IMAG0165.jpg

Alpine = FIX
IMAG0289.jpg

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Metro STL 40 and Hampton By Forest Park
I'll definitely get in touch with you as soon as I get the head unit and all the required parts.Also did you install the reverse camera on yours?

So just to confirm things I need:

1)Wiring Harness for 02 Bravada
2)GENUINE AXXESS GMOS INTERFACE for GM 2000-20100 GMOS-04
3)Electrical Tape
4)Wire Strippers
plus the typical screwdrivers

Is that all.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
No reverse camera but If you get one I know the exact path needed to run it through. You need a dash kit the double din version and If I help Install no tools or supplies needed on your part

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
bravader said:
I'll definitely get in touch with you as soon as I get the head unit and all the required parts.Also did you install the reverse camera on yours?

So just to confirm things I need:

1)Wiring Harness for 02 Bravada
2)GENUINE AXXESS GMOS INTERFACE for GM 2000-20100 GMOS-04
3)Electrical Tape
4)Wire Strippers
plus the typical screwdrivers

Is that all.

the GMOS is the wiring harness, it gets wired directly to the the radio's harness, then gets pluged in to the factory harness.

jdoorn14

Mar 24, 2012
Me007gold said:
DSC_0724.jpg

Fit perfectly, no problems at all

I have this one in my TB. Perfect fit, and I'd highly recommend it (or the newer version of it). I don't have a pic with me at work, though.

Blckshdw said:
Not that it's super difficult or anything, but relatively speaking, attaching an adapter to your new radio, and plugging in some connectors in the dash is comparatively easier. I've taken apart the dash in a TB and Envoy, but not a Bravada. I can't imagine it's too much different. A couple screws here, couple clips there. If you've done it in other vehicles before, then it won't make you break much of a sweat. Hope that makes a lil more sense.

I have gotten to the point where I can have the dash apart to the point of getting to the head unit in a matter of minutes on my TB. Not sure how much different the Bravada is, but the one thing I'll caution is to put the shifter in Neutral and chock the wheels before disconnecting the battery (always smart when you're doing electrical work around wires that could conceivably blow your airbags). This makes it easier to maneuver around the 12V power ports. (I can't call them cigarette lighters, because I don't have a lighter to put in either of them.)

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
jdoorn14 said:
I have gotten to the point where I can have the dash apart to the point of getting to the head unit in a matter of minutes on my TB. Not sure how much different the Bravada is, but the one thing I'll caution is to put the shifter in Neutral and chock the wheels before disconnecting the battery (always smart when you're doing electrical work around wires that could conceivably blow your airbags). This makes it easier to maneuver around the 12V power ports. (I can't call them cigarette lighters, because I don't have a lighter to put in either of them.)

You can pull the Radio Fuse and just pull the harness out of the truck, Just makes things simpler we had a discussion about this on TV. More crap happens when dis and re connecting the battery might as well just cut the power to the radio and leave the battery alone. Shouldn't be to close to airbag wires, now if your pulling an entire dash all power to you but just a bezel a radio fuse would do IMHO

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
No reverse camera but If you get one I know the exact path needed to run it through. You need a dash kit the double din version and If I help Install no tools or supplies needed on your part

Cool man this is gonna make my ride rule. My friends are gonna be so jealous. And i'm pretty sure i'm going with this unit now with a warranty of course http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D1WJ4S/?tag=gmtnation-20

with camera less than $270 shipped.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
A license mount camera will look cleaner, that cam will either have to be drilled, or you can mount it up by the plate with its universal mount it just sticks out a bit, look at plate mount cams and see which one you like more.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
A license mount camera will look cleaner, that cam will either have to be drilled, or you can mount it up by the plate with its universal mount it just sticks out a bit, look at plate mount cams and see which one you like more.

Good I idea I see what you're saying I definitely like the plate mounted one better.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Here is how i'm guessing it would look. I know its sloppy I just threw in together real quick.View attachment 20098

Attachments

• camplate.jpg
    camplate.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 13
  • camplate.jpg
    camplate.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 28

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I would advise against PYLE, just another flea market brand. Alot of them have jittery touch screens, junk built in amplifiers, and just over build quality sucks. I went through this dilemma when picking out a new HU for my truck. I went with this one.

Sony XAV-62BT In-Dash Multimedia DVD Receiver w/ Bluetooth[query_id]=8312239&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1

Great price, HU functions very well and has a USB slot on the front for Ipod, thumb drives etc.

Also Youtube is your friend, you can find instructions for just about anything on youtube.

I will find a pic of my old HU later.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I would advise against PYLE, just another flea market brand. Alot of them have jittery touch screens, junk built in amplifiers, and just over build quality sucks. I went through this dilemma when picking out a new HU for my truck. I went with this one.

Sony XAV-62BT In-Dash Multimedia DVD Receiver w/ Bluetooth[query_id]=8312239&SearchClickout[Ignore]=1

Great price, HU functions very well and has a USB slot on the front for Ipod, thumb drives etc.

Also Youtube is your friend, you can find instructions for just about anything on youtube.

I will find a pic of my old HU later.

Thats a nice one... If only it had built in navigation to. Im at a standstill between that one and this one now:Amazon.com: XO Vision XOD1762NAV 7-Inch Double Din Touch Screen Car DVD Receiver with Built-In Navigation System: Car Electronics

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Read reviews. Not trying to downplay everything you look at but you get what you pay for. XO is owned by a company in China who makes a ton of other brands Valor, Nitro, and Tview to name a few. If it was for just say some drop down screens or head rest than it would be fine. However this controls your entire system, I know built in GPS sounds like a nice feature but every unit I have used it on is usually a PITA. A window mount one is usually better and you can keep your eyes on the road more often, rather than looking down etc. Besides you can pick up used Garmins for cheap now, even new ones are really cheap.

I am not saying it is junk because it was made in China, I am sure most of them have some parts if not the entire unit made there. It just helps making sure you pay for something that will last and work the way you expect it to.

Like I said read reviews, DO NOT take every bad review to heart though, to many people are way to picky. I see bad reviews on stuff from people who have never even seen the items.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Mods please merge this with my previous post.

The rear view camera is alot larger than that. My girl friends VW has the same one and it takes up pretty much the entire top of the license plate. Not a huge deal, It works pretty good too. She has a Clarion VX 401.

I went with a hanging one only so I could rotate it when needed, and It gives alot more freedom of movement. It is also HD and has a 180* viewing area, which is very nice with the trailer.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Yea thats a little to pricey but has yet a even cleaner look. Hell even Walmar't wireless system is cheaper then that.

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Read reviews. Not trying to downplay everything you look at but you get what you pay for. XO is owned by a company in China who makes a ton of other brands Valor, Nitro, and Tview to name a few. If it was for just say some drop down screens or head rest than it would be fine. However this controls your entire system, I know built in GPS sounds like a nice feature but every unit I have used it on is usually a PITA. A window mount one is usually better and you can keep your eyes on the road more often, rather than looking down etc. Besides you can pick up used Garmins for cheap now, even new ones are really cheap.

I am not saying it is junk because it was made in China, I am sure most of them have some parts if not the entire unit made there. It just helps making sure you pay for something that will last and work the way you expect it to.

Like I said read reviews, DO NOT take every bad review to heart though, to many people are way to picky. I see bad reviews on stuff from people who have never even seen the items.

Yeah I read the review,they are pretty mixed. I know its not top of the line the touch screen is slow etc.. But I just love how its all in one no need to buy the GPS interface or bluetooth interface like alot of major brands.I still have about a month or so before I get the funds to buy so I will probably change my mind again as i'm still looking.

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
Didn't get through the whole thread, but I would highly advise against any no name or low end double din units. They are what we call an oversized double din. They will not fit in a normal dash kit and since 99% of the no-name ones are 7" motorized screen, the kit needs to be modified so the screen can move, and even then getting it to sit just right takes way more work than any name brand unit. A lot of shops won't touch them because of the extra hassle. You will also need to do some minor plastic cutting behind the radio for pretty much any double din to sit in there correctly. Not to mention the nav generally is awful, the bluetooth has a built in mic which is a nightmare, and the units overall are just very quirkey. I will add some recommendations but in the meantime what type of phone do you have?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
MMIN said:
You will also need to do some minor plastic cutting behind the radio for pretty much any double din to sit in there correctly. Not to mention the nav generally is awful, the bluetooth has a built in mic which is a nightmare, and the units overall are just very quirkey. I will add some recommendations but in the meantime what type of phone do you have?

Never did any trimming for any of the DDIN units I have had in my truck (behind the radio). I have had a Pioneer Avic, a Panasonic CQ-VW100U, and currently the Sony XAV-62BT. All have fit with no modding, cutting etc.

Even the Panasonic had the motorized face which had plenty of clearance to move completely. I cannot speak for any of the no name units as the only one I ever installed was in a friends F-150

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
It all depends on the screen and how its placed on the unit. Kenwood in the TBSS, Jensen In The Explorer, Alpine in a Silverado No mod needed. The screen angle and how it opens can bite you and trim clearance, Trimming the back is simple but trimming a bezel kinda sucks its always visible

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
MMIN said:
Didn't get through the whole thread, but I would highly advise against any no name or low end double din units. They are what we call an oversized double din. They will not fit in a normal dash kit and since 99% of the no-name ones are 7" motorized screen, the kit needs to be modified so the screen can move, and even then getting it to sit just right takes way more work than any name brand unit. A lot of shops won't touch them because of the extra hassle. You will also need to do some minor plastic cutting behind the radio for pretty much any double din to sit in there correctly. Not to mention the nav generally is awful, the bluetooth has a built in mic which is a nightmare, and the units overall are just very quirkey. I will add some recommendations but in the meantime what type of phone do you have?

About the bluetooth having a built in microphone. I thought that was a good ideal since the new clarion that hasn't even been released yet touts that as a feature? Or does the quality vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? Anybody here ever had the mic built in or the mic elsewhere?

Clarion NX702 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have the mic mounted to the headliner beside the visor mount. Everyone says it sounds pretty clear. My gf has the mic built into the face of the unit, it works but is not very clear. Don't get me wrong it works, but the external mic is way clearer.

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
Internal mics just aren't a great idea - especially considering how drastically different the interiors are from car to car. Some cars they work great, some cars they are ok, some cars they are just bad. I would trust the built-in mic more on a name brand unit like a Clarion than a no-name unit, but would always give the better sound to the external mic. In the case of clarion if you look at the specs for the NX702: "Built-in Microphone and External Microphone Ready with Optional RCB204". It's a cost cutting measure to keep the price of the unit lower. We recently took out a customers Clarion NX501 in favor of a AVIC-Z based mainly on the bluetooth but there was one or two other features he needed the Pioneer for. You mentioned you weren't real picky so maybe a built-in mic would be OK for you. If the unit has voice recognition definately stay away from a built-in.

Never did any trimming for any of the DDIN units I have had in my truck (behind the radio).

You can get away with it on some units, but others there just isn't an option. I always cut just because it gives more room for all the cables and ensures the radio will sit correctly. Without cutting the radio has a tendency to aim slightly down and sometimes you have to really push to get the kit all the way in to screw it in. It also helps with air circulation as most radios have the fan on the back and that wall blocks it. I attached a pic of how I usually cut on these vehicles (or any GM really). Take a pliers and break off the two blue supports, then just score along the red once or twice with a fresh blade then break off clean.

View attachment 20105

Attachments

• radiocut.jpg
    radiocut.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 111

bravader

Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I'm looking at the higher end models but yet i'm still seeing some of the same reviews as the lower end ones. Such as slow responding touch screen,slow start up,rearview camera lag,navigation working when it wants to. What i'm looking for is a unit with built in GPS/Bluetooth,sd card and or usb support,fast startup,good touchscreen.

dennysemn

Mar 16, 2012
bravader said:
I'm looking at the higher end models but yet i'm still seeing some of the same reviews as the lower end ones. Such as slow responding touch screen,slow start up,rearview camera lag,navigation working when it wants to. What i'm looking for is a unit with built in GPS/Bluetooth,sd card and or usb support,fast startup,good touchscreen.

bravader, do you have the Bose amplifier system in your Bravada?

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
bravader said:
Here is how i'm guessing it would look. I know its sloppy I just threw in together real quick.View attachment 5725

Trust me when i say you don't want that camera! Quality is bad and it's huge! It yells out to people come and steal me. It's ugly and big in size! I had it on for about 3 weeks then took it off! I installed a new one last week, i'll share the pix later today :thumbsup:

GMOS-014 supports bose as well. I remember reading it on a thread somewhere here on GMT. It works both ways! I still haven't installed any HU yet but if the time is right and don't trade her in it's gonna be on my next to do list! :wootwoot:

Boricua SS man stop showing off your leds :tongue: I wish I could come to these meets it sux that i'm on the other side of the planet :rotfl:

nismo0886

Jan 10, 2012
nismo0886 said:
Here's mine o paid $350 for the head unit with the gmos harness and antenna adapter then paid a shop here $75 to install
View attachment 5971

Here's the actual pic of it the first time it didn't work

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334285661921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334285661921.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 60

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
fadyasha said:
Trust me when i say you don't want that camera! Quality is bad and it's huge! It yells out to people come and steal me. It's ugly and big in size! I had it on for about 3 weeks then took it off! I installed a new one last week, i'll share the pix later today :thumbsup:

GMOS-014 supports bose as well. I remember reading it on a thread somewhere here on GMT. It works both ways! I still haven't installed any HU yet but if the time is right and don't trade her in it's gonna be on my next to do list! :wootwoot:

Boricua SS man stop showing off your leds :tongue: I wish I could come to these meets it sux that i'm on the other side of the planet :rotfl:

Here's a pic of my rear cam was talking about. Excuse the dirt :tongue:

It's a bit out of place but that's cuz never did the full
Installation due to the adapter being wrong.

Once done I'll be sure everything fits perfect

60584389.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online