Firestone Destination MT

BaDAppLe

Original poster
Member
Jun 28, 2012
51
Does anyone run Firestone destination MT tires? I'm looking for reviews? I found a slightly used 5000 miles set for $500 on Craigslist that I could buy for $450 I'm thinking. I see these are around $230 each new. Thanks
 

Irishboy02

Member
Apr 1, 2012
222
Mrsmithtb, now smitty something haha - he ran them on his tb in 32s. I do believe he liked them alot. Took them on a trail and they did great in his opinion and i was behind him so i can confirm. Not sure exactly what your vehicle plans are but they are good tires. Id say pick them up, esp if you can get a good deal on them. Try for the ol' "400 cash and ill pick them up", usually works for me. Hopefully smitty will see this post and chime in some more. Keep us updated!
 

BaDAppLe

Original poster
Member
Jun 28, 2012
51
Irishboy02 said:
Mrsmithtb, now smitty something haha - he ran them on his tb in 32s. I do believe he liked them alot. Took them on a trail and they did great in his opinion and i was behind him so i can confirm. Not sure exactly what your vehicle plans are but they are good tires. Id say pick them up, esp if you can get a good deal on them. Try for the ol' "400 cash and ill pick them up", usually works for me. Hopefully smitty will see this post and chime in some more. Keep us updated!

Thanks for the reply. No plans of a lift or anything. The tires are very near stock size. The guy says he had them on a leased Envoy that was turned in with stock tires on it. I'm mostly on road with a bit of offroad and snow as I'm near Buffalo NY.
 

drwfaulk

Member
Jan 5, 2012
144
Any pics of the tb with the Firestone m/t's on? I searched ortb and didn't see a pic of the full tb just part of the wheel well.
 

willn513

Member
Dec 4, 2011
918
That is a great deal for these. They would probably be around $800 new. I'd say jump on it, and if you end up not liking them you could probably still get most of your $ back out of them.
 

BaDAppLe

Original poster
Member
Jun 28, 2012
51
LT 245 70 17 should fit no problem correct? Speedo will be off a little bit? I'm going to call the guy to see what I can get them for. Thanks
 

BaDAppLe

Original poster
Member
Jun 28, 2012
51
Ok I found out the deal. Now I need some input from a tire expert. The guy had a sidewall hole so one was replaced. The new one has 3/32 more tread than the other 3. I hear that over 1% variance is bad on transfer cases.New these tires have 20/32 tread depth. All 4 are less than a year old with 3 having approx. 5000 miles while newer one has a little over 1000miles on it. So I'm not sure how to do the math? The guy ran them on his AWD envoy without a problem he says. What should I do?? Thanks
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
I owned a set of these. Nice tires. 4,000 miles difference is nothing. People that do 5 tire rotations go more than that all the time. However...3/32nds wear would seem to be more than 5000 miles worth.
 

Canadian Mike

Member
Dec 3, 2011
738
BaDAppLe said:
The guy ran them on his AWD envoy without a problem he says.

AWD on an Envoy, never heard of that. Did he mean A4WD? Like jbones said, is the seller giving you doubts, if so, buyer beware.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
Easy fix for the tread difference if you have an open differential rear - stick the thicker one on the rear right and do a single wheel burnout for a short bit :rotfl:
 

Irishboy02

Member
Apr 1, 2012
222
Sparky said:
Easy fix for the tread difference if you have an open differential rear - stick the thicker one on the rear right and do a single wheel burnout for a short bit :rotfl:

Or if you dont have the g80, put the higher tread on the rear driverside. No power goes there anyway so you wont have any issues. Regardless, for the time being you have a few months before you need to use your 4wd. Ride on it in 2wd for a little bit to even the tread, then when you need the 4wheel, rotate your tires. I wouldnt pass up on a good deal.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,328
Posts
637,956
Members
18,531
Latest member
jvest

Members Online