Front Sway bar bushing gap

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Ok well I found out yesterday the sound I've been hearing has been coming from the bumper and not the links or bar, but with that said I got a alignment yesterday after hitting a massive pothole on the highway that threw the steering wheel off a few weeks ago and now I can really feel the difference the links and bushings made, I'm able to fly around corners with not much bodyroll, but I also found out the cheap Chinese tires I have aren't helping at all so when I get new tires I'm definitely getting in good name brand.

Also a good tip I found out when I bought my spare is to buy tires at a junk yard they sell them cheap like $80 rim & tire for a basically new Bridgestone

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I haven't bought a new tire in years. Winters are especially easy to find as many people sell their vehicle but still have the winter tires in the shed. Some good deals to be had but I have been burned a couple times with tires that had invisible cord damage.

Matt_TB_05

Aug 1, 2015
Bayonne
Gerbil21 said:
Yes, also I did actually torque them down but since I have the car up I'll check them again.

Also here's a pic if the passenger side lifted up

attachicon.gif
DSC_0085.JPG

Driver Side
attachicon.gif
DSC_0074.JPG
what kind of grease did you use for your bushings. i ordered the AC Delco ones for my 05

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Bushings rarely lead to clunk noises until they get really bad. Clunking is usually links. But even partly worn bushings can lead to excess noise and poor handling. My front end was making a groaning noise (more like a soft graunnch) going over sweeping bumps when the front suspension would move together as a unit. This is the situation where the sway bar rotates in the bushing instead of the bar torquing when only one wheel would go over a bump.

I replaced my bushings with Moog K80774 (actually the NAPA relabelled version) and the noise is gone. The existing bushings were okay but the lack of lube created the noise. They were urethane bushings and needed lube, but I just cannot bring myself to unbolting the bushings every year and regreasing them on the inside. (Trying to do it from the outside would be useless.) Urethane bushings are notorious for making noise unless greased regularly.

Note that there are three types of bushings available for our platform:

- Rubber (usually black, but sometimes blue) They may or may not require greasing, but grease must be designed specifically for rubber bushings, or it will rot prematurely.

- Urethane (may be black, red, blue) They will usually tell you they are urethane and it feels like a very dense and stiff rubber. They add control to the front end but MUST be lubed with the special (included) lube. They must be re-lubed regularly or they make noise such as I experienced.

- Polymer (Moog calls it thermoplastic) These are the latest bushing design. They have the stiffness of urethane but without the need for lube. The thermoplastic is a self-lubricating bushing and are supposedly much more resistant to wear, weather and road grime than the other two. Note that they are sold under several brand names: Moog K80774, NAPA 2652632, AC Delco professional 45G1557, Raybestos professional grade 5501557 etc. They are all blue and all look the same. (Probably made in the same factory and relabelled for all.)

45G1557_Primary__ra_p.jpg

These should NOT be lubed.

So care must be taken to ensure urethane bushings are lubed at install and re-lubed regularly, and that the new thermoplastic design is NOT lubed. The way to tell if your new bushings should be lubed is simple - if they come with lube, install them lubed. If they don't; then don't lube.

To me, sway bar bushings are cheap and easy to install. They should be replaced with every sway bar link or shock replacement, or if you are like me, at least every 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:

EnvoyNorCal

Oct 16, 2015
Castro Valley
2015-10-22 16.57.02.jpg For 5 years since I last replaced these bushings, I didn't even realize that I had bought the larger 1.8" bushings. Today I replaced them with the 1.72" and it fits much better. Suspension has been tigjtened up somewhat. But it never did clunck, I'd think those would be the sway bar links. Also, didnt know whether to lube or not, but I've read others say they squeak so I lubed them inside and out with Mobil1 synthetic grease.2015-10-22 17.00.08.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xavierny25

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
View attachment 72430 For 5 years since I last replaced these bushings, I didn't even realize that I had bought the larger 1.8" bushings. Today I replaced them with the 1.72" and it fits much better. Suspension has been tigjtened up somewhat. But it never did clunck, I'd think those would be the sway bar links. Also, didnt know whether to lube or not, but I've read others say they squeak so I lubed them inside and out with Mobil1 synthetic grease.View attachment 72431

What brand bushing did you buy? Also what year voy do you have?

EnvoyNorCal

Oct 16, 2015
Castro Valley
Gerbil, those are Moogs. My Voy is 2002. I looked up the part number of the sway bar on Google, and people on TV and tbss forums were saying to buy the 1.8" bushings, and so I did and moved on. This time around, I measured several times with strips of paper and averaged about 44mm and couldnt believe I've had the wrong size. Didn't make a huge difference in handling and noise, but still. Also, fwiw if they made rubber ones id probably install those, they seem quieter and more cushy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86