Engine speed blips around at 45-60mph

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I didn't even look or compare. I just put them in.

Any of your plastic pistons broken? Apparently it's a common issue but none of mine were broken.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah this kit isn't really about performance as much as some general improvements here and there. Amazing what just some (OK, a lot lol) of springs do.

Reactions: 6716

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, just the firmer shifts but I also think it helps its longevity. Mine had that slip and bump when slowing down. All gone and also no PWM mushiness. That's gotta help the TCC.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's why I install it in every 4L60E I get now.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
It's alive! Aliiiiiiiive!!!!!

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

Man I was sweating this job.

No, Mooseman, I didn't have any broken pistons, either. The 1-2 and the forward were both plastic, the 3-4 was aluminum. The forward accumulator was the dirtiest.

I put the 1-2 piston in wrong the first time, upside down and without the springs, but I managed to get it back out and put it right.

I didn't do the servo.

I didn't change / add any springs in the forward accumulator, I just put in the pinless piston and put it back together. I didn't see how to get that little pin out of the valve body and I didn't have much time, so I skipped that upgrade.

I also didn't do the pressure whatever that goes into the pump with the snap ring. That looked like a beeyatch and, like I say, I felt pressed for time.

I did drill all the .093" holes noted on the separator plate, but none of the others.

I put in a new filter and gasket .... had 28K miles on those, new's better, since I'm in there.

I did the TCC valve thingy that started the whole process, and a couple of other things in the valve body that I didn't entirely understand, but I followed the directions.

On the test drive the shifts are different than they were, I don't know if its good or bad or what, but I have lock up where I didn't before, and I have four forward gears and reverse, so that's always a good thing. At 55 mph I'm at about 1500 rpms, and there's a distinct note there that almost sounds like it's lugging ... but it's at 1500 rpms so I guess it's not.

Many, many thanks to everyone who made input, especially Sparky and Mooseman for the continued conversation.

I'm crossing my fingers that I can keep the pan on until it's time for a fluid / filter change.

Reactions: Mooseman and Mounce

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
After five days of driving on the shift kit, I like it.

Some folks have talked about how it seems there is a "fifth gear" after doing the shift kit. I haven't had that experience, but I notice I get to fourth gear sooner than I used to, sometimes in city traffic at like 42-43 mph. RPMS generally stay low at those speeds, a lot of times like 1200 RPMS or so, and it seems like I have TCC lock up with no slip as I accelerate or decelerat moderately. I think it should generally by slightly better for gas mileage.

There's a distinct engine/exhaust note I get with TCC lock-up, not bad, kinda throaty.

All in all it's just a tighter ride, smooth shifting.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sweet!

With the TCC mod, you will occasionally get 4th gear and it goes straight into lockup so you won't feel that last drop in rpm. When you ease on the gas and the tach is steady or doesn't bounce up you know it's in lockup.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
One more thing, when you install the vette servo, I would also install the Sonnax super hold servo at the same time. They go in the same location and it will increase holding power on the 4th gear clutches.

Little pricey but it's labor saved.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online