Front differential plug - any replacement parts available?

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Does anyone know of an adequate replacement for the 13mm front differential drain plug? Mine has been rounded a bit and I would like to replace it for future ease of removal. I have "googled" the bejickis out of it with no luck. Looks to be an obscure part? Would any oil drain plugs work? Would the dealer sell me one? Cant find it on GM Parts Direct etc.

I like to keep my fluids fresh! Any help or direction is most appreciated!

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
JCJARHEAD said:
Does anyone know of an adequate replacement for the 13mm front differential drain plug? Mine has been rounded a bit and I would like to replace it for future ease of removal. I have "googled" the bejickis out of it with no luck. Looks to be an obscure part? Would any oil drain plugs work? Would the dealer sell me one? Cant find it on GM Parts Direct etc.

I like to keep my fluids fresh! Any help or direction is most appreciated!
if you have a pick N pull near you I would expect it to be a cheap part.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
GMPartseast.com shows it as item 39. Only $10.42 through them, so a dealer might be close to the same price, and you won't have a delivery charge.

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Some of you have far better search skills than I! I called the local dealer.....part is $14 and change. Going to get it there for sake of ease.

And it IS a 12mm..NOT 13mm...that might explain how I rounded it slightly. Yes, I am a knucklehead! thanks again to all for the assist!

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Glad it was cheap and local. I'm surprised you've missed all the references to the different parts houses that have online stores that have been mentioned here on the forum. That particular one doesn't give the entire part number, but I have seen others that do. I have also been able to use that partial number and do a search on ebay or Amazon and get a hit that has the rest of the part number.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
A dealer located my REAR plug at another a few weeks ago. Cost me $5 I think. Spent more in gas to go get it

Edit:
Oops. Just read you called.

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
C-ya said:
Glad it was cheap and local. I'm surprised you've missed all the references to the different parts houses that have online stores that have been mentioned here on the forum. That particular one doesn't give the entire part number, but I have seen others that do. I have also been able to use that partial number and do a search on ebay or Amazon and get a hit that has the rest of the part number.

That was my screw up....I was searching by name: "FRONT DIFFERENTIAL DRAIN PLUG" and got surprisingly few and useless links. I searched one of the GM parts places onlines and did not find the part number. I will remember to search the diagrams in the future. I think dealers are onto some of us who shop online now:lipsrsealed:, as when I called the dealer and asked for the part number....he simply replied he could have it tomorrow and it was $14.....I figured close enough!:cool:

thanks again....I will be sure to try some different angles of approach next time I am looking for something somewhat obscure.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online