NEED HELP Engine stalling. No codes

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Have yyou had a CASE relearn done when the engine was replaced? Unless the shop has access to a high end scanner, it might not have been done. I would try this before diving any deeper into it. Check with the shop. If they did, I would plead with them to fix it under warranty despite being beyond the 30 day period as a good will gesture or at a reduced cost.
No. They didn't ..iam pretty sure. I told him about the knock sensor problem. That you told me to check the wiring. I go back and told him, and they fix the wiring was damaged.
We was talking about scan tools they don't have any

Last edited:

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Yes....

(1) The CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) is located in the Front, Just underneath the Valve Cover on the Outer Block and is held in with 10MM Bolt. Its Job is to MEASURE THE ABSOLUTE POSITION OF THE EXHAUST CAMSHAFT.

(2) The CPAS (Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid) is located just behind the Power Steering Pump Assembly on the Passenger Side of the Engine Head. Likewise ...it is held in place with a 10MM Bolt. Its Job is to use an Electro-Magnetic Pin that slides and 'shuttles' in and out to allow Engine Oil to Pass into and out of the Camshaft VVT (Variable Valve Timing) Phaser.

The Motor Oil first passes through a series of Stainless Steel Fine Mesh Screens in order to Filter out Large Pieces of Dirt and Detritus that would otherwise Clog up the Insides of the Cam Phaser. This Device allows for Infinite Advance and Retard Variability between "0" to "25" Degrees of Exhaust Camshaft Rotation.

This makes it possible to change the Power Band and Torque in a spectacular way that gives this In-Line 6 LL8 Engine a MUCH wider Performance Band... up and down from the Low to High RPM Scale. When the Screens get Clogged ... The PCM has NO Way of detecting such problems... and the Engine will Stagger when Idling and loose Power at Higher RPM levels because the VVT action of the Cam Phaser becomes impeded.

The CPAS, CPS, CKP, MAF, TPS, ACC and O2 Sensors constantly inform the PCM as to when to Precisely Fire the Spark Plugs (BTDC) and adjusts the Fuel Delivery using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signalling to the (6) EFIs and strives to achieve the Cleanest Burning 14.7:1 A/F conditions. By performing well In this manner... the GM Atlas Engine Camshaft VVT Phaser System also eliminates the need for an EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-Cycling) Valve.
Thanks. Very good information ℹ
I checked the crank shaft position sensor wiring and mounting is ok. Its night time here. I just check it my flashlight and jacked the car up a little.
Day time have its eyes 👀 tomorrow morning i will check it again

I did the following procedure in the attached file and there is current in the socket

Attachments

• p0013.pdf
    409.8 KB · Views: 3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Seeing that it is a circuit malfunction, the CPAS itself could have failed, leaving an open circuit thus, throwing that code as the PCM isn't getting a complete circuit. If the wiring is good, I would try and replace the CPAS.

Reactions: mrrsm and yazan

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
That will happen tomorrow. Iam in the car. I just can't sleep. Thinking and searching…
Tomorrow is off .no work. So its ok.

Good news this night is the following
I fixed the abs code that I have since long time. Try and try. But no luck.
Today figured Its the wiring harness after the front right speed sensor socket .along with the body. Was Cracked.

The ticking doors panels and flickering lights… is No more. The weird thing is where I fix it!
I started removing all aftermarket device's and accessories. Started with merta gmos01 and axxess interface . used for after-market sereo gps headunit.
And it was the axxess device. !

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Had I known, I could have told you that Axxess GMOS units are junk since I have had similar personal experience. If you need another one PAC are solid units.

Don't lose too much sleep over this. You need your full wits about you to tackle this effectively. You are getting there, slowly.

Reactions: yazan

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I just surprised by some one knocking my window while iam inside the car inspecting the wires under the steering column .:biggrin::biggrin:
a police car. They was turning off their headlights . and Driving the opposite way, parked in front of my car .. he knocked the window… I really surprised. I didn't feel or notice them parking or walking….
They think I was steeeaalllinggggg a caaaar :crackup:
GET OUT THE CAR.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE
YOUR ID PLEASE
and IT'S 5 morning here
I told him what iam doing and showed my docs. …….
I laughed and they laughed.. I know they are thinking what a crazy weird man iam… and they leave like that .and so I back to home.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Stay safe out there man

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just point them to this thread. They'll understand :dielaugh:

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
its really complicated and weird
i just swapped again the pcm with the spare one ,
i returned the other pcm (03 envoy) , mean to say i removed the pcm4less pcm that i was using for years and was installed with the previous dead engine .
istarted the engine and keep it running for hours , no stall , no codes at all , i make a lot engine off and on cycle to see if there is any codes will set . no codes !
then decided to make a test drive i got pending p0014 ( pending )

i keep driving for about 15 minutes , the code still as pending , no ses , and no other codes ,no stalling no vibration , no hesitating, nothing at all

i don't know if its not enough time for the codes to be detected ? but i was having the scary p1345 and p0013 and stalling while running the engine idled .

is the tuned pcm is bad , it was there when i start having troubles in the old engine ,it may cause it ? it was perfect since i ordered in may 2015
i don't want to order one right now as iam on low budget , until i got sure its the pcm it self ..... and the current pcm will not get defected

do you advise me to replace the cpas and cps ?
is the 2002 pcm can't deal/work good with newer engine model 2005 ?
does oil viscosity can effect this ? the engine is imported from us , i think many people in us is using oils like 5w30 or lower , iam not sure if the engine used to deal with low viscosity oils ? we use here 10w30 or 20w50 in summer time specially with high mileage engines

why iam thinking of oil viscosity ? iam afraid the oil is blocking/clogging cpas screens.
is it stupid idea?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The P0014 is often associated with a bad CPAS so I would go ahead and replace it. Get an ACDelco or Delphi only. Since you were also getting a P0013 (CPAS open circuit), it could very well point to a bad CPAS.

However, in my experience, P1345 is associated with a bad cam phaser gear.
How-to: Replace the Cam Phaser (aka: VVT Actuator)

Start with the CPAS first. May be worthwhile to get a CASE relearn done as well by a shop with a high end scanner or Tech 2. If both fail, I would suspect a bad phaser.

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
The P0014 is often associated with a bad CPAS so I would go ahead and replace it. Get an ACDelco or Delphi only. Since you were also getting a P0013 (CPAS open circuit), it could very well point to a bad CPAS.

However, in my experience, P1345 is associated with a bad cam phaser gear.
How-to: Replace the Cam Phaser (aka: VVT Actuator)

Start with the CPAS first. May be worthwhile to get a CASE relearn done as well by a shop with a high end scanner or Tech 2. If both fail, I would suspect a bad phaser.

forget to say , that the cpas was easily rotating with the tuned pcm , but with the 03 no , its hard
tomorrow : time for new cpas & oil change

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Hi. Its 3 days since I replaced the cpas. No codes until now. No stalling. :lightbulb::ok::lightbulb::wooot::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I don't know if I can use my tuned pcm that was working and see what will happen? Iam afraid 😨 the pcm is bad will damage the cpas and become free to rotate ?
Also do I havetodo the case relearn?

@Mooseman @MRRSM Iam deeply and highly appreciating your helpand advices.

Reactions: Blckshdw and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That is VERY Encouraging News...@yazan

Ordinarily... The Motor Oil of Choice for the Trailblazers & Envoys with the Atlas Vortec LL8 4.2L Engine ...is Mobil1 and using either a Mobil1 or a K&N Oil Filter... or a Comparable FULL Synthetic while Using a High Quality Oil Filter. My preference on High Mileage Engines is to Change the Oil and Oil Filter every 3,000 Miles due to the contamination that WILL occur from Gas Vapor Blow-By getting past the (6) Pistons that will have either impacted or worn Compression Rings . Blow-By allows the Oil to become Saturated with Un-Burned Gasoline... which seriously reduces its protective "lubricity" by thinning down the Motor Oil.

However... if you are located primarily in a DESERT REGION... The higher ambient 100+ Day Time Temperatures might allow for the use of 10W-30 FULL Synthetic Motor Oil. But if you mostly drive at Night Time... We all know how very Cold a Desert can become once the Sun sets. I'm down in Florida, USA... and the ordinary Day Time AND Night Time temps will range from the High 90s to the low 80s ...and so ... using the 5W-30 Viscosity Oil with regular Oil Changes works quite well in the Tropics and Sub-Tropical Regions.

The critical thing to observe is that prior to Changing out the Old CPAS, Purchase (6) Quarts of Inexpensive, Organic 5W-30 Motor Oil and a Cheap Oil Filter. Drain the current Oil (Save this Oil and Filter if you only recently changed your Oil and Filter). Then... Install the New "Cheap" Oil Filter and re-fill the Crankcase with the New "Cheap" (6) Quarts of Motor Oil. Now comes the Important Part... Add in just (1) Quart of "Cheap" Transmission Fluid... or (1) Quart of Commercial Engine Flush.

Now... Start the Engine at IDLE.... and DO NOT RACE THE ENGINE.... Allow the mixture to circulate through the Engine AT IDLE for only 5-10 Minutes.... Then Shut Down and Drain the Oil (discard it with the "Cheap" Oil Filter. ... REPLACE THE CPAS ....and THEN... Re-Fill the Motor with (7) Quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 Motor Oil and a Brand New Mobil1 Oil Filter. If THIS does not eliminate The Dreaded "P0014" Code... Nothing Will. :>)

PS...

Prior to Plugging in the CPAS Electrical Connector... use CRC Electronic Spray Solvent (NOT WD-40 or Brake KLEEN Spray) in order to completely clean out and dissolve any Old Oil Contamination left inside of the Connector by having an Oil Leak around the worn CPAS "O" Ring or a Cracked Electrical Connector to the Solenoid Motor inside of the CPAS:

CRCELECTRONICSPRAYSOLVENT.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I highly doubt that the tuned PCM can cause any damage to anything. Some of the older style CPAS were able to rotate within the head. Newer ones have slits for the holder instead of a groove all around the body.

@MRRSM 's suggestion is a good one to run some cheap oil a little bit and then change it with the good synth and quality filter. If the truck runs in particularly dusty conditions, it may be a good idea to increase the oil change frequency to compensate.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online