, 2014
i tried to push the manual release, the white plastic piece upwards, no luck, my finger hurts but still can't open it. any suggestion?

Knockster

Aug 29, 2014
A simple way to test if the switch is bad is to take the back panel off.
Unplug the left switch and take 2 wires and stick them in the connector making sure they correspond with the wires on the connector.
Take the open ends of the wires you attached and touch them together.
The window should open about an inch and the door should open.
You must make sure you have a good connection or you will get a false negative result.

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
BRomanJr said:

Description Unit price Qty Amount GM OEM 22747152 Lift Gate-Lock Switch
Item# 171318062765 $24.68 USD 2 $49.36 USD
Are these, item number, the two pressure switches that you touch/push on to get the tailgate to swing to the side or down? Those two are now only functioning sporadically and I think they need to be replaced, but it's difficult to tell if these are those pressure switches or some other switch/latch?

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
Are these, item number, the two pressure switches that you touch/push on to get the tailgate to swing to the side or down? Those two are now only functioning sporadically and I think they need to be replaced, but it's difficult to tell if these are those pressure switches or some other switch/latch?
Yes, those are the pressure switches. They get corrosion inside somehow and get intermittent, and after a while, nothing. One of mine actually corroded the conductor from the connector going into the pad.

jackws709

Sep 25, 2014
Have a 2004 Envoy XUV and the endgate would not open side to side or up and down come to find out there was a clip in the back that was hanging and when I rolled the window down it pulled the wires out of the clip re attached the wires and now the endgate works both ways as well as the lisence plate lights Hope this works for anyone that may be trying to fix their Envoy. Now to fix the fuel tank and it should be all good to go.

dtarbill

Jan 18, 2015
Billdaman said:
hopps2343701 said:

Here is the procedure to open the latches manually. It wont hurt to do this as if you are keeping the XUV and don't have a lot of spare change to pay dealers you will eventually need to become familiar with the end gates "innards" Let me know in a PM if you need assistance. I know a little about the gate. Bill

Thanks Billdaman, this is exactly what I was looking for. I accidentally shut the tailgate on my 2004 Envoy XUV after I had disconnected the harness connector while installing a backup camera. The connector is right next to the right side hinges. My bad, but I can't believe there isn't a more accessible manual override for these situations. Thanks again!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online