Delete chrome bar across grill

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
PA
I don't know if anyone else has deleted the chrome bar that goes the grill, but when I bought my truck, it was already broken. So I took it off today. I like it better with it off, but what can I use to fill in the spaces in the headlights?

Attachments

• 17635377_1374300992606270_6198720385170832007_o.jpg
    17635377_1374300992606270_6198720385170832007_o.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 48

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How about the pieces from the bar? Just cut them to the edge of the headlight. This is from an '08 LT who used aftermarket lights for an older/LS model.
drivers-jpg.78083

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
PA
that's an option, thanks.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
First thing that came to my mind...

Replace the grill...lose the bowtie remnants, & replace w/ a finer / tighter diamond pattern. Matte black, not chrome (unless you prefer it, but I'll guess that you dont.)

As for the headlamps...what about some LEDs mounted behind the gap - either a straight single strip, or use your imagination. You could even do a variable brightness thing with them (day / night). I'd stay with the white lamps, though. That would give you a fresh / current look on those headlamps, as well as giving you (a little) more functional lighting for night driving.

What I can't tell you is how to install the LEDs - but there's a whole forum section dedicated to it.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
Mine wasn't broken, but fake plastic chrome crap is so 1990's I pulled it off, plasti-dipped it BLACK and stuck it back on till I either find a grille I like or have to money to put into color matching a bunch of pieces (door handles, which would involve buying new "smooth" ones since mine are textured, side mirror and grille) plus some touchup work on the rear bumper where some paint chipped off.

You could do the Reverse of what that one guy with the LT did and get the LT headlights although personally I am NOT a fan of the LT headlights.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
PA
so far I've just taken off the plastic chrome bar and left the 2 holes in the center of the lights open. I sprayed the grill gloss black and sprayed the bow tie body color and screwed it back on. I looks pretty good like that. I'll have to remember to take a pic and upload it. I still can't figure out what to do with the center light holes though. Leave them open, or fabricate a LED pod to put there? Decisions.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you could put an LED pod there for DRLs and make it look good that could be interesting.

Reactions: Tiggerr

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
PA
that's what I was thinking, as DRLs. The first thing I do after I turn the truck on is turn on the fog lights and then turn the switch one click to the left so the headlights are off. I'd like to wire them so they come on with the fogs. I don't want something too bright so it would be like I'm running high beams all the time, but just a little brighter than the DRLs. I don't know anything at all right now about where I want to start, but I'm reading and learning a lot.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I don't know if anyone else has deleted the chrome bar that goes the grill, but when I bought my truck, it was already broken. So I took it off today. I like it better with it off, but what can I use to fill in the spaces in the headlights?

I cut out the plastic behind the bar for extra cooling and replaced it with a metal mesh. The mesh is finer than the original and reduces the number of large objects that can hit the condenser.

Attachments

• tb front.JPG
    tb front.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 37

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mynamesjeff

Members Online