Front left axle shaft leak

billcare4228

Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Foxhome, MN
Hi all. 05 9-7x 4.2 still have the factory awd. Don’t actually mind it because I drive it and am careful when I see it could engage.
Anyway, I just went through the front end, control arms,axle shafts and seals and ball joints etc... all because the drivers side axle shaft was leaking. Now it’s leaking again. There is play in the shaft. Is this because of a bad bearing where the shaft goes ito the diff? I’m a little peeved about this... thanks for you help!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation! Quite possible if it was leaking for some time the lube got low and the bearing got damaged. You'll have to pull the axle and inspect. The axle might also be damaged since the bearing rides on it.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Isn't there some form of bearing preload adjuster behind the seal on the drivers side of that front differential? Could that be incorrectly positioned and would that lead to a leak?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Over time with wear and tear there will be some play on the axle shaft. As long as a flexible seal is there it won't leak, but if you have severe damage then even a new seal will self destruct. I changed the seal on my 220k mi diff over a year ago and it's still OK.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online