Frame replacement

Gabe1879

Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
Huntertown Indiana
I have a 1999 Silverado 1500 w/ 4wd, I am on the lookout for a new frame because I have recently found rust holes through the frame. Does anybody know where I can get one? I was also thinking about throwing a 2500hd frame & suspension under it because I am doing a lot of towing and hauling, I already have a 4l80e and when the engine blows I plan on putting a 6.0 Vortec in it. what are your thoughts on that?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Frame replacement is a major undertaking and you would have to try and source one from a non-rust belt truck. Transportation of it to you will be a major cost. The yard selling it to you would have to strip it so that will likely increase the cost further. It would probably come without the diffs or wheels unless you want to pay for those. You would need a vehicle lift to do the swap.

If the rust through is localized to one area, I would just weld some plating to fix it. If the frame is really beyond repair, i don't know if the cost of replacing it would be justified given the age and overall condition of the truck body. You would have to be the judge of that.

Reactions: xavierny25

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
It might be easier to find a donor truck and then swap in the parts from your truck that you want to keep. A fringe benefit of this approach is that it can be done over time and so you are not left without a driveable vehicle.

Last edited:

Gabe1879

Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
Huntertown Indiana
the reason I was thinking of just doing a frame swap is because the body is in almost perfect shape, with almost no rust at all, just one small dent in the cab, the engine may have a lot of miles but is well taken care of and still runs like a dream. and the 4l80e is also in good shape, I figured it would be cheaper to do a frame swap over buying a whole new truck.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If you're considering a 2500, you'd be better off getting a clean 2500. The little differences would drive you crazy. None of your current running gear would be usable (axles, control arms, springs) some of the harnesses are routed differently. It's a massive undertaking. And even if you did get it all working insurance would still list it as a 1500 so any benefits (like my state has) for pre 2007 3/4 ton and up trucks is lost too... I'd do same for same or attempt a frame repair. Depending where it is (bed area) it would be fairly easy to pull the bed and fix.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online