Fog Light DRL Mod

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Fog Light DRL Mod

Overview:
Alright guys here is a simple way to convert your fogs into DRL. We will accomplish this by using a combination of a capacitor and relay spliced into the wiring at the BCM. This mod keeps the auto headlight function, so when it gets dark the fog lights will turn off and the headlights will turn on. In addition to the fogs being on during the day, they will also become the front night time perimeter illumination while remote unlocking. This is for vehicles that have factory fog lights, but can be modified to work with other lights by adding an additional relay.

Summary: Turning the fog lights in to Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Difficulty: Moderate
Estimated Time: 30-45 min
Total Cost: $10-$20

Required tools:
10mm Socket
Ratchet for Socket
Wire stripper/cutter
Crimper
Soldering Iron
Solder
Heat Shrink Tubing
1x 10uf 35v Capacitor
1x Blue Ring Terminal
2x Red Butt Connectors
3x Red Scotch Lock Connector
1x Blue Scotch Lock Connector
5x Female Spade Connectors (If not using a relay socket)
1x 5pin relay, preferably with relay socket to make installation cleaner
7x Random lengths of wire (I used roughly 10" of wire that is color coded to the BCM wires we will be working on)

Note: Being we are going to be working on the bcm connectors, if you are not comfortable with electrical wiring then find someone who is comfortable doing it. The author takes no responsibility if you mess up the wiring, or worse yet the bcm. Also as like any electrical modifications, DISCONNECT battery before preforming any work on the electrical system.

We will be using this diagram to install the relay into the wires at the BCM.

Fog DRL Relay.jpg

Before we head out to the vehicle, lets get our capacitor soldered up and make sure our relay is ready to go. The capacitor has negative and positive leads(most capacitors have a negative marking on the side, if not usually the shorter lead is negative), so be sure to remember which wire is positive and negative(I used red for positive, black for negative). Solder the red wire to the positive lead of the capacitor, and the black wire to the negative lead of the capacitor, then heat shrink each solder joint, and then i used the next size up and just heat shrinked over the capacitor and the joints.

Capacitor 1.jpg
Capacitor 2.jpg

Once all soldered connections are done, and if you are not using a relay socket, now would be the time to install the female spade connectors onto the wires for the relay and to get ready to head out to the vehicle for installation.

Fog DRL Install 1.jpg

1. Once out at the vehicle we have to access the BCM. Short wheelbase models will need to pull up on the rear driver side seat to expose the fuse box cover, and then remove the cover off the fuse box and BCM. Long wheelbase models will need to remove the driver side second row seat to gain enough access to the BCM, once the seat is removed you will be able to take the cover off of the fuse box to access the BCM (Which is what I had to do since I have a LWB).

Fog DRL Install 2.jpg

2. Once we have access to the BCM its time to disconnect both plugs on the side of the BCM (a gray plug, and a tan plug). From here you will need to remove some of the tape around the wires to give you enough room to cut and tap into the wires we need to(LWB models may not have extra wire to work with, so it might be pretty close to the BCM Connectors. Just make sure you give yourself enough room for the connector being used).

3. Find the pink/white wire in pin A5 of the gray plug. Follow the wire back about 3-4 inches and CUT then strip the ends of each of the wires, I also installed a red butt connector on each end of the wires.

Fog DRL Install 3.jpg

4. Next we will connect the pink/white wire from pin #30 to the pink/white wire that comes from the BCM Connector. Then we will connect the pink/white wire from pin #87 to the pink/white wire that goes into the wire harness.

Fog DRL Install 4.jpg

5. Next we will find the white wire in Pin B6 of the gray plug. Follow the wire back about 3-4 inches away from the plug and use the red scotch lock to connect the white wire from pin #86 of the relay

Fog DRL Install 5.jpg

6. Next we will find the Pink wire in pin E7 of the tan plug. Follow the wire back about 3-4 inches away from the plug and use the red scotch lock to connect the pink wire from Pin #85 of the relay.

Fog DRL install 6.jpg

7. Next we will find the Dark Green/White wire in Pin E11 of the tan plug. Follow the wire back about 3-4 inches away from the plug and use the last red scotch lock to connect the drk green/white wire from Pin #87a of the relay

Fog DRL Install 7.jpg

8. Now its time to connect the capacitor, first lets take the positive end and using a scotch lock connect it to the pink/white wire that goes to pin #30 of the relay.

Fog DRL Install 8.jpg

9. Using a 10mm socket, remove one of the nuts that holds the fuse box to the vehicle. Install a ring terminal on the negative end of the capacitor, and install the ring terminal on the stud that you removed the nut from. Reinstall the nut tight so we have a good solid ground. If using a relay socket, you can now install relay into socket.

Fog DRL Install 9.jpg

If you don't have a helper to see if everything is working the way it should, then block your wheels so when you put the vehicle into gear to check for proper operation it wont roll.

10. Once all connections are made, and you either have a helper or the wheels blocked. Reconnect the battery, turn the ignition to run and move the shifter out of park. Check to make sure the fog lights have came on. If they do, put shifter back into park and turn ignition off.

11. Time to button everything up and reinstall the seat if you have a long wheel base.

Fog DRL Install 10.jpg
Fog DRL Install 12.jpg

12. Step back, crack open a beer and enjoy a job well done!

Last edited:

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Damn you,now I have to rebuild my system:sadcry::hail:.
I like that the fog comes off when auto headlights comes on,respect. Job very well done.
/Janne

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Damn you,now I have to rebuild my system:sadcry::hail:.
I like that the fog comes off when auto headlights comes on,respect. Job very well done.
/Janne

Great write up Matt. :2thumbsup:

Thanks guys! I had been thinking about this one for a while, and just couldn't find the time to tear my old drl killer out and redo it. Lol. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Harpo

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Now for the parking lights as DRL mod for the guys with LS models :poke::yes:

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Now for the parking lights as DRL mod for the guys with LS models :poke::yes:
Actually I have just tested and by using another relay You can achieve the drl to work with any other lighting that requires a positive signal.. Such as aftermarket fog lights, light bar.. Ect.. I just tested it on my 32" light bar that has a relay setup on it already, and works flawlessly..

Reactions: dmanns67

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Actually I have just tested and by using another relay You can achieve the drl to work with any other lighting that requires a positive signal.. Such as aftermarket fog lights, light bar.. Ect.. I just tested it on my 32" light bar that has a relay setup on it already, and works flawlessly..
Dome lights as DRL :woohoo:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No DRL! :2thumbsup: I turn mine off nearly every trip.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Fog Light DRL Mod

Overview:
Alright guys here is a simple way to convert your fogs into DRL. We will accomplish this by using a combination of a capacitor and relay spliced into the wiring at the BCM. This mod keeps the auto headlight function, so when it gets dark the fog lights will turn off and the headlights will turn on. In addition to the fogs being on during the day, they will also become the front night time perimeter illumination while remote unlocking. This is for vehicles that have factory fog lights, but can be modified to work with other lights by adding an additional relay.

Summary: Turning the fog lights in to Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
Difficulty: Moderate
Estimated Time: 30-45 min
Total Cost: $10-$20

Required tools:
10mm Socket
Ratchet for Socket
Wire stripper/cutter
Crimper
Soldering Iron
Solder
Heat Shrink Tubing
1x Diode
1x 10uf 35v Capacitor
1x Blue Ring Terminal
2x Red Butt Connectors
3x Red Scotch Lock Connector
1x Blue Scotch Lock Connector
5x Female Spade Connectors (If not using a relay socket)
1x 5pin relay, preferably with relay socket to make installation cleaner
7x Random lengths of wire (I used roughly 10" of wire that is color coded to the BCM wires we will be working on)

Note: Being we are going to be working on the bcm connectors, if you are not comfortable with electrical wiring then find someone who is comfortable doing it. The author takes no responsibility if you mess up the wiring, or worse yet the bcm. Also as like any electrical modifications, DISCONNECT battery before preforming any work on the electrical system.

We will be using this diagram to install the relay into the wires at the BCM.

View attachment 74857

Before we head out to the vehicle, lets get our capacitor soldered up and make sure our relay is ready to go. The capacitor has negative and positive leads(most capacitors have a negative marking on the side, if not usually the shorter lead is negative), so be sure to remember which wire is positive and negative(I used red for positive, black for negative). Solder the red wire to the positive lead of the capacitor, and the black wire to the negative lead of the capacitor, then heat shrink each solder joint, and then i used the next size up and just heat shrinked over the capacitor and the joints.

View attachment 74860
View attachment 74861

To prevent any possible issues with back feeding while the fog lamps are on, we will solder a diode inline on the dark green/white wire that goes from the fog light wire to the relay(pin 87a on the relay). Make sure the silver stripe on the diode goes towards the relay. After the diode is soldered in, heat shrink the connections. This was brought up after my install, so I just used a couple butt connectors and spliced the diode inline.

View attachment 74871

Once all soldered connections are done, and if you are not using a relay socket, now would be the time to install the female spade connectors onto the wires for the relay and to get ready to head out to the vehicle for installation.

View attachment 74862

1. Once out at the vehicle we have to access the BCM. Short wheelbase models will need to pull up on the rear driver side seat to expose the fuse box cover, and then remove the cover off the fuse box and BCM. Long wheelbase models will need to remove the driver side second row seat to gain enough access to the BCM, once the seat is removed you will be able to take the cover off of the fuse box to access the BCM (Which is what I had to do since I have a LWB).

View attachment 74858

2. Once we have access to the BCM its time to disconnect both plugs on the side of the BCM (a gray plug, and a tan plug). From here you will need to remove some of the tape around the wires to give you enough room to cut and tap into the wires we need to(LWB models may not have extra wire to work with, so it might be pretty close to the BCM Connectors. Just make sure you give yourself enough room for the connector being used).

3. Find the pink/white wire in pin A5 of the gray plug. Follow the wire back about 3-4 inches and CUT then strip the ends of each of the wires, I also installed a red butt connector on each end of the wires.

View attachment 74859

4. Next we will connect the pink/white wire from pin #30 to the pink/white wire that comes from the BCM Connector. Then we will connect the pink/white wire from pin #87 to the pink/white wire that goes into the wire harness.

View attachment 74863

5. Next we will find the white wire in Pin B6 of the gray plug. Follow the wire back about 3-4 inches away from the plug and use the red scotch lock to connect the white wire from pin #86 of the relay

View attachment 74864

6. Next we will find the Pink wire in pin E7 of the tan plug. Follow the wire back about 3-4 inches away from the plug and use the red scotch lock to connect the pink wire from Pin #85 of the relay.

View attachment 74865

7. Next we will find the Dark Green/White wire in Pin E11 of the tan plug. Follow the wire back about 3-4 inches away from the plug and use the last red scotch lock to connect the drk green/white wire from Pin #87a of the relay

View attachment 74866

8. Now its time to connect the capacitor, first lets take the positive end and using a scotch lock connect it to the pink/white wire that goes to pin #30 of the relay.

View attachment 74867

9. Using a 10mm socket, remove one of the nuts that holds the fuse box to the vehicle. Install a ring terminal on the negative end of the capacitor, and install the ring terminal on the stud that you removed the nut from. Reinstall the nut tight so we have a good solid ground. If using a relay socket, you can now install relay into socket.

View attachment 74868

If you don't have a helper to see if everything is working the way it should, then block your wheels so when you put the vehicle into gear to check for proper operation it wont roll.

10. Once all connections are made, and you either have a helper or the wheels blocked. Reconnect the battery, turn the ignition to run and move the shifter out of park. Check to make sure the fog lights have came on. If they do, put shifter back into park and turn ignition off.

11. Time to button everything up and reinstall the seat if you have a long wheel base.

View attachment 74869
View attachment 74870

12. Step back, crack open a beer and enjoy a job well done!

Edited to add diode inline on fog light to relay to prevent any possible back feeding issues.

Could this be achieved in a simpler way as in splicing the fog wire into perimeter lighting as my TB doesnt have DRL

Sorry if I missed something. Im new to all this electrical stuff

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Could this be achieved in a simpler way as in splicing the fog wire into perimeter lighting as my TB doesnt have DRL

Sorry if I missed something. Im new to all this electrical stuff

all tb's have drl, unless previous owner disabled it.. the drl only comes on when truck is in the run position, and in gear.. drl doesnt come on when in park.

but as for your other question.. you would have to use a relay to acheive that, as the bcm sends a ground signal to the high, low, and fog light relays.. and being you cant intercept the park lamp signal before the relay, you would have to splice in after the relay, and it would have to be a positive signal for the park lamps to work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online