does ingition coil BRAND matter?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I'm looking into a P0302.

I have the #2 and #3 coils out. #2 is super dirty, looks like rust/oxidation on the coil, and there is a lot more in the hole on top of the plug. #3 looks pretty good, or at least way better than #2, and no orange-ish brown dust in the hole.

All the coils are original, 226Kmi, spark plug change 50K miles ago.

I'm not running too badly, consistent idle speed, runs fine even with the a/c on. Some valve tick and dieseling, but that's been for a while, and oil just changed 500 miles ago.

So I guess with the coil looking that bad, and the hole looking like that I'm wondering if it is worth it to switch coils around to isolate the issue or just replace the #2 coil right off.

And even if I do switch them around first and discover that I have a bad coil, if I wanted to replace it immediately, does coil brand matter?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Is the coil rusty? Or just the wire/spring assembly? I know you can buy/replace just the assembly. If it's just the wire assembly, I'd take it off the coil, remove the spring and clean off any corrosion Re-assemble, re-install in the engine and see if you're still getting the P0302.
I'm not sure about brands.

Reactions: 6716

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looks like moisture was getting in, probably a bad seal. I'd replace it with an ACDelco or Delphi. I had a newish one in #4 that was different than the other originals and it died before the others. Had a spare original and it's been fine since.

Reactions: djthumper and 6716

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Mooseman said:
Looks like moisture was getting in, probably a bad seal.
Now that you mention it, the rubber gasket dropped right off the #2 coil when I took it off, but it stayed attached to the #3. I'll bet that's it.

signalnc

Dec 28, 2012
I had purchased some BWD coils and two of them went bad after 2 years....seemed like they should last longer.

Mike w

Jun 24, 2014
signalnc said:
I had purchased some BWD coils and two of them went bad after 2 years....seemed like they should last longer.
our motor is a 4.2 inline 6 not 4.3 v6

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mounce said:
Where did he say it was a v6? I don't see it in this thread.
His profile info is incorrect ATM :coffee:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Probably. I know they would be if you got them at O'Reilly's, most of their parts come with a lifetime warranty if you keep the receipt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online