Data Link fuses

David11946

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
New York
Hi everyone.

I've gotten some of my worst problems solved by just reading threads and posts here.at GMT Nation but, I haven't found a thread quite like this one yet. I've recently bought a scanner to help trouble shoot problems with my TB on my own. When the scanner wouldn't work, I thought it was defective. I then learned that the Data link connector was fused so, I looked under the hood as directed. I found that the fuse was missing so I replaced it only to have the new fuse blow as soon as I reconnected the negative battery terminal (this happened twice).

Would anyone possibly know why the #13 fuse would blow? What else runs with this fuse that may be shorting out the fuse? Is there something else that I may not have covered? I'm by no means an electrical guy but it shouldn't be this difficult,...should it?
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

i

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It runs the data link connector and the accessory outlet in the dash under the HVAC controls. Lots of folks have damaged contacts inside the accessory outlet and they short out. Easy to look at from the back if you take the dash trim off. You might also see something from the front, like some prankster put aluminum foil or a gum wrapper in there.

David11946

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
New York
the roadie said:
It runs the data link connector and the accessory outlet in the dash under the HVAC controls. Lots of folks have damaged contacts inside the accessory outlet and they short out. Easy to look at from the back if you take the dash trim off. You might also see something from the front, like some prankster put aluminum foil or a gum wrapper in there.

I remember a former co-worker connecting his scanner to it once and he was able to read codes on it. So, it did work at one time. However, the car was towed once about one and a half years ago. They would have been the only people to have access to it long enough to do that. The TB has never been anywhere (with the keys) long enough for that to happen. Good points, though. I will look for those very carefully. Thanks Roadie.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
David11946 said:
I remember a former co-worker connecting his scanner to it once and he was able to read codes on it. So, it did work at one time. However, the car was towed once about one and a half years ago. They would have been the only people to have access to it long enough to do that. The TB has never been anywhere (with the keys) long enough for that to happen. Good points, though. I will look for those very carefully. Thanks Roadie.

Im sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but some scantools (the higher quality ones) do not require battery voltage at the DLC and can work even when the fuse is blown. Whereas the cheaper ones and such require battery voltage to be present at the connector to communicate with the system.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online