NEED HELP Front pass & rear driver side window switch lights dead

SpitShine_PL

Original poster
May 26, 2023
Poznan, Poland
Long time no posting, but my truck is fine and has been puttering along daily (in Europe... without a CNG/LPG conversion, with insane gas prices, har har har!)

It's super weird to type this, but it was only during a drive last night that I noticed the front passenger and rear driver's side window switches are dark. The driver's window switch panel, the rear pass window switch and all other switches light up nicely.

I figure this means both affected switches have the light sources dead of age or there's something funky going on in the wiring.

I understand all backlight sources in the window switches (plus other switch panels, like the garage opener) are fed via several brown wires coming from the left I/P fuse block (10 amp fuse, INT PARK) and are triggered the PARKLAMP RELAY (which itself is powered by a 30 amp fuse labelled PARK LPS that lives in the UEC). If the fuses were blown, no backlights on the listed components would come up with interior lights/triggered by the headlamp switch turned on.

Screenshot 2024-10-20 090238.png

I could confidently test the brown power wires feeding the affected window switch lights with a test light, I suppose, to verify they get their 12 volts. Otherwise I would have to take the affected switches apart and replace the light sources.

1. Can the window switches be disassembled safely without irreversibly breaking them?
2. What are the window switch light sources? I understand the backlighting is indirect and works with a single bulb on the switch PCB. Are they T-size wedge-lock bulbs, like the 3 or 3.5-mm white ones? IDK if GM used soldered in LEDs in the window switches.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
1. Can the window switches be disassembled safely without irreversibly breaking them?
Yes. Done all the time to replace the bulbs inside.

2. What are the window switch light sources? I understand the backlighting is indirect and works with a single bulb on the switch PCB. Are they T-size wedge-lock bulbs, like the 3 or 3.5-mm white ones? IDK if GM used soldered in LEDs in the window switches.
They care controlled by the BCM via PWM according to the input from the IP brightness adjustment just below the headlight switch.

More than likely, you didn't notice it and they are now dark. Likely just the bulbs inside are burnt. The usual remedy is to replace the bulbs with LEDs.

SpitShine_PL

Original poster
May 26, 2023
Poznan, Poland
Aight!
BTW, found a dead rear window switch for the Suburban and prised it open to see if the bulb is replaceable.
Well, just my luck * sobs *. The thing is THT soldered...

Any particular advice on the soldering iron tip and soldering temperature setting? I'm kinda proficient, I'm just careful about anything related to PCB soldering.

IMG_0844.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Blckshdw is our resident LED conversion SME. We do have a big LED mod thread that might have those answers, and others.

Reactions: SpitShine_PL

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Any particular advice on the soldering iron tip and soldering temperature setting? I'm kinda proficient, I'm just careful about anything related to PCB soldering.

You won't damage the PCB, it can handle the heat better than the LEDs can. Treat it as you normally would, and you should really be fine. In some cases where the OEM solder doesn't plan nice and melt, you may need to buy a small quantity of low-temp melt solder to help out. I haven't run into that scenario on components in these trucks though. :twocents:

Reactions: SpitShine_PL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apdesigns420

Members Online

No members online now.