front shocks removal / replacement... can't drop enouugh...

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
truck got about 160Kkm on it so I thought I would tackle the front shocks. working on the driver's side first as it is the easiest to get at "up top".

I can't seem to drop the wheel / axle far enough to get the lower portion of the shock to come out of the "receiver". The shock comes up just where you can begin to see the "indented" sleeve portion... it still needs to get about 1/2 further out.

I have disconnects the sway bar link along with the steering rod.... still no further drop on the wheel. Any guidance on what more to try or technique on getting it out / off would be greatly appreciated. The youtube videos that I watch are for a two wheel trailblazer and they seem to be able to drop the wheel quite readily.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The shock, spring and lower "receiver" should be removed as one unit. You don't remove that lower mounting bracket until after it's all removed.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well, that depends. On mine I couldn't get the lower yoke off the LCA (same thing happened with Matt's passenger side).

When it gets some rust/dirt/corrosion in there it gets really hard. Spray it liberally with PB, and use a pry bar in the seam of the yoke where the pinch bolt was to try to spread it open a bit further. I did it by myself on mine, but it is a huge pain. Easier with two people (one prying, the other pulling).

Reactions: Matt

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sparky, did you have any problem getting the new shock in doing it that way?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not really. Once the old was out I could clean up the bore of the yoke with course grit sandpaper and/or a file, and the new shock practically drops right in and can spin around to get the top lined up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Better than a pry bar, use a chisel wedged in the seam to spread it open. Second person not required then.

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I had to pull the front shock yoke "component".... didn't have access to the gm service manual at post time. The shock comes off there after. It would appear based on that that you don't have to disconnect the other things (ie. stablizer, and steering arm).... although I haven't gotten to the passenger side yet to confirm that. The gm service manual only mentions that... sheesh... when in doubt get out the computer and pull up the manual. could have saved a lot of swearing... :smile:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, IF the yoke comes off you don't have to disconnect the tie rod or the sway links. Trick is getting that yoke off the control arm.

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
completed the passenger in "record time" because of the "experience" from the other side. Removing the shock yoke still requires the disconnecting of the stabilizer link to allow the axle to drop enough /clearance there after but overall a relatively painless activity of about 1 hour worth of effort.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.