gmc envoy xuv tailgate

Jun 12, 2017
NY
I have a 05 envoy xuv and while the tailgate was down I flipped the latch in an attempt to turn the interior lights off. Forgetting I've flipped the latch I closed the tailgate jamming it, can't open ,can't close compleatly. Has this happened to anyone else or any suggestions. Thanks!!!

Reactions: Bmill

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
I am not sure what you mean. "flipping the latch"? Trying to picture doing this with my XUV and i am not sure what you are describing.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I am not sure what you mean. "flipping the latch"? Trying to picture doing this with my XUV and i am not sure what you are describing.

Think of it like the regular doors. The latch catches and holds onto the strike plate, with has the door ajar switch to tell the BCM to turn the lights on.

If you chose to, while the door or lift gate is open, you can manually close that latch. Problem is you would normally not be able to close the door or lift gate. Since the XUVs have 3 latches instead of just 1, it's possible that the ones that were still open, partially closed and won't open, and the one that was closed before is preventing it from closing completely, causing the jam scenario. :twocents:

Reactions: XUVconversion

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Old topic, but I thought I would add to the above.. If you flip the latch, as described above, and close the tailgate, this applies pressure on the latch that wasnt flipped. So you must press extremely hard on the door while someone else pushes the button, and listen closely to hear the latch operating. Had this happen over the weekend when I dropped a screwdriver perfectly, and unknowingly, on the latch mechanism. This is the process I had to do to overcome the latch pressure. This Electronic latchs are not very strong, just enough to operate under normal operating conditions. Any more stress, and they wont operate without assistance. Even having a coat hanger inbetween the seal and door is enough to require pressure on the door to release the latches.

Last edited:

Lovemyxuv

Dec 13, 2020
Norland ont
Can you verify the endgate has power? Do you hear any of the actuators trying to fire when you press either release button? Can you lower/raise the endgate window? If you remove the trim panel from the inside of the endgate, there's a manual release lever in there on the driver's side. :twocents:
Does anyone have a picture of the location exactly where this emergency lever is to open the endgate

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Does anyone have a picture of the location exactly where this emergency lever is to open the endgate

I don't have a pic, shoulda done that when we had my friend's open. When you get the end gate panel off, you can reach up in the top corner on the driver's side where the latch is, and there's a small slider style switch that will release the latches to swing the gate open.

Lovemyxuv

Dec 13, 2020
Norland ont
i have a 2004 gmc envoy xuv the rear door wont swing out or lay down any body have a clue whats wrong or how too fix it
The manual release to at least make it swing is behind the tailgate if you're inside it it is on your right hand side it is basically the electronic lock if you look very closely you will see a shiny silver metal tab it's small if you push it all the way to the top it will open I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out also

The manual release to at least make it swing is behind the tailgate if you're inside it it is on your right hand side it is basically the electronic lock if you look very closely you will see a shiny silver metal tab it's small if you push it all the way to the top it will open I was pulling my hair out trying to figure this out also

You basically have to lay down in the back and stand on your head to see it but it is there once you take off the metal plate look up to your right it's on an angle you have to look very carefully the picture I sent you is of the electronic switch that little silver tab is what you want to push up your end gate will swing open cheers

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 8
  • s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 8

Billdaman1

Nov 14, 2018
Ohio
I have a 05 envoy xuv and while the tailgate was down I flipped the latch in an attempt to turn the interior lights off. Forgetting I've flipped the latch I closed the tailgate jamming it, can't open ,can't close compleatly. Has this happened to anyone else or any suggestions. Thanks!!!
Picture2.jpg

Had to go back to the old Trailcrap site :popo:I was kicked off of in order to get the diagram I pulled from the service manual and posted when I worked as an engineer on the XUV development team at GM.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: xavierny25

double07

Mar 29, 2023
Michigan

You basically have to lay down in the back and stand on your head to see it but it is there once you take off the metal plate look up to your right it's on an angle you have to look very carefully the picture I sent you is of the electronic switch that little silver tab is what you want to push up your end gate will swing open cheers
I've got a 2004 Envoy and am in need of lower tailgate latch.(drivers side) upper and lower are different....can't find anything around me, the photo's I'm seeing are exact .....text me if you can locate 2693695894...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Unfortunately, the majority of the XUV owners in this thread haven't been on the forum in a number of years. Finding the unique parts for that truck are pretty hard to come by. :sadcry:

• Sad
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Look over the offerings at THIS eBay Vendors Site for various XUV Components. Hope It Helps:

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Your best bet is to rebuild your current unit...

WatchJRGo did this on his XUV, and had great success.

I bought NOS latches, and they were as bad as my old ones new out of the box. The parts are so old, the grease has congealed, and will do the same thing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online