Gibson 315597 is Junk...

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
This is a PSA for anyone considering purchasing a # 315597 Gibson Side Swept system for their EXT Trailblazer, Envoy, Ascender... Don't expect it to fit.

Overall,,,, the Gibson system is about 6" to short for the EXT. If it were just the 6" short,,, I would weld an extension onto the headpipe or tailpipe... but that is NOT the only problem.

I ordered mine through Summit... it took 22 days backorder from Gibson. I am assuming they build to order. Gibson used the wrong template on this headpipe,,, or they just don't care. I sent them an email,,, they have yet to respond.

The tailpipe fits well... the hangers are properly located and the tailpipe can twist to place the chrome tip where you want it in relation to the bumper skirt.

The muffler is ok... mine arrived with a dent on it... but it is exhaust, not jewelry.

The HEADPIPE... complete fail.
*It could be 6" longer to make up for the 6" short...
*The welded hanger is further back from the flange than the OEM hanger is. The isolator is not able to stretch and reach the Gibson hanger.
*The bends is the headpipe are wrong. It does not bend up to clear the cross-member. I would have to turn the pipe, (tilt the hanger towards the floorboard) to get the headpipe off the cross-member.
*The supplied flange bolts are too short... but only because the center hole in the flange is too small for the cone in the pipe. The flange sits too far from the CAT flange... longer bolts needed.

The instructions say to bolt on the HeadPipe first... However, It can't be bolted on because the bend in the pipe causes it to collide with the cross-member. If you twist the bend away from the cross-member, the hanger points towards the floorboard.

So I hanged the tailpipe... and attached muffler to it. These two fit well together and look good... now all I need is a correct fitting headpipe.

I've seen where other TB owners have used this system... Why does mine not fit? My only answer is because they used the wrong template for the headpipe.... There is no way other TB owners have used this same headpipe... maybe on the Short Wheelbase,,,, but not on the EXT.

The reason I ordered a boxed system is because the said Trailblazer is my service vehicle....
I use it daily for work and don't have the time to sit at an exhaust shop waiting to be serviced.
I ordered the 315597 thinking I could install it myself in a few evening hours... WRONG.

I wish I could, but I am NOT going to pack it back up and wait for a refund from Summit... I already waited 22 days for this disappointment to arrive.
Lastnight, I (irreversibly) cut out the OEM exhaust from my vehicle only to find that the GIBSON system is not a direct fit.
Now, today, I need to cancel my service jobs in order to lay under my Trailblazer and fix Gibson's screw-ups.
Serious loss of money for me.

I am going to combine the OEM head pipe and the Gibson headpipe to construct a correct fitting headpipe out of the two.

Again, this is a PSA...so the next person who is considering a 315597 does not suffer the same frustration and aggravation.

If you do order Gibson #315597,,, be prepared for downtime... and have your saws and welder ready.

Attachments

• 0920171844.jpg
    0920171844.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looked on Gibson's site and it does say it's supposed to fit the EXT. From what it sounds like, they sent you the kit for the short wheelbase version.

You should call them. Email is usually spotty for customer service.

Reactions: 808_LS_EXT

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion, Mooseman...

I needed this vehicle on the road today... Gibson took 19 days to build the kit for Summit... no telling how long they would have taken to attempt to help me.

Still no email reply from them.

I spent the better part of today fixing their screw-up... spliced the OEM and Gibson pipes together. The OEM half clears the cross-member, has the proper flange and proper hanger... the Gibson half has the offset for the muffler... and the two put together make a headpipe long enough to make up for the 6" short the Gibson system is.

Image attached... don't mind my weld... my argon is empty... but at this point function trumps aesthetics.

Attachments

• spliced.jpg
    spliced.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 23

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Gibson did reply to my email... basically a routine apology,,, with a suggestion of another kit number that may have been a better choice,,, and no offer from Gibson to resolve my issue...

Hello, I am sorry for all your issues and delays. I have done a little digging around and it looks as if part # 315599 would have been a better choice. The headpipe is different in bend, as well as the hanger bracket is in a more direct connection placement. Also the headpipe is a little longer. The supplied bolt are designed for that headpipe, which may be the incorrect one for what you are using. Again I do apologize for the issues you are having. Thank you, Warranty Mgr.

On both www.gibson.com and summitracing.com,,, neither suggests the option of kit #315599

After receiving that email, I tried communicating with him... today, 4 days later I finally made contact via phone.

The Warranty Mgr is a natural at making excuses and dragging out the issue.
*The conversation got heated as I was getting frustrated with his unwillingness to help... he THREATENED to fly to Hawaii to continue this conversation face to face,,, really, he did.
*I asked him to check on how long it would take to build me the correct headpipe,,, he said he had no idea,,, I asked him if he is the Warranty Mgr,, how is it he does not know what the procedures are,,, his response, "Because ""JOYOUS" customers like yourself take up all my day,,, I do not have time to learn how the build-shop works".
*He ended the conversation with saying, "I'll be sure to give you a follow up call when your ""PRECIOUS"" pipe is built".

I have never experienced a Customer Service rep as Condescending... this guy surely wins the prize.

He later suggested it may take up to 2 weeks to build the pipe and 2 more weeks to ship it out.... I ordered this kit on Aug 29, Received it on Sep 20... and now Gibson is saying I need to wait another 4weeks? This is not a restoration build,,, it is an exhaust replacement on a daily-driver.

Well,,, it's a good thing I have cutting and welding equipment... otherwise my Daily-driver would have been disabled for an unreasonable amount of time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well that sucks. I've had better customer service from China using Chinglish. If there was a Chinese copycat, I'll bet they would have fixed it, given some money back and apologized.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, your profile is a little out of whack:

Year:
Make:
Chevy
Model:
S-10
Trim:
Aero
Engine:
4.3l V6
Drivetrain:
2WD
Color:
Fire Red

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Well that sucks. I've had better customer service from China using Chinglish. If there was a Chinese copycat, I'll bet they would have fixed it, given some money back and apologized.

1wj0oo[1].jpg

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Just curious, what year is your truck? Summit shows the 315599 as 06-09 and the 315597 as 03-05

2005 TB 2WD 4.2L EXT
MFR Date 12/04

Reactions: stickypoop

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Rather whacked out if you ask me.

Safe to say that while I hadn't really considered Gibson in the past much, I certainly won't now if that's the way they treat people.

Reactions: Mounce

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Rather whacked out if you ask me.

Safe to say that while I hadn't really considered Gibson in the past much, I certainly won't now if that's the way they treat people.

Updated Profile... it is no longer whacked.

And just to clarify, my statements about my conversation with Gibson customer service are accurate... no exaggeration or stretching of truth.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I meant whacked out that they would treat you like that. How do they think they would keep business treating people like crap?

Reactions: 808_LS_EXT

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
I meant whacked out that they would treat you like that. How do they think they would keep business treating people like crap?

Absolutely... I asked myself that same question a dozen times... each time he jabbed condescendingly....

808_LS_EXT

Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Final Update: Summit-Raicing partially refunded me and sent me a gift card too... Gibson finally got that 315599 replacement head-pipe to me... it has proper bends,,, BUT the hanger is welded in the wrong location and the pipe is still too short for a EXT model.

Bottom Line: both the Gibson #315597 & $315599 kits will not fit the EXT models.

It's too bad because the muffler sounds cool and the tailpipe looks cool... just be prepared to fabricate your own headpipe.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online