Front Lower Control Arm Bracket - Bolt/Nut Question

JoeK

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Hello everyone- I have a 2005 Envoy XL with about 160K miles and it is time to replace the front lower control arms and brakets due to much squeaking. I would rather replace the whole unit (which includes the ball joint) instead of trying to deal with the replacing the bushings. I have a question that I could not find an answer to via searching.

Question: Do the lower control arm bracket bolts have removable nuts on the other end or do they screw into something that is welded onto the frame? Just trying to figure out if I will be able to do this replacement on my own as it seems like it would be very difficult to get a grip on the nuts (erase that dirty thought from your mind everyone!) if they exist.

As an FYI, I will also be replacing the upper control arms and getting an alignment when completed. Sway bar end links have been recently replaced.

Thank you for any information you can provide!

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have a 06 Trailblazer and I am doing this project right now. Yes there are nuts on the end of those bolts that come off. I am doing the replace the bushing and balljoint game rather than replacing the bracket. You might want to think of doing the upper bushings and balljoint too since you will be tearing it apart. Reread your question and do you mean the bolts at the bushings , yes nuts the come off, the bolts that hold the bracket that have the bushings the nuts stay. Bolts come straight down and there are 3.

JoeK

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Thank you Fire06. Sorry if the text was confusing.

My question was for the three bolts at the bracket (not the ones at the bushing). I am glad to hear that the nuts for the bracket bolts stay in place!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Strangely enough, we just had a member (maybe on offroadtb.com) whose alignment went horribly wrong when he backed up and put on the brakes. Took the longest time to realize his LCA bolts were loose. These bolts have the highest torque spec on anything in the vehicle, I believe 170 or 180 ft-lbs!

Dirt Dobber

Aug 5, 2013
I have a 04 TB EXT 2 wd. I just replaced control arms and bushings on my stabilizer. I had no problem doing it. Self explanatory. just make sure that you fill you control arms. and use graphic on your bushings if using polyurethane bushing, this will prevent future squeaks. Took about 2 hrs.

make sure when tightening the bolts that you do tighten back to oem specs.

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
When replacing the LCA does one have to remove the CV shaft from the hub to allow clearance for the LBJ, and so the entire LCA, to come out of the hub?

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Left one cv shaft in when I replaced the lower control arm bushings and balljoint the other shaft had to remove because of a leaking seal. Not a big deal to leave it.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Seeing as how I did the lower ball joints today, I would say you would have to remove the entire spindle to remove the lower control arm.

After I removed all components: brakes, rotors, separated tie rod, hub assembly, separated upper control arm, I was expecting the spindle to just drop but had to use a puller to separate it from the ball joint

I think it would be a very involved job.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The_Roadie said:
Strangely enough, we just had a member (maybe on offroadtb.com) whose alignment went horribly wrong when he backed up and put on the brakes. Took the longest time to realize his LCA bolts were loose. These bolts have the highest torque spec on anything in the vehicle, I believe 170 or 180 ft-lbs!
Front mount bolt is 195, rear bolt is 177. I do believe it is the highest value in the vehicle. And for reference, the LCA-to-bracket nuts are 81.

I'd highly suggest getting the tech manuals freely available in our Technical Discussion area. Reference Front Suspension for a complete list of torque specs as needed.

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
Had a bugger of a time getting the LCA bracket out from the frame due to 13ish years of Manitoba/Alberta winters. I really need to invest in a fairly meaty BFH, found several uses for one that my axe had to sub for! I removed the spindle and supported it with a jack stand, while I r/r'd the LCA. When I had to insert the LBJ I muscled the spindle betwixt my knees until I had it seated. With both ball joints disconnected I could rotate the spindle toward the back of the truck far enough for the LBJ stud to clear the axle. The biggest headache was just getting the old LCA out.

I eyeballed the alignment of the new LCA as best I could before I torqued it down but once I'm done my struts (which is where this whole ordeal started) and install my new UCAs I shall have it aligned.

Gratitude* for the help friends!

*Spartacus reference

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
Fire06 said:
I just finished the front balljoint / bushing job and just supported the shaft.

One must always support the shaft.

Iluvhtdgs

Apr 3, 2022
Wisconsin
Just did this job, well almost. Passenger side I snapped one of the bracket bolts. Not I have to get a shop to take out bolt. Was thinking if cutting the nit on top to get bolt out. Any suggestions?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You may get lucky, and pound on the broken end of the bolt, and it may pop out of the pinch that is holding it onto the mount on top. They arent welded, just pinched in. I had 2 of them pop off just by unbolting them when I did my LCA mounts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've had to cut off the recessed bolt head with a torch and then punch in the nut on top of the frame. Got an equivalent nut and bolt and was able to put a wrench on the nut on top of the frame while tightening.

Reactions: xavierny25

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
View Post #22 & #25 for the GM OEM Bolt Specs related to which Bolt & Replacement Nut to install-onto into the Frame Area adjacent the Trailing Arm of the LCA:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online