NEED HELP Does a Tech2 Scanner need a Candi-Interface for a 2005 Trailblazer EXT I6 4.2L 2WD?

FXSTS

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Florida
It seemed to me that I had come across similar information, but don't recall where. But, that happens when you're old as a rock!

Thanks. Stay Safe.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One way to find out is try without it.

CMAUS

Mar 21, 2020
SPARROWS POINT 21219
Last week I hooked my Tech 2 to a 2005 Chev. Silverado 2500, 6L pick-up
truck. I entered it as a Medium Duty Truck. The Tech 2 requested that
I hook up the Candi module. I did and worked fine. I know this truck has the CAN
bus because when I went to SPS it had stored 1 operating system plus 6 different
modules and their calibration numbers. However I tried using LD [Light Duty] truck
and didn't hook up the Candi and it still worked fine? Maybe this was the change over
year using both OBD II and CAN buses? Sometimes you can use OBD II on certain
tests, but certain tests it requires the Candi? Hope this helps.

FXSTS

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Florida
Thanks for the Wiki link. Most informative.

After much research (most of it seemed redundant) - add to that Comments & Posts from users - and I have concluded that the Tech2 Clone is a licensed device (purchased by Chinese) and that it comes with GM Software that covers my 2005 Trailblazer EXT LS 4.2L I-6.

I could not find the Hand Unit, as a separate purchase (lack of research?) that seemed reliable.
So I ended up buying a complete kit that includes the Candi-Interface module & software - should I need it for other vehicles in the future.

Thanks for all the advice & information. GMTNation is a good group.

PS - For those stuck inside during the Covid-19 world-impact, I offer a really good read that is based on actual U.S. History that FEW PEOPLE know about. This story has the BEST Outlaw-story ENDING Ever! So, do not peek at the ending - just read the story and go along for an extraordinary read. It's a Page-Turner.
Enjoy!
And, everyone Stay Safe!

Attachments

• Cover - Wanted Dead - The Legend of Henry Berry Lowrie.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
After much research (most of it seemed redundant) - add to that Comments & Posts from users - and I have concluded that the Tech2 Clone is a licensed device (purchased by Chinese) and that it comes with GM Software that covers my 2005 Trailblazer EXT LS 4.2L I-6.

I doubt that very much. US Customs has been seizing these from China as documented in these posts.

GM has registered the trademarks Tech 2 and Tis2000 with Customs and that anything coming from China will be seized with the risk of adding hefty fines for the importer.

FXSTS

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Florida
Well, that's not good news. But thanks for the update.

I ordered from a firm that ships from the UK. So, hopefully, they still have a unit in stock to send me.

I'll post an update if/when I receive my order.

FXSTS

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Florida
Well, although I ordered the Tech2 (without the case) -- it did NOT ship from the UK - as advertised. Am I shocked? No. It shipped from Singapore and arrived TODAY -- therefore it took 6 day to ship via DHL.

There were no U.S. Customs issues because all the LOGOS and Labels have not been put on the devices. Therefore, no Trademark issues.
I loaded the PCMCIA CARD per the Vetronics Tech2 Manual Instructions (TOP SLOT) and ran the Initializing Sequence. The product is as advertised and works just fine!
I'm pleased.

HOWEVER -- to use the Candi Software on a Windows 10 64-bit PC you MUST USE a Virtual BOX to run Windows XP -- BECAUSE Windows 10 can ONLY RUN 64-bit & 32-bit software.
GOOD NEWS - the Candi-Interface software runs AS 32-bit.
BAD NEWS - the Candi-Interface INSTALLATION Software runs AS 16-bit.

I plan to install the Virtual Box to run the Candi on my Desktop PC.
I'll also be stopping Pawnshops to see if they have any cheap/working laptops running XP.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The CANDi UART in-line High Speed Interface to the Tech 2 Clone Scanner is independent from whichever Windows Platform gets used on the Computer sporting the TIS2000 and SPS PASS-THRU activities; whether 16,32 or 64 Bit. The device is forward and backwards compatible with ALL versions of the supported Tech 2 Software.

So if you need to use an Old Laptop with an earlier Windows version from Windows 95, 98 and Windows XP in the 32 Bit Flavor... the CANDi Unit will definitely still function. But would you rather just get on with using and enjoying your new "GYMKO" Clone... or having to mess about with using the VM-Ware and Old Windows virtually on your 64 Bit Box?

To that end, among the other ...'redundant'... Threads you mentioned... there is a "Sticky" Thread penned in the Tech 2 Sub-Forum describing the use of Windows 10 in the 32 Bit Version on an inexpensive RCA Cambio 2 Tablet that will directly accept the TIS2000 16 Bit Installation. Considering this solution path will not only keep you from having to haunt any Pawn Shops for cast-off and forgotten Laptops of specious operational pedigrees, but as a lightweight unit with LONG Battery Life and Modern Computing accoutrements, it will prove useful to you in so many other ways.

The bottom line is that using such a contemporary Windows Tablet will ALSO allow for the unencumbered installation and seamless functionality of Bosch Vetronix TIS2000 Software in conjunction with using a Tripplite Model# 19H-USA USB to Serial Port Adapter. There a few 'hidden secrets' in that Thread that will make it all possible ...with the greatest of ease.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online