gas light wont turn off?

kon

Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Hate complaining more then helping but has anyone had this prob?
My light came.on got gas light turnd off drove to the store came back out turnd the car on an the gas lights back on an stays on even with the key out the ignition.
If it.helps figure things out when i got gas i kinda smelled a heavy odor of gasoline when i got back in the car but then it finally faded away? Im lost lol any helps appreciated.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like a purge issue. You shouldnt be smelling gas at any time unless the canister purge valve is opened. Could be an evap leak somewhere. I would get the codes read.

kon

Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
To be honest though im.not sure if the smell was on me or not though.
I was thinkin of disconnectin the battery an see if the light comes back

kon

Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Replace the gas cap and check filler neck for corrosion.

I had a code pop up 3 months.ago an it was taken care of with a new cap so i dont know if its the cap here.

Attachments

• IMG_20130611_132026.jpg
    IMG_20130611_132026.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 6

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When my filler neck rusted and I was smelling gas it set a SES light for an evap leak, not the low gas light. That is... odd.

No idiot light should be on when the key is pulled. That sounds like an electrical gremlin, maybe ignition switch related since most of those oddball issues usually trace back to it.

kon

Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Sparky said:
When my filler neck rusted and I was smelling gas it set a SES light for an evap leak, not the low gas light. That is... odd.

No idiot light should be on when the key is pulled. That sounds like an electrical gremlin, maybe ignition switch related since most of those oddball issues usually trace back to it.

Thanks alot ill ask someone to check that for me then. What do the gremlins like to eat to draw them out? Lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sparky said:
Agreed. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) has both constant 12V and a switched ignition power source available to it, but the low fuel indicator is turned on by a data message. So it could be either the ignition switch or the IPC. Swap with a local buddy to find out for sure. If you don't have a local buddy, one will be provided to you at no charge at the next local meet. If you don't have a local meet, START ONE. :biggrin:

kon

Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
the roadie said:
Agreed. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) has both constant 12V and a switched ignition power source available to it, but the low fuel indicator is turned on by a data message. So it could be either the ignition switch or the IPC. Swap with a local buddy to find out for sure. If you don't have a local buddy, one will be provided to you at no charge at the next local meet. If you don't have a local meet, START ONE. :biggrin:

I dont have any gmt buddys. Should i just stalk random trailblazer owners in my. Neighborhood and force tgem to swap parts?
I gotta say im surprised im gettin actual help thanks alot

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's what we do here :biggrin:

Too bad you're not closer otherwise I'd help track down the problem, swap switches with you, etc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online